Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:12:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Man Buys $103K Tesla Model S With Bitcoin  (Read 1286 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:16:57 AM

http://mashable.com/2013/12/09/tesla-bitcoin/

Proving once again that Bitcoin is not just for illicit purchases (you can go to space with it too!), a man bought a Tesla Model S car with bitcoins. The purchase is reportedly the first Tesla, and possibly the first car ever, to be bought with the online currency.

Lamborghini Newport Beach in Southern California sold the car, the dealership announced on its blog last Wednesday, but the buyer is currently unknown.

"We just sold our very first vehicle with Bitcoin as payment," reads the blog post. "That's right, an electronic currency was used to purchase a fully electric vehicle." The dealership, which is not operated by Tesla, also announced that it would accept Bitcoin payments going forward.

There aren't many details available about the purchase, but the dealership's marketing director, Cedric Davy, told CNN that a man from Florida bought the car for 91.4 bitcoins, which at the time were equivalent to $103,000. Though the price of the notoriously volatile currency dropped shortly after the sale, CNN reports that payment processor BitPay locked in Tuesday's Bitcoin price for both buyer and seller.

While the dealership didn't previously accept Bitcoin, when the man called asking if he could pay with it, they researched the electronic currency and worked with BitPay to make the sale happen.

"All these people have bitcoins," Davy told CNN. "I think some people are trying to spend it."
BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:18:45 AM

neat, there's been quite a few other cars sold for bitcoin (generally used but sometimes new), however teslas are a fun one, if I kept all my coins a tesla S would be a great buy.
Palmdetroit
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:05:27 AM

'Cause Satoshi (tm)

Joohansson

Activity: 212
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:29:48 AM

Awesome!
Desensitizer

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:44:44 AM

http://mashable.com/2013/12/09/tesla-bitcoin/

Proving once again that Bitcoin is not just for illicit purchases (you can go to space with it too!), a man bought a Tesla Model S car with bitcoins. The purchase is reportedly the first Tesla, and possibly the first car ever, to be bought with the online currency.

Lamborghini Newport Beach in Southern California sold the car, the dealership announced on its blog last Wednesday, but the buyer is currently unknown.

"We just sold our very first vehicle with Bitcoin as payment," reads the blog post. "That's right, an electronic currency was used to purchase a fully electric vehicle." The dealership, which is not operated by Tesla, also announced that it would accept Bitcoin payments going forward.

There aren't many details available about the purchase, but the dealership's marketing director, Cedric Davy, told CNN that a man from Florida bought the car for 91.4 bitcoins, which at the time were equivalent to $103,000. Though the price of the notoriously volatile currency dropped shortly after the sale, CNN reports that payment processor BitPay locked in Tuesday's Bitcoin price for both buyer and seller.

While the dealership didn't previously accept Bitcoin, when the man called asking if he could pay with it, they researched the electronic currency and worked with BitPay to make the sale happen.

"All these people have bitcoins," Davy told CNN. "I think some people are trying to spend it."
These are the kind of stories that have to spread in order for Bitcoin commerce to become relevant in the brick and mortar marketplace. Online is one thing but getting bitcoins accepted in real life is a whole new level of difficulty. It's good to see steps being taken towards Bitcoins gradual market penetration.
goode400

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 08:11:37 AM

I'm accepting bitcoins for my bronze sculptures and some of them go for more than that Tesla.

www.david-goode.com

http://www.david-goode.com/media/sculptures/bsmermaids2.jpg http://www.david-goode.com/media/sculptures/bschess.jpg
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:30:01 AM

Nice sculptures.  I'm gonna have to wait a little while to buy one, hopefully when 1 bitcoin or less will be enough to buy the one I want.
goode400

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 09:10:55 AM

Nice sculptures.  I'm gonna have to wait a little while to buy one, hopefully when 1 bitcoin or less will be enough to buy the one I want.

LOL! When that day comes I will be too rich to bother selling them!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:28:42 AM

Media is downplaying the transaction. Look here. Is there any truth in what they are saying?
KaiD

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:45:44 AM

Ok, the Truth US a Little Bit boring
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:08:28 AM

Ya it's an old news, I read about it few days ago.
We are soon goin to see Lamboghinis and Ducatis for Bitcoins.  Cool

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
pening

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:47:03 AM

Media is downplaying the transaction. Look here. Is there any truth in what they are saying?

I cant see how its "downplaying", there's a quote attributed directly to the garage owner.  He didn't pay with Bitcoins, they don't have a wallet with BTC91.4, he paid through Bitpay who acted as a bank to do currency exchange, and gave the seller $.
kazzy

Activity: 150
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 07:08:37 AM

Damn that is crazy! All i want is a macbook pro Sad
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 08:18:32 AM

LOL! When that day comes I will be too rich to bother selling them!

Giving them away is a great idea!  Go ahead, put 'Cubic Earth' at the top of the giveaway list.  I like those mermaids Smiley
Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:11:23 AM

Damn, wish I had 10 btc!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: