Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:42:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt / bitcoind version 0.8.6 released  (Read 34089 times)
rgenito

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 10:54:04 PM

Bah, I forgot to code-sign the Windows .exe. Expect an updated .exe and SHASUMS soon.

...You know better, and that's just down-right fishy. With your position in this community, that is just inappropriate and unacceptable.

Yay to speak freely Smiley

https://geni.app - Genius – The Crypto Solution to Retirement
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:04:44 PM

Upgraded from working 0.8.5 on OS X 10.7.5. on MacBook Pro 8.3.
New 0.8.6 crashes upon init - first and every time.
Downgrade back to 0.8.5 now has same failure upon init:

Code:
Assertion failed: (pfork != NULL), function SetBestChain, file src/main.cpp, line 1759.

Opened incident on github, included entire Mac "Problem Report for Bitcoin-QT". Is there any additional info I might provide to the devs?

In the meantime, what can I try to restore operation?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 12:20:04 AM

Opened incident on github, included entire Mac "Problem Report for Bitcoin-QT". Is there any additional info I might provide to the devs?

You will want to be using the latest version on OSX, it resolves several problems on that platform.

Try restarting the new client with the rebuild database index option and let it process, by running this command from the terminal:

Code:
$ open /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app --args -reindex
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:01:48 AM

Hows everyone liking Version 0.8.6?
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 05:51:45 AM

Hows everyone liking Version 0.8.6?

Love it.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:19:34 AM

You will want to be using the latest version on OSX, it resolves several problems on that platform.

Try restarting the new client with the rebuild database index option and let it process, by running this command from the terminal:

Code:
$ open /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app --args -reindex

Did it. Fixed it. Thanks.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:54:00 PM

Ok, This is embarrassing to ask but since I'm not seeing anyone else ask I'm just gonna. I'm afraid that if I upgrade I will lose my wallet addresses. That's why I've never upgraded Bitcoin-QT, I'm still running version 0.8.3. Am I just being unreasonable, or should I back up first? I've got a Mac.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 02:05:22 PM

Ok, This is embarrassing to ask but since I'm not seeing anyone else ask I'm just gonna. I'm afraid that if I upgrade I will lose my wallet addresses. That's why I've never upgraded Bitcoin-QT, I'm still running version 0.8.3. Am I just being unreasonable, or should I back up first? I've got a Mac.

Lol no

But you better be encrypted and backed up anyway. You really need to be updated. Policies change. And an older one almost forked us.

fryarminer

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 02:06:49 PM

Answered my own question I think: wallet.dat is in the users/library/... folder so it won't be affected by the drag and drop of Bitcoin-QT.
fryarminer

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 02:08:52 PM

Lol no

But you better be encrypted and backed up anyway. You really need to be updated. Policies change. And an older one almost forked us.

Thanks! Gonna update now. I'd hate to get forked! I'm encrypted and backed up, but I've added addresses since the backup. I just backed up again.
fryarminer

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 02:13:47 PM

Haha! That was seamless. I'm an idiot for never updating!
btcpay86

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

全球O2O消费商

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 12:24:21 AM

tks

1. Jeunesse, Redefining YOUTH.  婕斯,重新定义年轻。| 该生病而不生病,该老化却很年轻,正是婕斯“沛泉菁华”的奥秘所在。
    为了大家实现财务自由的梦想,敬请关注婕斯全球直销网站: http://haccp.jeunesseglobal.com
2. 捐赠 Donations:  BTC - 12QSDXfUq6B2ywer8xJeQYbiV7A7E8yB3H
God_FatheR

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 07:55:06 AM

When 64 bit version will be out?? Should i download the new version asap, am i in risk by not doing it?
web-project

Activity: 37

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 12:56:22 AM

one negative issue with Bitcoin-Qt v0.8.6 client, it takes more than 8 hours to sync the client with network on 120Mb/s connection, slightly very long process, I think the reason behind the data is based one server instead of several geo locations.
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 09:37:48 AM

one negative issue with Bitcoin-Qt v0.8.6 client, it takes more than 8 hours to sync the client with network on 120Mb/s connection, slightly very long process, I think the reason behind the data is based one server instead of several geo locations.
Look at your cpu usage while downloading, especially after reaching the "20 weeks behind" point. You will see CPU being the bottleneck. Bitcoin verifies the ECDSA signatures in every transaction to ensure they are authorized payments, only better CPU or code optimizations will really improve this.

Verifying an ECDSA signature takes about 3 ms. Let's say the typical transaction has 2 inputs. Each transaction is verified twice, once alone and once in a block. (12 ms)
web-project

Activity: 37

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 10:28:54 PM

Look at your cpu usage while downloading, especially after reaching the "20 weeks behind" point. You will see CPU being the bottleneck. Bitcoin verifies the ECDSA signatures in every transaction to ensure they are authorized payments, only better CPU or code optimizations will really improve this.

Verifying an ECDSA signature takes about 3 ms. Let's say the typical transaction has 2 inputs. Each transaction is verified twice, once alone and once in a block. (12 ms)

I noticed that last weeks of sync taking more time and the software using almost 2GB of RAM.
Sydboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:25:03 AM

Will this version be compatible with my token ring ethernet LAN configuration?
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 07:12:00 PM

Wot??? Are you sending this message from 1990?

As long as your computer has a normal TCP/IP stack and can get on the Internet and run other Internet applications, Bitcoin should work.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4410
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 01:27:59 AM

Wot??? Are you sending this message from 1990?

As long as your computer has a normal TCP/IP stack and can get on the Internet and run other Internet applications, Bitcoin should work.
They have the Internet on computers now?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
anlongsun

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:43:00 AM

Can Bitcoin wallet support other coins like litecoin or Gogecoin at same time? As you know there are so many coins now.

If it does not support other coins, do you have any plan for it?

Or if no plan, is there another project that is working on a wallet that supports multiple coins?

Regards
Anlongsun
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: