Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:01:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction not confirming  (Read 836 times)
dolligan (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:23:44 AM

Not been doing this long - just tried to withdraw money from my BTC-E account into my desktop wallet (Multibit). The transaction has been listed as "seen by 4 peers" and "not yet confirmed" for about 4 hours now, is that normal? I've only done a few transactions so far and they all went through quicker than this.
One thing I've noticed is that the little indicator that goes from a white circle to a green tick on the Multibit transactions page, has remained a white, empty circle, rather than gradually filling yellow, like they did, just shortly after my previous transactions were initiated.
A bit worried as I had heard that people have had problems withdrawing from exchanges and this was the first time I tried (fairly small amount).
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but it's the only place I could find!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Authentic

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

1FRpXqj6kedknh5uNpdo8FS3U49XJPJJy1

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:47:18 AM

Wait a bit. Sometimes it takes a while. What's the transaction ID (to see if they paid fees)?

exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:00:00 AM

Depending on the size and the how busy it is, it could definitely take a few hours before it gets confirmed!

Ettole

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:00:23 AM

Not been doing this long - just tried to withdraw money from my BTC-E account into my desktop wallet (Multibit). The transaction has been listed as "seen by 4 peers" and "not yet confirmed" for about 4 hours now, is that normal? I've only done a few transactions so far and they all went through quicker than this.

Check the transaction on blockchain.info, does it include any tx fee?
If yes, don't worry, it will get confirmed soon.
If no, you will need to wait for a bit longer then. Just be patient.

One thing I've noticed is that the little indicator that goes from a white circle to a green tick on the Multibit transactions page, has remained a white, empty circle, rather than gradually filling yellow, like they did, just shortly after my previous transactions were initiated.

The circle you mentioned is an indicator of how many confirmations the tx gets.
An empty circle just indicates your tx is still unconfirmed, and don't worry.

A bit worried as I had heard that people have had problems withdrawing from exchanges and this was the first time I tried (fairly small amount).

Yes, there are quite a number of posts here about the delay from exchanges.
Most of them is about fiat deposit and withdrawal delays.
If you can already see the transaction on Multibit and blockchain.info (though unconfirmed), then you should be relieved.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but it's the only place I could find!

As you are a newbie (just like me), you can only make a thread or reply here in the newbie board (and also some local board https://bitcointalk.org/index.php#5 ).
After making your first post and waiting for 4 hours, you are free of the newbie jail, and can post anywhere.
BlueMonkey

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Need any help ? Just PM me

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:06:34 AM

Yes it can happen because when we make a transaction, we pay fee and will queue. If you pay more fee, you will get more priority
dolligan (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:50:49 AM

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.
It's the next day here (UK) now and I still don't have anything, and my account is still reading the same - here's a link to the blockchain transaction (the link provided by multibit) https://blockchain.info/tx-index/58784a85d18aa6ecf94c842c9ba8d1fca105fd570b4ccf767cce8b76045d0fff

What I don't quite understand is all the different amounts listed there - my transaction is the 0.054 bitcoin one, not sure where all the other figures come from unless they are just the other transactions which took place in the blockchain around the same time?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:44:33 PM

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies.
It's the next day here (UK) now and I still don't have anything, and my account is still reading the same - here's a link to the blockchain transaction (the link provided by multibit) https://blockchain.info/tx-index/58784a85d18aa6ecf94c842c9ba8d1fca105fd570b4ccf767cce8b76045d0fff

Looking at blockchain.info, the transaction is definitely confirmed.  At this time it appears to have 168 confirmations.  It sounds like there is a problem with your MultiBit wallet.  There is a known issue where MultiBit can get out of sync with the blockchain.  If you re-synchronize (reset blockchain and transactions), it should fix the problem for you.  Here is the support page at the MultiBit website that describes the problem and explains how to fix it:

https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_support_sentBitcoinToMultibitButTheyNeverArrived.html

Since the transaction was confirmed at 2013-12-09 22:53:06 UTC, I'd use a few days earlier (perhaps 2013-12-07) when entering the "reset date" for synchronization, just to be sure that MultiBit picks it up.

What I don't quite understand is all the different amounts listed there - my transaction is the 0.054 bitcoin one, not sure where all the other figures come from unless they are just the other transactions which took place in the blockchain around the same time?

That blockchain.info webpage has the following:

On the left you see an address that is under the control of BTC-E.  This is the "input" into the transaction.  The bitcoins that BTC-E is "spending" to send out payments to people that have requested them.

It is possible to send to more than one place in a single transaction.  The information on the right is all the "outputs" of the transaction.  This is where all the bitcoins that were supplied to the transaction by the input were sent.

So. . .

1DzGtMLzpRmtNzqL9biRVUiom7wBooyXQc is an address that is under the control of BTC-E.  At the beginning of this transaction it had previous ly received a single output of 795.74298867 BTC. BTC-E spent this 795.74298867 BTC output as an input to this transaction.  This supplied 795.74298867 BTC of value to the transaction that BTC-E then needed to distribute among the intended recipients.

1L9Cik3hZvRsBhQbZHprUoYJATGiSquPzB is the receiving address in your MultiBit wallet.  BTC-E created an output in this transaction sending 0.05457704 BTC to that address, and the value has not yet been spent by you.

1KnnvCpuLGdps8yaiSf4epxGtxxCDBTLbL, 1GunsH6iwocyjFapq1vimoio7ZKk1wyRxd, 1NX6B578dUCnXpSUiYW2dSCg7HHUxL7LSv, and 1Kr8Z1Rpmh4bDJVUDE3RSu61qvpjMLHB4g all appear to be addresses controlled by other BTC-E users who all requested withdrawals at approximately the same time as you.  Each is assigned an output with the requested value.

If you total up the BTC sent to you along with the BTC sent to the other BTC-E users, you find that this accounts for 2.72354071 BTC of value.  This leaves 793.01899796 BTC of value that has been supplied to the transaction that must still be accounted for.

BTC-E created a new address under their control, 191chB9MdEA6WBto4XmPEpvHGicpe988Yp, and sent 793.01894796 BTC of the value supplied to this transaction to that address in a single output.  This "change" was then used by them in a later transaction they created.

After accounting for all these outputs, there is still 0.0005 BTC of value that was supplied with the input that is not accounted for with the sum of the outputs.  The miner (or mining pool) that confirms the transaction in a block they solve and broadcast gets to add this 0.0005 BTC to the block reward as "mining fees".  This acts as an incentive for the miner (or pool) to include this transaction in the block they are working on instead of some other transaction that paid a smaller fee.

dolligan (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:57:12 AM

Thanks for the info. Resetting the blockchain worked.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: