Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 07:50:23 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bitpay overtake Paypal in the near future (i.e before 2016)?  (Read 1036 times)
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:48:03 AM

Recently I am hearing a lot of positive news about the Bitcoin payment processor Bitpay. So my question is, how long it'll take for Bitpay to overtake Paypal?

Actually I wanted to ahve an online poll, but I don't know how to incorporate poll to new thread.

Please select from the following options:

a) No. Paypal will remain the market leader for many many decades to come.

b) No. But another Bitcoin payment processor will overtake Paypal in the distant future.

c) No. But another Bitcoin payment processor will overtake Paypal in the near future.

d) Yes.

e) Yes. But only in the distant future.
Rob768

Activity: 324
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:05:09 AM

There is also Coinbase which seems to be picking up steam as well.  I dont think it will overtake paypal in 2-3 years, but perhaps 5-7  you never know.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:51:12 AM

i strongly doubt that's going to happen before 2016.. but if bitcoin starts to pick up steam, i think paypal will do whatever it can to stop the development of bitcoin. a lot of people are fed up with paypal, more than any other payment processor i can think of.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:58:10 AM

highly unlikely before 2016, but you never know, one thing bitcoin thought me to not underestimate it

on another note, since i suspect many don't know it, PP has invested in BitPay through their venture Founders Fund
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:59:08 AM

i strongly doubt that's going to happen before 2016.. but if bitcoin starts to pick up steam, i think paypal will do whatever it can to stop the development of bitcoin. a lot of people are fed up with paypal, more than any other payment processor i can think of.

The fees charged by Paypal is much more than that levied by Master / Visa. Their currency conversion charges are also ridiculous.

So.... isn't there a chance that if faced with increasing competition from Bitpay.etc, PP will reduce their charges?
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 06:59:52 AM

I doubt it will over take it by 2016. But it will definitely cause them a lot of headaches going forward.

Desensitizer

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:42:46 AM

Paypal is incredibly convenient and almost universally adopted by the main seller sites online. I know that I myself love Paypal to death and cannot imagine online commerce without it. I think it will be much farther than 2016 if ever.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:45:35 AM

I doubt it will over take it by 2016. But it will definitely cause them a lot of headaches going forward.

Lol... that should be the case. Personally saying, I am not too much concerned whether Bitpay will overtake PP or not (although it will be really good if it happens). If PP reduces their fees in order to be competitive against Bitpay, it will be a great victory for the digital currency.

Paypal is incredibly convenient and almost universally adopted by the main seller sites online. I know that I myself love Paypal to death and cannot imagine online commerce without it. I think it will be much farther than 2016 if ever.

It'll be interesting to hear your opinion on their fees and other charges.
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:48:27 AM

It depends if Paypal get's real (fiat-based) competitors in market that overtake it.

So it's more of destruction of Paypal and less about bitcoin-based provider overtaking it. And I don't see bitcoin overtaking it ever.

Not that paypal isn't horrible company. They work if you are on paying side, but on receiving...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:39:23 AM

Lol... that should be the case. Personally saying, I am not too much concerned whether Bitpay will overtake PP or not (although it will be really good if it happens). If PP reduces their fees in order to be competitive against Bitpay, it will be a great victory for the digital currency.

It'll be interesting to hear your opinion on their fees and other charges.

i know my opinion is that.. fuck paypal. i sell some on ebay and the fees are about 15% per item i sell (ebay+paypal fees). that's pretty god damn exorbitant to me, as i can't imagine them needing more than 4% for expenses. what i hate the most is that they seem to raise the fees on an annual basis, and they try to spin it as "good news to you."
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:22:09 AM

I know my opinion is that.. fuck paypal. i sell some on ebay and the fees are about 15% per item i sell (ebay+paypal fees). that's pretty god damn exorbitant to me, as i can't imagine them needing more than 4% for expenses. what i hate the most is that they seem to raise the fees on an annual basis, and they try to spin it as "good news to you."

The folks behind Ebay are another greedy bunch. I am still mourning the demise of Bitmit. They were a great alternative to Ebay. I don't know why they closed down the site, when everything was going exceedingly well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: