Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:35:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 BFL 60gh in cold weather  (Read 1958 times)
dan9575 (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:38:48 PM

I need to make room for my sister and there's no room left in the house to put these mining rigs because they make so much noise. I was wondering if it would be okay if I put them outside in one of these expensive pre-built sheds that kind of looks like a mini house. It has electricity and snow never gets inside it. I'm just worried it'll get too cold, I live in upstate ny. I was thinking of setting up the 2 bfl's and have a crappy laptop right in front of it so the laptop doesn't get cold. Would this work?
dan9575 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:41:14 PM

or maybe the garage? I kind of don't want to put it in the garage because when I open the garage door, snow will blow inside.
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:43:25 PM

The only thing I would worry about is moisture, might not be a bad idea to put some plastic wrap as a sort of tent around them, but otherwise if your WiFi reaches out there you should be good to go.  I wouldn't worry about them getting "too cold"

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
dan9575 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:50:24 PM

thanks, I just thought about it more, I think I'll put it in the garage and throw up some tarps around it, so no snow gets to it.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 09:57:23 PM

If you live in a area high with humidity I would be a bit worried about condense. You have to make sure that the device has a constant temperature, and should not be cold when you start it up outside. The laptop might get some problems if the temperature goes below 0 degree Celsius, since most consumer items are not designed for sub zero environment, I believe the harddrive and LCD would be compromised.  

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 10:00:07 PM

thanks, I just thought about it more, I think I'll put it in the garage and throw up some tarps around it, so no snow gets to it.

I would also be a bit carfull with the tarps, be sure its not completely enclosing the device, since the chassis itself is important to release heat - so you need some space "like a tent" as mentioned before.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 11:23:38 PM

I need to make room for my sister and there's no room left in the house to put these mining rigs because they make so much noise. I was wondering if it would be okay if I put them outside in one of these expensive pre-built sheds that kind of looks like a mini house. It has electricity and snow never gets inside it. I'm just worried it'll get too cold, I live in upstate ny. I was thinking of setting up the 2 bfl's and have a crappy laptop right in front of it so the laptop doesn't get cold. Would this work?

WTF.  I've seen BFL's left outside, in garages, in sheds, etc.   Seems like a great idea.  (not so much)

seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:49:37 AM

The only thing I would worry about is moisture, might not be a bad idea to put some plastic wrap as a sort of tent around them, but otherwise if your WiFi reaches out there you should be good to go.  I wouldn't worry about them getting "too cold"

what does moisture have anything to do with this?

please dont make me laugh.... seriously.
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:21:39 AM

condensation aka moisture is water which is bad for most electrical devices.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
seriouscoin

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:50:16 AM

LOL

see i told you dont make me laugh....

Do you know how condensation is formed?

miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 02:47:16 AM

LOL

see i told you dont make me laugh....

Do you know how condensation is formed?

Don't do it.   It's going to be a sh*t show with facts and learning and stuff.

The fans in the device will pull in dust and moisture (and hair) and blow it over the cooling fins.  Some of that air will also flow around the PCB leaving some (water particles) moisture and dust/dirt/grime/whatever the F people make into a particulate around their house shed garage etc.  This gums up cooling fans and can cause issues if the board gets a coating.  especially if you get a good moist dusty bunny coating and then the device turns off making it ice up and then heats up again and "doesn't like it."

That is All.

ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:40:36 AM

Did you know there is usually more moisture in the air in your house than outside in the winter? Yet your stuff runs fine.

People throw around "condensation" without know what they are talking about. Ever see moisture condense on the outside of a hot cup of coffee? What about the outside of a cold glass of milk? Think about it.
I mined my gpu's outside 2 years ago for months on end. The only problem I had with them was it actually got too cold sometimes, starting around -15C/5F. Some of my heatpipe-based gpu coolers actually froze up, so they couldn't transfer heat effectively. But otherwise, no, there was no condensation problems, because that's not how physics work.

WinterParker

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

Dock.io

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 06:31:11 AM

I would tell my sister to fuc*ing deal with it!  (and then buy here a gyftcard)  Roll Eyes

▀ ▀ ▀▀▀
                 ▄█▄
         ▄▄      ███
         ▀██▄    ███
      ▄▄▄▄▄███▄  ███
   ▄███████████▀ ███
 ▄███▀    ▄██▀   ███
▄███     ██▀     ███
███              ███
███              ███
███▄            ▄███
 ███▄          ▄███
  ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
    ▀▀████████▀

██                            ██               ▄▄
          ██                            ██               ▀▀
          ██                            ██     ▄▄
  ▄██████▄██    ▄██████▄      ▄██████▄  ██   ▄██▀        ██    ▄██████▄
▄██▀    ▀███  ▄██▀    ▀██▄  ▄██▀    ▀▀  ██ ▄██▀          ██  ▄██▀    ▀██▄
██        ██  ██        ██  ██          █████▄           ██  ██        ██
██        ██  ██        ██  ██          ██▀▀██▄          ██  ██        ██
▀██▄    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▄▄  ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄▄  ██  ▀██▄    ▄██▀
  ▀██████▀      ▀██████▀      ▀██████▀  ██     ▀██  ███  ██    ▀██████▀

▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
FACEBOOK        TWITTER        TELEGRAM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬

seriouscoin

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:55:13 AM

Did you know there is usually more moisture in the air in your house than outside in the winter? Yet your stuff runs fine.

People throw around "condensation" without know what they are talking about. Ever see moisture condense on the outside of a hot cup of coffee? What about the outside of a cold glass of milk? Think about it.
I mined my gpu's outside 2 years ago for months on end. The only problem I had with them was it actually got too cold sometimes, starting around -15C/5F. Some of my heatpipe-based gpu coolers actually froze up, so they couldn't transfer heat effectively. But otherwise, no, there was no condensation problems, because that's not how physics work.

Damn you.... i was having fun with the noobs....

Arrggg thanks for ruining it.

Look ma.... condensation on your forehead , stop walking outside pls.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:46:25 AM

Will be fine.  Electronics run outside all the time (traffic lights controllers, FiOS cabinets,  CCTV cameras).   

Heck, in my old house I ran my server in the attic, and it had temps between -25C and 50C, server ran fine for 3 years like that, apart from a little surface rust on the edges of the elcheapo case.   It ran 8 drives, and I never lost one.  Only stopped using that machine as it was old and slow (Pentium 3 class Celeron 1GHz, 8x160GB Seagate IDE drives, 1GB RAM).
CoolIT

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:56:24 PM

Don't know how cold you are talking about.

I would think twice and research it more if I were to do it, but I am in Monteal, it's common to average -10, we see as low as -30

I would worry about it at -30.

As someone else said, as long as it's dry and above -5, I think it should be fine
wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:37:04 PM

I'm running a bunch of rigs in my garage in -40. No problems just nice cool GPU's mining loads of sexcoins Smiley
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 09:40:13 PM

Allow me to fix your thinking for you.

Buy a sleeping bag and put the sister in the shed.

Nothing personal.  Just business!

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
lif3

Activity: 37

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:30:37 AM

Wink

and the sleeping bag will be included into the hardware cost?  Grin
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 01:47:29 AM

Wink

and the sleeping bag will be included into the hardware cost?  Grin

Why not?

Just another cost of doing business!

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: