Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:47:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So which alt coins seem legitimate/solid?  (Read 5441 times)
t3a

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:00:25 AM

If you are looking for a "different" coin take a look at Datacoin. It's a primecoin fork with just one modification, it adds a 128k data field to every transaction so you can store (small amounts of ) data into the blockchain, so far it's an interesting experiment since the coin itself have's a purpose, you pay fee's to store data into the blockchain. The possibilities/usages of this coin are endless and the killer app could be around the corner. Moreover it's one of the few coins that can peacefully coexist with BTC.
The coin is very new, but as I said, a very interesting experiment.

So after 8 million transactions it takes up a terrabyte? There must be something I'm missing because a DDoS attack or just a harddrive filling attack seems very feasible.

The maximum capacity of the network is approximately 520 Gb per (coin) year, that's deterministic, you can't do a "hard drive filling" attack as you called it. The maximum capacity of a block is 1 Mb, if this attack worked then transaction spamming (which worked at some point for Bitcoin) would also work, but measures where taken to avoid this kind of attacks a while ago for Bitcoin.
DDoS attack against a P2P currency ? Good luck. And that also applies to any crypto, not to mention it doesn't make much sense for the attacker.
And BTW, I am not saying this cryptocurrency is invulnerable, just saying that it's a very interesting experiment, and that's what the OP was asking for AFAIK.

>DDoS attack against a P2P currency? Good luck.

Seems pretty feasible. If I have ten nodes make 1mb of transactions per second I doubt the network could handle it.

Advertise here for 10btc/day
cryptrol

Activity: 637
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:25:36 AM

If you are looking for a "different" coin take a look at Datacoin. It's a primecoin fork with just one modification, it adds a 128k data field to every transaction so you can store (small amounts of ) data into the blockchain, so far it's an interesting experiment since the coin itself have's a purpose, you pay fee's to store data into the blockchain. The possibilities/usages of this coin are endless and the killer app could be around the corner. Moreover it's one of the few coins that can peacefully coexist with BTC.
The coin is very new, but as I said, a very interesting experiment.

So after 8 million transactions it takes up a terrabyte? There must be something I'm missing because a DDoS attack or just a harddrive filling attack seems very feasible.

The maximum capacity of the network is approximately 520 Gb per (coin) year, that's deterministic, you can't do a "hard drive filling" attack as you called it. The maximum capacity of a block is 1 Mb, if this attack worked then transaction spamming (which worked at some point for Bitcoin) would also work, but measures where taken to avoid this kind of attacks a while ago for Bitcoin.
DDoS attack against a P2P currency ? Good luck. And that also applies to any crypto, not to mention it doesn't make much sense for the attacker.
And BTW, I am not saying this cryptocurrency is invulnerable, just saying that it's a very interesting experiment, and that's what the OP was asking for AFAIK.

>DDoS attack against a P2P currency? Good luck.

Seems pretty feasible. If I have ten nodes make 1mb of transactions per second I doubt the network could handle it.
That's called "transaction spamming" and it won't work. If it worked for Datacoin it would also work for BTC, also a fee is enforced to accept the transaction so the attack would also be really expensive.
And BTW I don't want to hijack the OP thread, we can discuss DTC attack vectors on another thread if you wish Wink
yasein

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:33:18 AM

I think protoshare (PTS) is great, they have full time developers and great concept, not just a fork
satosh007

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:05:37 AM

This forum is for the most about sharing information,
reading through this thread with all said from those who have a background info. it would be great to see this thread evolved into a rating thread with (mods) for all existing/new alt/crypto currencies with cons and pros plus future based on clear comparison factors.
if this would be considered this thread might continue as the discussion with one for brief analysis ratings and future.
for the benefit of the community.

satosh007

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:31:38 AM

reading through this thread with all said from those who have a background info. it would be great to see this thread evolved into a rating thread with (mods) for all existing/new alt/crypto currencies with cons and pros plus future based on clear comparison factors.
if this would be considered this thread might continue as the discussion with one for brief analysis ratings and future.

babeq

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:35:49 AM

Quark coin seems good:
http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/v2/pair/qrk/btc/coins-e

satosh007

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:41:22 AM

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Sexcoin looks interesting Smiley.
Jomppe

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:22:35 PM

DevCoin is a good alternative for speculatiion.
The long-term target rate for coin is 0,001 BTC.
Now it costs almost zero - it is very early coin but definetely the potential is there to make early adopters rich.
We all love doing charity - DevCoin is for this purpose. However, now as the price is so ridiculous low, there is no chance to do anything with the coin - this is why it must go up 10 000 times from these levels in order to serve its purpose.
AltCoinSpeculation

Activity: 85

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:57:17 PM

If one is going to invest in altcoins, why not spread the risk around? Sure, you won't end up with the same kind of ROI you could have ended up with had you gone all-in in the right altcoin but the chances of timing that one perfectly are pretty slim. I think a healthy bitcoin balance is a great part of a balanced cryptocurrency investing strategy. Bitcoins are much less volatile plus having them handy allows one to capitalize on favourable situations that arise (e.g. some pool miner wholesaling his altcoins which can be immediately resold for a profit).
[/quote]

I agree, keep some in Bitcoin, some in Litecoin, and then take a punt on the rest,
The longevity of most Alt Coins will depend on the amount of holders and the amount of uses for the coin,
the more dedicated the developers, and miners, and the strategy the coin community will determine if the coin will be around in a year or two from now, and at what price...

I wrote a report with some more thoughts download it here for free:
http://altcoinspeculation.com/
Gridcoin

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 02:08:24 AM

Gridcoin is not a Scamcoin - Lets clear this up right now.
I'll vouch for that; we're not a scamcoin; I'll stand up to your challenge; Post some more information if you want anything clarified;
No pre-mine; Honest Devs; Benefits to humanity; Active development; Loyalty;
What more can you ask for Smiley

Grid

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
hamiltino

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 06:38:46 PM

Gridcoin is not a Scamcoin - Lets clear this up right now.
I'll vouch for that; we're not a scamcoin; I'll stand up to your challenge; Post some more information if you want anything clarified;
No pre-mine; Honest Devs; Benefits to humanity; Active development; Loyalty;
What more can you ask for Smiley

Grid

and then............

Everyone shuts up.

stacking coin
hypostatization

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:18:47 PM

XRP

Not just a deflationary currency, it is a vital component of the Ripple system itself.

A massive benefit of the Ripple system is that it is designed to support all currencies. It allows users to perform payment and exchange between all currencies. A user holding solely BTC, LTC, WDC, QRK, NXT, or even DOGE will be able to make purchases from vendors accepting only USD. It adds value to all currencies.

Ripple effectively eliminates need for centralized payment networks and exchanges, upon which Bitcoin and many other currency systems are threatened by. In addition: no 51% attack vulnerability, nor confirmation delays.

Brief video explaining a few core components of the system: http://vimeo.com/63784865

A smear campaign, led by reputed scammer TradeFortress, has spread a great of misunderstanding. Few people understand that it is designed specifically to combat the centralization threats that are looming over crypto currencies right now.

Great intro for people who already have an understanding of Bitcoin/alts: https://ripple.com/wiki/Introduction_to_Ripple_for_Bitcoiners

Ripple now supports direct cash deposits via ZipZap, and has a well funded company helping to drive the system forward. Ability to directly deposit cash to a decentralized exchange system is a massive step forward for finance.

Ripple Contracts is one of the most promising concepts out there for crypto currencies: https://ripple.com/wiki/Contracts#Example_Contracts

A unique edge is that Ripple is designed specifically to embrace all currencies, from crypto through fiat, rather than focusing on competing against them.

Considering all of the above, XRP has an incredibly promising future.

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
wontonforevuh

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:21:07 PM

dogecoin is one of the largest and most well known

lalakies23

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:24:37 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2014, 07:45:26 PM by lalakies23

You wouldn't even bother asking if somebody already told you about Betacoin Smiley.

Don't need to say more, it is everywhere.
I've seen people who didn't even know Bitcoin to Buy Betacoins. What else to you need?
This crypto will have a bright future.
As i hear several eshops are developed for Betacoin and the Block explorer will be something you even haven't seen before.

I 've switched all my mining horsepower from BTC to Betacoins.

You can thank me later for announcing it to you this early.

Dilapidated

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:40:18 PM

Stablecoin - coin mixing service
Earthcoin - great community and devs
Ripple - amazing support of currency and ease of use

These are my top 3 coins
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: