Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:02:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any way to backup Cryptsy data in case your coins disappear?  (Read 973 times)
medialab101 (OP)

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:56:30 PM

Have been hearing a lot of stories about coins going missing on Cryptsy. Is there any way to backup data so that you can dispute balances in the event that something goes wrong? Makes me nervous as I have tens of thousands of dollars worth of coins on their site.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
roadsterreplica

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:08:03 PM

Store them in your own wallet on the clients in your own computer, then send them there when you want to trade.

Someone needs to make a multi-currency mini-wallet soon.
medialab101 (OP)

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:10:50 PM

Store them in your own wallet on the clients in your own computer, then send them there when you want to trade.

Someone needs to make a multi-currency mini-wallet soon.

The problem is that I want to have access to them to trade/ convert into fiat. There is a big lag if I put them in cold storage. I just want some way of independently verifying/ recording the numbers that Cryptsy posts to my account.
Slingshot

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:44:35 PM

Agreed it would be helpful to have a CSV download feature there.
+1

And yes, store them in your own wallet(s). Leaving coins anywhere indefinitely ends either well, or badly. No in between.

Of course if you only have one PC, and your security is lacking, and you never update it with security updates as well as patch things like flash and adobe reader then it's a bit trickier but if you have so much online it's best to pop for a dedicated wallet PC that is used for nothing but that. And don't leave it connected to the internet all the time, but instead only when updating wallets and what not.

That PC doesn't have to be new, but at least a 64bit dual core would be wise. Quad Core much the better if you have many types of Crypto's and it will be rapidly updating the Qt's often as well.  And with a new or wiped hard drive to start out with, and loading a clean install of your favorite 64 bit OS, your then good to go as long as you keep it fully updated and secured well! Long, Complex Pass-phrases are a given and a must btw.

As for a dedicated Cold Storage PC that always stays offline for Amory wallets; Yea, that's extremely wise too. Or the Electrum Wallets, or Multibit. Especially for larger sums it's only prudent.

And a PC for nothing but Trading and Online Banking is also wiser still.

Then your Surfing PC.

And don't cross contaminate PC's with things like flash drives.

From Trojans to Keyloggers the internet is no friend to crypto wallets. Beware. It will only grow more dangerous as values soar.

As many hacks and thefts as there are these days with crypto it's wise to secure them yourself. Note: also that gives one time to calm down and not merely panic sell for what usually is a lack of liquidity or mass stupidity/panic. Only to see higher prices rather soon after.

This is a long term uptrend until it ends. And it's not likely to end any time soon either.

Add to that the Exchanges are not stable, nor reliable when demand hit's panic levels since things have gone into the mad dash mode with hordes of newbie's rushing in, and well it's not wise to churn one's account.

Also, day trading and what not is not so wise at any rate, much less in unstable Exchanges seeing exponential growth and demand.

Nor with lots of idle coins with one major hack/robbery every week or so lately.

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!
cerleo

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:38:48 PM

Yes,it's good to keep your coins in a wallet.It's convenient and if you want to send them somewhere you can always do it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: