Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:45:04 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Barclays closing bank accounts related to Bitcoin  (Read 3966 times)
gsingh (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:33:47 AM

Hi,

Just want to share my Barclays experience with you guys here.

I opened an account in Barclays so that I can sell or buy coins at bitbargain.co.uk. They opened my account and after 3 days I received a letter that they will be closing my account soon. They haven't given me any specific reason.

Then I came across to this post.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1sgcm6/my_bank_has_frozen_my_account_because_i_sent/

I have another account with Natwest and I have been using that account for buying coins from localbitcoins. My guess is that they did some sort of history check and didn't like that I have been buying Bitcoins. 

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 11:50:34 AM

I believe they are spooked by the POSSIBILITY of money laundering. So, they would rather have one less banking customer then a fine in the millions  Cool

I don't bank with Barclays, but they shouldn't be that bad. Have you actually spoke to them in person? Just drop in, pay-in a cheque or something and ask what the problem is.
gsingh (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:53:30 AM

I'm very curious actually, I'm going to branch today. Hopefully they will clarify this matter.

I'll update this thread.

cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 01:26:55 PM

Slightly ironic been as Barclays has an entire building dedicated to tax evasion for corporations/rich people  Grin. I've had an account with these shitheads for about 15 years and I've had nothing but hassle, will be interesting to hear what they say at your local branch.

If you can be bothered, you could complain to a financial ombudsman: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

Better yet try joining, or start your own credit union.
gsingh (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:51:23 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 02:16:02 PM by gsingh

I really started to hate Banks now. Can't wait for the day when Banks will be an option!

Anyway, I went to branch and they said their review panel is not happy with the details I provided and they can't give me any more information. I can try to reopen account after a year or two Huh.

canada

Activity: 66

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:09:18 PM

in this interview with charlie shrem, he said the bank told him in so many words btc will be a competitor to banks so they will make it difficult for business accounts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tWtTsvmHJg

guess now it might be spilling over to user accounts ..

don't trust banks. ahem barclays and libor scandal
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 09:44:00 PM

Has anyone proactively asked their bank about their stance on Bitcoin? FirstDirect seem very happy to chat generally, but not sure how much control over the account they have, given they're backed by HSBC. Might give them a call some time anyway. (And has anyone had any issues with using an HSBC/FirstDirect account for trading?)

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
lindatess

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:59:15 AM

Yes, it's best to sell/buy in cash. You should always ask for this option.

Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:49:34 AM

Dinosaurs trying to fight off the inevitable
Pathetic behaviour but logical

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:09:28 AM

This was pointed out elsewhere.
Virgin Money in the UK is owned by Richard Branson, who also owns some bitcoins and recently said he accepts them for Virgin Galactic flights.

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/

Can't see them closing bitcoin user accounts.

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 11:26:45 AM

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/
Can't see them closing bitcoin user accounts.

This is promising. May be Virgin Money has a different stance on bitcoin user bank accounts. Certainly worth a go.
If we are lucky, may be we can buy and sell bitcoins directly from the bank in a few years' time? (dream on)
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:03:02 PM

I saw some of these and it's strange they knew you were selling bitcoins as the transactions themselves don't indicate anything . Did all the money go through properly with no "chargeback" issues? or do they somehow recognize payments related to bitcoins?
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:08:07 PM

I saw some of these and it's strange they knew you were selling bitcoins as the transactions themselves don't indicate anything . Did all the money go through properly with no "chargeback" issues? or do they somehow recognize payments related to bitcoins?

its more likely the exchanges bank accs are on a red list and when they saw him dealing with BTC exchanges they decided to shut
him down in case he was laundering  or evading tax or  whatever weak excuse they could come up with

notable that they didnt give him a reason for his account closure so he could have a counter argument that his BTC came from honest work tc
efc17

Activity: 68

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:53:05 PM

Thanks for the info,

I find that worrying. 
Does anyone know if this would apply to Barclays pingit?  I have it linked to a non-Barclays a/c and use it to buy/sell BTC from time to time.

3KNSWuue88Rtn9GY6XV3tQTQUd3MwaDuKW
MFqZJ2YQzuFMKSNqmu8uh6xoqqM3FDFrwt
https://www.gate.io/hodl?ref=3553
Jcw188

Activity: 546

Carpe Diem

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:14:42 PM

Slightly ironic been as Barclays has an entire building dedicated to tax evasion for corporations/rich people  Grin. I've had an account with these shitheads for about 15 years and I've had nothing but hassle, will be interesting to hear what they say at your local branch.

If you can be bothered, you could complain to a financial ombudsman: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

Better yet try joining, or start your own credit union.

If you're rich enough, they'll help you do whatever you want.  It's us poor people who they act all high and mighty about.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:22:32 PM

Thanks for the info,

I find that worrying. 
Does anyone know if this would apply to Barclays pingit?  I have it linked to a non-Barclays a/c and use it to buy/sell BTC from time to time.

if you opened them both with the same id,name ,date of birth or national insurance number theyre probably linked whether you like it or not

one way around maybe if you have a wife or gf ,brothers or sisters ,parents etc who could help out with accs

im not 100% sure but id imagine ANY account that is sending or recieving  shitloads of cash to mt gox or another exchange
will be under scrutiny and eventualy red flagged for investigation or frozen or in your case just point blank closed

Without any proof they cant accuse you outright of being a tax cheat ,money launderer or even  silk rd  dealer but thats probablly a possible  liability theyre considering by closing your account for no reason given

Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:07:39 PM

It's a shame really. The Banks see Bitcoin as competition. It's not going anywhere. The logical thing to do would be to embrace it, rather than fight against it.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 09:02:39 PM

I'm very glad I stumbled across this thread as my 2nd bank account is a Barclays one (and I have PingIt setup too.It's tied to my Barclays one).I don't use it as my main account so nothing gets lost if it's closed.

The reason I'm concerned is I've done several trades with BTC involving my barclays account (all exchanges from BTC to GBP) but does the act of using Mt Gox or a private seller like I've done recently (as Mt Gox is taking a long time to verify my ID) affect my Barclays account at all? Or am I worrying a bit too much? I'd appreciate some clearer guidance on this.Thanks Smiley

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 09:54:31 PM

I'm very glad I stumbled across this thread as my 2nd bank account is a Barclays one (and I have PingIt setup too.It's tied to my Barclays one).I don't use it as my main account so nothing gets lost if it's closed.

The reason I'm concerned is I've done several trades with BTC involving my barclays account (all exchanges from BTC to GBP) but does the act of using Mt Gox or a private seller like I've done recently (as Mt Gox is taking a long time to verify my ID) affect my Barclays account at all? Or am I worrying a bit too much? I'd appreciate some clearer guidance on this.Thanks Smiley

I think the main thing to remember is that bank accounts aren't kept open purely for your benefit (as a customer) - they're more just a way for banks to look after and use your money. Defending against fraud is more important to banks as it affects their actual bottom line, rather than whether a few people decide to "like" their bank or not.

From what I've seen, there are 2 things to look out for - firstly, risk of "infection" from accounts involved in fraudulent activity, such as money laundering. And secondly, "abnormal patterns" which flag up "unusual" activity against an account. Setting up an account recently, I noticed they ask a few questions about expected incomings/outgoings, so it may be worth asking in advance about this, to avoid going outside expected bounds. A bit like telling them you're going to be using your card abroad.

Whether you actually have any control over either of these is another matter, natch.

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:03:21 PM

I think the main thing to remember is that bank accounts aren't kept open purely for your benefit (as a customer) - they're more just a way for banks to look after and use your money. Defending against fraud is more important to banks as it affects their actual bottom line, rather than whether a few people decide to "like" their bank or not.

From what I've seen, there are 2 things to look out for - firstly, risk of "infection" from accounts involved in fraudulent activity, such as money laundering. And secondly, "abnormal patterns" which flag up "unusual" activity against an account. Setting up an account recently, I noticed they ask a few questions about expected incomings/outgoings, so it may be worth asking in advance about this, to avoid going outside expected bounds. A bit like telling them you're going to be using your card abroad.

Whether you actually have any control over either of these is another matter, natch.
Thanks a lot.I appreciate the insight into how banks think as opening account for customers has to benefit them (the banks) as well as the process can seem mysterious at times to the consumer as well Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: