Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:09:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No window on Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox  (Read 1514 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 05:33:46 AM

I don't know if this is a Fluxbox issue or not, but I downloaded the .3.19 linux version onto my new Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox setup and started it.  I know it's running, I think that it's downloading the blockchain, but it does not produce a window.  Nor is there a process tile in the dock bar.  It's causing some serious 'thrashing', and I don't know if it's going to attempt to generate against my will when it's done with the blockchain.  It's bogged down my system so much it's now almost as slow at a Windoze 7 machine.  Anyone else experience this?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 05:40:16 AM

Fluxbox is quite an exotic window manager.

Have you tried with an other WM ?  xfce or Gnome for instance ?

MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 06:06:56 AM

Fluxbox is quite an exotic window manager.

Have you tried with an other WM ?  xfce or Gnome for instance ?

I have not.  This is my first attempt at Fluxbox, but that is because I prefer Blackbox 0.65.x.  Unfortunately, there is no more maintance of blackbox, and I really don't have the time to tweak everything anymore.  I used to use Blackbox on Gentoo, starting back around 1997 on a 486-66.  First those silly people at the phone company tried to tell me that anything slower than a P166 couldn't connect to their ADSL, and later others told me that it was impossible to play episodes of Stargate-SG1 on a 486.  Not with Gnome or KDE running on anything, but Blackbox on Gentoo, and nothing else running, I sure as hell could.  This computer is new to me, and is probably about four years old, but is still the fastest hardware that has ever entered my home.  It could barely move with Windoze XP running on it, but that didn't survive long in my home.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 06:37:06 AM

Well, for what it worths, I confirm that bitcoin doesn't show any window on Fluxbox.  I've just tried.

Personnaly I use "awesome" as a window manager.  It is about as cool as Fluxbox.

http://awesome.naquadah.org/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: