Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:29:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: buy back in - when?  (Read 3491 times)
pbody (OP)

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:47:12 AM

I bought out at 750 in a well thought out panic. This is slightly above where I originally got in. Figured it was insurance. Now I want to get back in. I'm torn on waiting till it drops below 750 or just cut my losses as insurance and get the hell back on the boat. Thots?

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:50:17 AM

Good things come to those who are patient.

Be humble!
I_bitcoin

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:55:07 AM

Good things come to those who are patient.

I think the next floor will be higher.  There seems to be an incredibly brief window where things go below the floor (flash crash).   Maybe she will get lucky.

No matter where you go, there you are.
checkers6676

Activity: 128

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:03:29 AM

It will continue to test the 950+ range this week
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:13:40 AM

Around $800 if it goes back there again

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:16:49 AM

I bought out at 750 in a well thought out panic. This is slightly above where I originally got in. Figured it was insurance. Now I want to get back in. I'm torn on waiting till it drops below 750 or just cut my losses as insurance and get the hell back on the boat. Thots?

Never go full fiat.  If you have zero bitcoins the time to buy is always now.

If you sold only part of your coins, then, sure, go ahead and try to time the market.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:18:41 AM

I don't think that panic buy is the way to fix a panic sell  Tongue
jones31

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:23:19 AM

If you're going to trade , the first thing is to get rid of the panic.
Panicking will only do things worse the next time , and you'll gonna probably make a big mistake if you get carried away.

Don't invest money that you need for daily needs. Think of bitcoin as an investment that you don't really need to touch in the coming years.
Also , best advice that worked for the last three "crashes" , HOLD.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:29:50 AM

If you're going to trade , the first thing is to get rid of the panic.
Panicking will only do things worse the next time , and you'll gonna probably make a big mistake if you get carried away.

Don't invest money that you need for daily needs. Think of bitcoin as an investment that you don't really need to touch in the coming years.
Also , best advice that worked for the last three "crashes" , HOLD.

HOLD if you dont know sell or buy.

Never sell in a crashes..

Sell when price is steady and you're comfortable with the price.

Day traders will say otherwise but the truth is.... most if not all day traders are only making just above mini wage... considering their time and psychological stress.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:46:51 AM

Three days ago when the exchange rate was below $600.
Very helpful.  Smiley
pbody (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:54:21 AM

If your planning on trading your value by the hour, buy at anytime and only sell higher.  If you buying to sit on it, it won't matter when you buy because the gains you experience will negate any savings you may have had trying to save a quick buck.  When it breaks 1,000.. its going up up and away.. so perhaps wait for that.  Or just do some more research in the meantime.

Your right, it really doesnt matter when I get in. I did a lot of research today and am now in for the long haul.

It seems every trader has to go through this to learn. You can talk about it all day but nothing like actually playing the game while the price is diving and the LA Times is messing with your head with stupid articles.

No selling, only buying from now on.

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:56:29 AM

sell high, buy higher
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:09:18 AM

Everyone's trying to catch this one, there are a lot more believers this time round... heels are dug in, expect a long wait for your buying opportunity.
Nolo

Activity: 686

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:09:54 AM

If your planning on trading your value by the hour, buy at anytime and only sell higher.  If you buying to sit on it, it won't matter when you buy because the gains you experience will negate any savings you may have had trying to save a quick buck.  When it breaks 1,000.. its going up up and away.. so perhaps wait for that.  Or just do some more research in the meantime.

Your right, it really doesnt matter when I get in. I did a lot of research today and am now in for the long haul.

It seems every trader has to go through this to learn. You can talk about it all day but nothing like actually playing the game while the price is diving and the LA Times is messing with your head with stupid articles.

Welcome to the club  Smiley

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:17:35 AM

If your planning on trading your value by the hour, buy at anytime and only sell higher.  If you buying to sit on it, it won't matter when you buy because the gains you experience will negate any savings you may have had trying to save a quick buck.  When it breaks 1,000.. its going up up and away.. so perhaps wait for that.  Or just do some more research in the meantime.

Yes, welcome to the club, pbody.

If/when your BTC wealth becomes a decent fraction of your net worth, please consider applying Risto's SSS divestment plan (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345065.0).  Once you've divested your initial investment, the crashes are a lot more tolerable.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:05:49 AM

Never chase the price while it's rising fast. Wait for the next dip and buy on the bounce on some trendline. Then you will have evidence that that higher prices are attainable and then the price you're buying at is supported, and after the quick bounce you will have immediate realized gains.

If you realize that the trend you bought on is becoming weak and breaking you can always sell. 90% of the time with this strategy you'll have a chance to sell at a profit even if the trend is failing.

On the other hand, if you panic buy during a rise you may find 10 seconds later you are already at a loss and cant get out.
pbody (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:12:48 AM

Never chase the price while it's rising fast. Wait for the next dip and buy on the bounce on some trendline. Then you will have evidence that that higher prices are attainable and then the price you're buying at is supported, and after the quick bounce you will have immediate realized gains.

If you realize that the trend you bought on is becoming weak and breaking you can always sell. 90% of the time with this strategy you'll have a chance to sell at a profit even if the trend is failing.

On the other hand, if you panic buy during a rise you may find 10 seconds later you are already at a loss and cant get out.

Good advice. So simple yet so hard. I'm finding that a lagging exchange can also be useful for profit.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 07:31:25 AM

Buy when everyone else is in a "in a well thought out panic".

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:36:00 AM

Never go full fiat.  If you have zero bitcoins the time to buy is always now.

Nothing to add. Maybe this - never sell (even a portion) lower than you bought. It all sounds basic, but it's the only truth everyone should know about bitcoin trading.

i am satoshi
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:46:19 AM

Never go full fiat.  If you have zero bitcoins the time to buy is always now.

Nothing to add. Maybe this - never sell (even a portion) lower than you bought. It all sounds basic, but it's the only truth everyone should know about bitcoin trading.
I might add an exception to this - If you're in some really powerful downtrend and you know the price is about to drop 10% or more, you can play dead cat bounces and drops strategically trade your way out of the loss. Only do this if you're able to divert your complete attention to the market for the duration of the trade. When you sell you better have a plan about how you're going to immediately buy back within minutes, and have stop-loss (buy back) rules.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: