Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:23:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So which alt coins seem legitimate/solid?  (Read 5438 times)
TheFifty9Sound

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:49:20 AM

Worldcoin. I don't know why it's not more popular.
t3a

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:06:13 AM

Sure, if it makes you feel more secure and safe to think of it in those terms, then so be it.  
Yes, I do feel more safe and secure believing facts.

Your statement is not without profound irony:  the clone becomes cloned.  Hmm...
There is nothing ironic about me pointing out that the cryptocurrency is a copy.

This might help you http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irony

It's ironic because first you say CGB is a copy then you say what's to stop other coins from...copying...it.  Apparently you should spend more time reading the dictionary yourself.

Yeah, it's still not ironic. It's neither
"the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning" nor
"the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really think especially in order to be funny"

Back to the point:
CGB is a copy of another currency and copying that currency serves no purpose and is useless, but if your program on top is useful, then one would want to copy it so it could be used on a useful currency.

Copying the program from one currency to another solves the problem of compatibility.
Copying the code of a currency to make another currency solves no problems.

Advertise here for 10btc/day
mercSuey

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:07:36 AM

Sure, if it makes you feel more secure and safe to think of it in those terms, then so be it.  

Your statement is not without profound irony:  the clone becomes cloned.  Hmm...
There is nothing ironic about me pointing out that the cryptocurrency is a copy.

It's ironic because first you say CGB is a copy then you say what's to stop other coins from...copying...it.  Apparently you should spend more time reading the dictionary yourself.

"the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning" nor
"the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really think especially in order to be funny"

Back to the point:
CGB is a copy of another currency and copying that currency serves no purpose and is useless, but if your program on top is useful, then one would want to copy it so it could be used on a useful currency.

Copying the program from one currency to another solves the problem of compatibility.

What, you weren't trying to be funny???  But you had me laughing the whole time...

You have me laughing still as you argue semantics of copying.  

I'm building an application protocol on top of the CGB block chain.  This is its uniqueness whether you like it or not.

And that it doesn't solve problems you deem relevant is irrelevant to me.
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:26:37 AM

Worldcoin. I don't know why it's not more popular.

I like WorldCoin but it needs improving the network. StableCoin is designed to improve WorldCoin shortcomings
bitdwarf

Activity: 406

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:47:36 AM

Whichever has users busier talking about development than replying to this thread.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
NLNico
Legendary
hacker

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1289

DiceSites.com owner

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 11:51:33 AM

DogeCoin looks very good because they use scrypt, have a lot of coins, fair dev, nice community, no premine.

(SEE WHAT I DID THERE?)

Seriously tho if there are any alts that have a significant own functionality or improvement I would be interested. So far I have not been convinced. I like the idea of Namecoin (not as the next or altenative btc but just as what Namecoin is) - but if not really adapted it seems rather useless. Will follow some more alt. topics to see if someone can convince me.

A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:53:12 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2013, 08:03:34 PM by A L I E N

CGB has a lot of potential, check it out  Smiley

Clone of Novacoin. Why would that be legitimate/solid?

Im checking out Quark and Nxt  Cool
Nxt - Do you like 100% premine? Is one person owning the entirety of a currency something that appeals to you? Also did they fix PoS or is it forced to be centralized along with being 100% premine? Nxt is the USD of cryptocurrencies.
Quark - Clone of Bitcoin with 6 different hashing algorithms. Leads fools into believing it is ASIC proof, but really it is just temporarily a botnet-miners friend.

ANC, MEC, BTB, GRC are some good ones.

ANC - Bitcoin already can connect through Tor. Coin Control is a good idea, but it isn't a protocol modification and doesn't require a new currency.
MEC - Probably made by an art student. All that it looks like was changed was the block rewards (doubled) and a flashy website was made for it.
BTB - PPC except "super rare" (in other words the creator has no idea how economics works)
GRC - LTC except centralized. You're better off donating your processing power to BOINC and mining LTC at the same time than supporting this centralized scamcoin.

Dogecoin for sure
I feel like this coin is a satire of all the other worthless altcoins.

TL;DR: Buy coins that have actual features and aren't premined or centralized (BTC, NMC).

LOL clearly any alts that weren't around when you got into cryptos are not legitimate.  We've seen your kind many times come through here, move along joker.

aysyr

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:59:38 PM

Quark - Clone of Bitcoin with 6 different hashing algorithms. Leads fools into believing it is ASIC proof, but really it is just temporarily a botnet-miners friend.

ANC - Bitcoin already can connect through Tor. Coin Control is a good idea, but it isn't a protocol modification and doesn't require a new currency.
MEC - Probably made by an art student. All that it looks like was changed was the block rewards (doubled) and a flashy website was made for it.
BTB - PPC except "super rare" (in other words the creator has no idea how economics works)
GRC - LTC except centralized. You're better off donating your processing power to BOINC and mining LTC at the same time than supporting this centralized scamcoin.

Really? It's centralized? The only thing "centralized" about it is  that it has to get its research projects from a third-party source. Unless you can find someone who makes a coin that generates its own scientific research algorithms, good luck at finding a distributed computing research coin that isn't "centralized". No one is controlling the coin, all BOINC does is measure the reward you receive based on your contribution to BOINC.

Trade at C-Cex, my favorite exchange!          Aysyr Reputation Thread
ClydeFrog

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:15:10 PM

Lol @ MEC being created by an art student.

MEC has some cool implementations like Kimoto's Gravity Well which creates adaptative network dificulty preventing big farmers from fucking up the network.

That, and more. Plus you are right, its very pretty. And I belive that will catch casuals attention.

So my vote goes to MEC in stability, development and future growth.
t3a

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:02:35 PM

Back to the point:

What, you weren't trying to be funny???  But you had me laughing the whole time...

I'm building an application protocol on top of the CGB block chain.  This is its uniqueness whether you like it or not.

Clearly all you read in the definition was "funny", not "use of words that mean the opposite".

Your program is unique, but it doesn't make CGB unique because your program can be run most coins.

CGB doesn't solve any problems AT ALL unless you count not being an early investor as a problem.

DogeCoin looks very good because they use scrypt, have a lot of coins, fair dev, nice community, no premine.

(SEE WHAT I DID THERE?)

Seriously tho if there are any alts that have a significant own functionality or improvement I would be interested. So far I have not been convinced. I like the idea of Namecoin (not as the next or altenative btc but just as what Namecoin is) - but if not really adapted it seems rather useless. Will follow some more alt. topics to see if someone can convince me.

Look at the sticky for all the altcoins. There is a brief description for each. Unfortunately, 95% of them are changing the block generation speed of another coin and premining.

LOL clearly any alts that weren't around when you got into cryptos are not legitimate.  We've seen your kind many times come through here, move along joker.

Why don't you show me why I'm wrong in ANY of coins I discussed? By the way, NMC wasn't around when I first got into Bitcoin, but I think it is legitimate.

Really? It's centralized? The only thing "centralized" about it is  that it has to get its research projects from a third-party source. Unless you can find someone who makes a coin that generates its own scientific research algorithms, good luck at finding a distributed computing research coin that isn't "centralized". No one is controlling the coin, all BOINC does is measure the reward you receive based on your contribution to BOINC.

Good point. What I really should have said is that it *needs to be centralized to actually work, and today it doesn't work. GRC checks your computer to see whether or not you are contributing to BOINC. This can and has been easily spoofed.

*I am not advocating centralization, simply pointing out that the only way GRC can keep miners from lying about contributing to BOINC is through centralization.

rumlazy

Activity: 203

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:12:52 PM

Good point. What I really should have said is that it *needs to be centralized to actually work, and today it doesn't work. GRC checks your computer to see whether or not you are contributing to BOINC. This can and has been easily spoofed.

*I am not advocating centralization, simply pointing out that the only way GRC can keep miners from lying about contributing to BOINC is through centralization.

Wrong.  In fact the developer has an open bounty if you can hack it which no ones claimed yet.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=358931.0
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 11:21:11 PM

Franko is the future! Our website says so.

All kidding aside.

Franko has the longest period for adoption and will take 5x as long to produce half the amount of coins as Bitcoin. Not saying its the best solution but if you value fairness, scarcity and speed then you will love FRK. We are here to stay.

Non nobis solum, sed omnibus!

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

Activity: 868

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:28:36 PM

iXcoin...   been around for over 2.5 years... 2 peta hash rate...

can't get any more solid than this.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
PinkPotatos

Activity: 126

Girls dont crypto?

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 11:36:44 PM

its merge mined. no wonder it has 2 peta hash rate. Its an addon coin that people get extra when mining bitcoin!

Accepted by, more merchants! - Franko 弗兰克币 - 自由的货币
Earn FRK with your sig
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

Activity: 868

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:45:15 PM

its merge mined. no wonder it has 2 peta hash rate. Its an addon coin that people get extra when mining bitcoin!

yes... but you can't argue that it isn't secure.

Its also pretty scarce,  how many iXcoins can a guy with a 100GHs miner get in a day?   He'll get 1 IXC a day!  That's damn scarce.

It's dirt cheap, under 20 cents.

It also has kept its price constant relative to BTC for over 2.5 years (check the graphs).

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
t3a

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:48:08 PM

Wrong.  In fact the developer has an open bounty if you can hack it which no ones claimed yet.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=358931.0

Bounty is 5 days old and for 5000 gridcoins, which isn't much. Coin generation is based on a local check of whether or not BOINC is working. All it takes is a modification of BOINC which isn't even worth 5000 GRC right now. If GRC actually gained value then miners would make a BOINC modification that always gave them the max reward.

rumlazy

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:51:43 PM

Bounty is 5 days old and for 5000 gridcoins, which isn't much. Coin generation is based on a local check of whether or not BOINC is working. All it takes is a modification of BOINC which isn't even worth 5000 GRC right now. If GRC actually gained value then miners would make a BOINC modification that always gave them the max reward.

This was true originally but not true anymore.  Lot of development on the coin has happened you apparently aren't aware of.

Scratch that, I'll give you 5000 gridcoins if you can figure out a way to hack the boinchash and create a successful block accepted by the network.  And just to give you a hint, the hash changes on every block, so you can't copy anything from previous hashes.  And yes, what is in the hash is related to boinc, and sampled over 75,000 times per second, and is new information for every GPU block.  Oh and one more thing, the block does contain more than the CPU usage now.  It has 3 inputs from the GVM that are not primitive types.

Rob Halford

rumlazy

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:03:40 AM

TL;DR: Buy coins that have actual features and aren't premined or centralized (BTC, NMC).

MEC- Solid dev.  One of the only scrypt coins not based on litecoin.  Kimoto converted one of the newest beta versions of bitcoin himself. Also sports a very innovative difficulty algorithm and coinjoin is going to be added. (coinjoin > zerocoin) Sick looking wallet too.  Amazing community support.  Lots of thing going on behind the scenes if you care to do some research.
ANC - Solid devs, strong I2P support, working on adding coinjoin.
BTB - agree.
GRC- see my above posts.  It also has pop3 email and a p2p pool built into the client.
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 12:47:07 AM

Dogecoin is the future! much rich many gain wow!
t3a

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:50:20 AM

MEC- Solid dev.  One of the only scrypt coins not based on litecoin.  Kimoto converted one of the newest beta versions of bitcoin himself. Also sports a very innovative difficulty algorithm and coinjoin is going to be added. (coinjoin > zerocoin) Sick looking wallet too.  Amazing community support.  Lots of thing going on behind the scenes if you care to do some research.
ANC - Solid devs, strong I2P support, working on adding coinjoin.
BTB - agree.
GRC- see my above posts.  It also has pop3 email and a p2p pool built into the client.
Solid dev isn't a feature.

One of the only scrypt coins not based on Litecoin isn't a feature, scrypt is, but that is already in another coin.

"Also sports a very innovative difficulty algorithm" - Will look into this

"coinjoin is going to be added" coinjoin can be added to any cryptocurrency. It won't be unique to this currency.

"Lots of thing going on behind the scenes if you care to do some research. " - Anything actually changing the currency? Or is it something that can be applied to any currency.

"strong I2P support" - Good feature, but creating a new currency isn't required for this. It could just as easily be a Bitcoin client, but the devs  didn't get in on Bitcoin early so they are making their own currency and hoping it is pumped.

"pop3 email and a p2p pool built into the client" - These don't require creating a new currency, you could just as easily make a new client, see my previous comment.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: