Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:54:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin could potentially be 52% Attacked by GHash.io and BTC Guild?  (Read 1981 times)
bardi.harborow (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:25:16 AM
Last edit: December 10, 2013, 10:56:41 AM by BadBear

Not sure if anyone noticed... but according to blockchain.info, if GHash.io and BTC Guild joined forces, they could 52% (yes, I mean 52%) attack the network. Am I the only person who thinks this? So... what to do about it. Well, I was thinking about starting a new pool, one that would hopefully win back some percentages from the big players. Here is my summary of what the community wants:

1. 0% Fee
2. Merged Coin Mining
3. Great Stats
4. Simple to use interface
5. Fast Servers

I thought I would post on BT to see if there is any interest in developing another pool. I'm a computer programmer and I'm going to get started on this but I'd like some help. Also, what features do YOU want to see in a pool?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:27:58 AM

Your title is too sensational!!!

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
MilliCoin

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:30:42 AM

Perhaps a change of the title to "Bitcoin could potentially be 52%.." would be more accurate
bardi.harborow (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:33:50 AM

Your title is too sensational!!!

Perhaps a change of the title to "Bitcoin could potentially be 52%.." would be more accurate

If my title wasn't sensational then the thread would get no publicity. But yeah, it is way too sensational. Can you change titles?
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:39:48 AM

Not sure if anyone noticed... but according to blockchain.info, if GHash.io and BTC Guild joined forces, they could 52% (yes, I mean 52%) attack the network. Am I the only person who thinks this? So... what to do about it. Well, I was thinking about starting a new pool, one that would hopefully win back some percentages from the big players. Here is my summary of what the community wants:

1. 0% Fee
2. Merged Coin Mining
3. Great Stats
5. Fast Servers

I thought I would post on BT to see if there is any interest in developing another pool. I'm a computer programmer and I'm going to get started on this but I'd like some help. Also, what features do YOU want to see in a pool?

Two things spring to mind:

1 - If BTC Guild attack the network the miners can pull out and drop back to another pool. Pool's attacking the network are not really that much of a threat.

2 - How will you pay yourself for hosting a pool that is intended to become a major player? You are offering to host and code this pool for 0 income. Do you plan on advertisements?
awoland
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1021

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker [F.N.]

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 10:46:10 AM

And if grandmother has penis she would be a grandfather...

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker [F.N.]
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:48:05 AM

Your penalty for posting such a sensational title is failure.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:14:27 PM

1. 0% Fee
2. Merged Coin Mining
3. Great Stats
5. Fast Servers

6. Reliability.
7. Include transfer fees (every pool that does not include transfer fees is a stealing pool in my opinion)

Also I don't necessarily want a 0% fee, but not more than 3%, I think 1 to 2% would be your best bet.

But yes, if you can pull it off I'm willing to try it.

Also, try to merge mine all the coins, there's currently no pool that merge mines all sha-256 coins and at the same time also includes transfer fees. NMC is commonly merge mined, but I believe PPC and IXC can also be merge mined. Maybe more. Try to include them all, it's just a waste of hashrate not to include them.

Also, I don't think a pool 51% attacking is likely because people will just leave the pool. However, still I think it's better to spread around the pool, sadly there's just not many good pools around right now. My favorite is bitminter at the moment, but there is no 'perfect pool' right now.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:30:04 PM

0% fee?

You want somebody to go over and wipe your butt after you poop?
bardi.harborow (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:32:23 PM

1. 0% Fee
2. Merged Coin Mining
3. Great Stats
5. Fast Servers

6. Reliability.
7. Include transfer fees (every pool that does not include transfer fees is a stealing pool in my opinion)

Also I don't necessarily want a 0% fee, but not more than 3%, I think 1 to 2% would be your best bet.

But yes, if you can pull it off I'm willing to try it.

Also, try to merge mine all the coins, there's currently no pool that merge mines all sha-256 coins and at the same time also includes transfer fees. NMC is commonly merge mined, but I believe PPC and IXC can also be merge mined. Maybe more. Try to include them all, it's just a waste of hashrate not to include them.

Also, I don't think a pool 51% attacking is likely because people will just leave the pool. However, still I think it's better to spread around the pool, sadly there's just not many good pools around right now. My favorite is bitminter at the moment, but there is no 'perfect pool' right now.

You know, I was just thinking about why there aren't pools that merge mine all SHA-256 coins. You'll have to explain what you mean by transfer fees. If anyone wants to talk thru this I'm on:

IRC: #betterbitcoinpool
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:00:41 PM

when you do a transaction, you include a miner fee, when the block gets solved, the miners get the block reward (25BTC) and all miner fees from all the transactions (currently, because there's only 100~500 transaction on average, the total mining fee is just a couple of mBTC mostly) however, when bitcoin gains popularity, the transaction fees will become higher, and i think it's only fair to share the transaction fees between the miners.

Let's say the pool has 500 TH/s in total and I did 5TH/s for the whole block then i'd get 1% of the transaction fees (-2% pool fee, so 0.98% of the transaction fees).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: