Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:14:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory and yubikey  (Read 1121 times)
segeln (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:33:01 PM

Are there plans for yubikey operating in Armory for additional security?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Automatic

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:38:49 PM

I don't see where the security would fall? It's all client sided, there's nowhere to 'verify' with, anyone could easily spoof the yubico authentication server reply, or, just recompile armory to ignore it, and, it'd be bypassed.

Yubikey only works when the local client:-
1. Isn't doing the check itself
2. Isn't the one performing the action

Blockchain.info can implement it, because:-
1. The client sends the code to blockchain to check
2. The client never actually sends any bitcoins, it sends it to blockchain to forward the bitcoins on.

EDIT:- Always forget the '.info', and it makes it confusing.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
segeln (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:52:16 PM

anyone could easily spoof the yubico authentication server reply, or, just recompile armory to ignore it, and, it'd be bypassed.
but yubikey does not  send any informations to a server.the passphrases are built and generated in the yubikey
Automatic

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 04:03:59 PM

anyone could easily spoof the yubico authentication server reply, or, just recompile armory to ignore it, and, it'd be bypassed.
but yubikey does not  send any informations to a server.the passphrases are built and generated in the yubikey

Which are sent to the Yubico servers and verified against the private key that they had since you made it, unless I'm incorrect?

Source for my accusations:-
Line #59 to #65:-
https://github.com/Yubico/yubico-java-client/blob/master/v2client/src/main/java/com/yubico/client/v2/YubicoClient.java#L59

The entire class, but, mainly the return on line #132:-
https://github.com/Yubico/yubico-java-client/blob/master/v2client/src/main/java/com/yubico/client/v2/YubicoValidationService.java#L132

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
segeln (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 04:30:20 PM

Which are sent to the Yubico servers and verified against the private key that they had since you made it, unless I'm incorrect?

https://github.com/Yubico/yubico-java-client/blob/master/v2client/src/main/java/com/yubico/client/v2/YubicoClient.java#L59

https://github.com/Yubico/yubico-java-client/blob/master/v2client/src/main/java/com/yubico/client/v2/YubicoValidationService.java#L132

Hi Automatic,
since I am not so experienced in PC-Technologie I can`t follow your accusations.
I thought (and I think still) there are  no informations sent during Login with yubikey .
The OTP runs immediately as it is shown in the login-button as you press the yubikey Key.
there is no time to send Informations to yubikey Servers and getting back verified.
Automatic

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 04:49:07 PM

Hi Automatic,
since I am not so experienced in PC-Technologie I can`t follow your accusations.
I thought (and I think still) there are  no informations sent during Login with yubikey .
The OTP runs immediately as it is shown in the login-button as you press the yubikey Key.
there is no time to send Informations to yubikey Servers and getting back verified.

Yes, it's generated on the Yubikey the second you hit the button and not sent to the Yubico servers, but, who knows if that code is legitimate? Only Yubico, so, the program has to ship that little code off to Yubico and Yubico either returns with a "Valid" or "Invalid" response once you login to the service.

How it knows (From what I've gathered) is that the Yubikey output is 48bytes, 16 bytes are unique to the Yubikey (and never change, the first sixteen characters), and, the last thirty two bytes change, they change based on mainly one thing, the number of times you've pressed the button (They also change based on how many milliseconds since you plugged the device in, a random seed implemented at manufacturing, how many times you've pushed the button this session, etc...).

Now, this is shipped off to Yubico, and, they verify if the amount of times you've pushed the button is more than the last time you pushed the button, if so, they validate you, if not, they don't. This means if I push the button three times, then send the last code off, then send either of the other two codes, they'll know they've been sent out-of-order and disallow the first and second code.

The ONLY way I can see Yubikey being implemented into Armory is if you encrypt your wallet using the static password feature of the Yubico Yubikey, which, currently already works, unfortunately, with the design of the Yubico Yubikey, this uses up one of your two configurable slots.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: