Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:03:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got an international wire reversed!  (Read 1199 times)
GeorgeT (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:30:13 AM

I was using localbitcoins to sell some coins. I got the money in my bank account and released the coins to the buyer.
Several days later my bank got request for wire reversal....
So, in which cases is that possible and what one can try to do to prevent it in future.
Does it work from all countries and all wire systems? (SWIFT, SEPA...) ?

If someone can move the thread to the general forum that would be great. I registered just for this thread and really can't wait the newbie jail time since it's quite urgent for me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Authentic

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

1FRpXqj6kedknh5uNpdo8FS3U49XJPJJy1

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:41:37 AM

I was using localbitcoins to sell some coins. I got the money in my bank account and released the coins to the buyer.
So, in which cases is that possible and what one can try to do to prevent it in future.

If someone can move the thread to the general forum that would be great. I registered just for this thread and really can't wait the newbie jail time since it's quite urgent for me.
What is the reason your bank gave you? I think it can be done, but only under some specific circumstances.
Maybe reading this (more info and similar cases) can help you: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/online-auction-info/654476/

GeorgeT (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:08:42 PM

I don't even have a reason given yet.
It was a SWIFT wire if that helps.

Under what circumstances one can be reversed and in what time frame after making it?
qosmio

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:38:23 PM

So it says, in up to 72 hours it is possible to make a reversal, so be careful not to send goods before this time gone.

testing Smiley
codegeek

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:16:46 PM

Oh wow, I did not even know this was possible. Hope you didn't loose too much. It's too bad that there are so many scumbags trying to steal bitcoin right now. Gotta use extreme caution when dealing, especially internationally. Wish I could help - I'm glad you posted however, I'm sure a lot of people didn't know about this.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:35:36 PM

Report this to localbitcoins and try to ask the guy for you Bitcoins back.  Assuming he is a scammer you will not get a response from him.  Assuming it is just a misunderstanding with the banks involved and he is honest then he will give you the BTC back.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
hope4me

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:42:38 PM

The only way to fight this is not keeping ballance in your Bank, I mean cash out immediatelly
hashdollar

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

REX AUTEM SALOMONE A.'.E.'.2995

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:47:33 PM

The only way to fight this is not keeping ballance in your Bank, I mean cash out immediatelly
Interesting, but... cashing out wouldn't give you a negative balance in you bank account?

HashDollar: The first stable P2P digital medium of exchange. #$1=$1. Download wallet: http://www.hashdollar.org/downloads
metalsnug

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:18:00 PM

Interesting, but... cashing out wouldn't give you a negative balance in you bank account?

Even if OP cashes out I believe it would leave his bank account in the negative.
toy4lov3rs

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:28:05 PM

Obviously it is big issue if funds just disappeared from your bank account, contact your bank for any reason this might happened.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:30:21 PM

Indeed, that doesn't work.
TheJacob

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:34:31 PM

This is what worries me about using localbitcoins. I don't know nearly enough about banking to know which payment methods to take or how long I need to wait before I know the funds won't be taken back.
t3xasdolly

Activity: 131

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:39:10 PM

This is what worries me about using localbitcoins. I don't know nearly enough about banking to know which payment methods to take or how long I need to wait before I know the funds won't be taken back.

The point is you can never be sure, thats why Bitcoin is here and will revolutionize the money system. Selling Bitcoin for money is silly and just asking for troubles
pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:42:24 PM

Oh, it will work. It will work so well that you'll never have to worry about a bank account again.  Grin

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:44:41 PM

Oh, it will work. It will work so well that you'll never have to worry about a bank account again.  Grin

You'll be paying it back and then some.
FiatKiller

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:46:01 PM

I had read before that a wire could be cancelled within two hours at a specific time of day(2PM?) for some reason. Probably best to sell for a certified check in person.

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:49:51 PM

You'll be paying it back and then some.

That was more or less my point. You can do this, but you'll have a bunch of bank fees plus the reversed transaction to pay back. You'll likely not be able to open another account at any US bank (except maybe super small banks) till you get your name clear from the several intra-bank fraud checking systems.

Paypal is similar, but with your credit. You can't just walk away from a negative account balance...

So that's why we say Go, BTC, go!

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:05:00 PM

Scumbag assuming this is deliberate
Fight it with the bank
Don't let it slide

zengryT

Activity: 745
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:11:45 PM

That was more or less my point. You can do this, but you'll have a bunch of bank fees plus the reversed transaction to pay back. You'll likely not be able to open another account at any US bank (except maybe super small banks) till you get your name clear from the several intra-bank fraud checking systems.

Paypal is similar, but with your credit. You can't just walk away from a negative account balance...

So that's why we say Go, BTC, go!

True, Bitcoin is the way to go, people will learn Bitcoin is not speculative bubble, but instead independent banking of near future

Not managing signature campaigns anymore.
FiatKiller

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:56:15 PM

Quote from HSBC website:

Wire Transfer requests submitted before 3:00 PM Eastern Time (ET) on a business day will be processed the same day. Wire Transfer requests to domestic banks can be completed online at any time, however, those completed after 3:00 PM ET on business days will be automatically re-dated to the next business day. Wire Transfer requests to banks in other countries can only be completed between 7:00 AM and 3:00 PM ET on business days. International Wire Transfers can be cancelled for up to 30 minutes after the request has been completed with no penalty.

--------------
Says up to 30 minutes with no penalty, implying you can cancel them even later for a fee.

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: