Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:22:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My MtGox account hacked... Lost $60,000... :'(  (Read 2977 times)
miner_x

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:35:16 PM

I'm really sorry to hear your case... It's sad to learn things in the hard-way.

Do not have a money in an account without 2-factor authentication. Goodluck my friend
ABitBack

Activity: 524
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:38:08 PM

Can you see where the coins were withdrew to? I recommend using Ubuntu or mac in future. Damn that sucks! Ask mtgox what the email address was changed to. Then if you get it, message them with something and try and get a reply. You can then get their ip from that message. It's a long shot but perhaps worth a try.

pickering7

Activity: 22

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:39:37 PM

sorry to hear that , ask your lawyer for help.
bitman128k

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:54:45 PM

Oh man, so sorry to hear that.  It won't compare at all, but my btc-e account was just hacked yesterday and I lost $200.  Didn't have 2FA on.  I know the frustration at least.  And I learned a lesson.

It really is the wild west.  You have no idea how secure any of these exchanges are. How many times has Gox been hacked? 
There isn't much you can do about it either.  Good luck though, I hope the police/support helps.
judyballhairy

Activity: 33

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:04:04 PM

Man, that blows.  I find myself not having the urge to be extremely secure and cautious with the crypto I mine because somehow in my head, it feels like a game and like it's not real money.  I have to constantly pinch myself and tell myself to go overboard with security of my boxes where my wallets are stored, secure authentication (two factor, completely different password for EVERY account), etc.  There's nothing anyone can do for you when your crypto gets stolen.  If you're not doing EVERYTHING you can to secure it, you might as well have $60k in cash sitting on your living room floor with the front door wide open.  As long as it has a lot of value and liquidity, treat it like a giant pile of cash and don't take any chances when protecting it.

*Edit:

Also, don't keep crypto in exchanges or pools for too long.  Keep your money in wallets stored on your own hardware and make damn sure it's hardened and secure.  If possible, build a machine just to store you wallets, lock it down, and make multiple backups, including occasional backups to USB that you keep in your pocket - password protected and encrypted USB by the way.  And encrypt every wallet.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:52:57 PM

Can you see where the coins were withdrew to? I recommend using Ubuntu or mac in future. Damn that sucks! Ask mtgox what the email address was changed to. Then if you get it, message them with something and try and get a reply. You can then get their ip from that message. It's a long shot but perhaps worth a try.

why would a hacker that just stole 60k from you would even open your message on a throwaway mailbox? It is more likely that he'll feel bad and return the money Smiley i.e., nope, not going to happen, that money is gone.

i am satoshi
beesa888 (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:49:58 AM

It wasnt all coin, half fiat have BTC.

it was there because i actively traded it everyday. I was even trading it till the night before the attack. Woke up the next morning and realised i could not log into my MtGox account anymore.

I still have some in an offline secure wallet thankfully

My antivirus definitions update daily, but i think i need a malware  scanner too

2 Factor Authentication is the biggest mistake that i failed to implement. Still hurts but its an expensive lesson learnt.

Futhermore, MtGox support has contact me and advised me that no fiat or BTC withdrawls were ever requested....
This is striking me as odd. they claim that i never had any coin or fiat in my account i last logged in. It makes me so mad when I have 18 pages of transactions that happened in one day in a currency I have never traded in before! looking at the transactions it seems they traded all my coins onto the market at a loss! i dont understand why they have done this!!?  Huh Huh Huh

Why didn't you use two factor authentication to secure your account?

why did you leave 60.000 USD on that account in coins (even worse than in dollars).

why didnt you store the coins on a secure wallet?

why is you antivirus program 3 years old? (correct right  Roll Eyes ? )

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet
jpharneyllc

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:32:10 AM

it was there because i actively traded it everyday. I was even trading it till the night before the attack. Woke up the next morning and realised i could not log into my MtGox account anymore.

My antivirus definitions update daily, but i think i need a malware  scanner too

2 Factor Authentication is the biggest mistake that i failed to implement. Still hurts but its an expensive lesson learnt.

Futhermore, MtGox support has contact me and advised me that no fiat or BTC withdrawls were ever requested....
This is striking me as odd. they claim that i never had any coin or fiat in my account i last logged in. It makes me so mad when I have 18 pages of transactions that happened in one day in a currency I have never traded in before! looking at the transactions it seems they traded all my coins onto the market at a loss! i dont understand why they have done this!!?  Huh Huh Huh

Wait... so are you saying that your money is still there, but someone converted it to RUB and traded it at a loss? So they were not able to withdraw it?

electerium

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:40:46 AM

Why didn't you use two factor authentication to secure your account?

why did you leave 60.000 USD on that account in coins (even worse than in dollars).

why didnt you store the coins on a secure wallet?

why is you antivirus program 3 years old? (correct right  Roll Eyes ? )

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

1. show us your gox wallet on the blockchain
2. yes or no- Gox is saying you have zero transactions in your account when you claim to have 18 pages

soemone is lying, and ive got a feeling it isnt gox.
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:10:58 AM

Sounds like Mt Gox needs to start providing people with Authenticator keys, I am surprised they aren't already doing do as one of the largest if not the largest bitcoin exchange to protect themselves and their customers.

beesa888 (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:28:21 AM

1. show us your gox wallet on the blockchain
2. yes or no- Gox is saying you have zero transactions in your account when you claim to have 18 pages
soemone is lying, and ive got a feeling it isnt gox.

I'm not sure what you mean, but here are some screenshots of the rough transactions.

http://i39.tinypic.com/k0hnys.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/fc4dph.png
http://i42.tinypic.com/2a5nqj4.png

Gox claimed nothing was withdrawn, and i check, nothign was. everything in my account was traded as a loss. they bought high and sold low. I have no idea why someone would do this...  Huh Cry
PrintMule

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:36:25 AM

I thought you need to have your account verified with real life documents before you withdraw anything from gox, am I wrong?

Been a while since I traded at gox.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
Odmeal

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 06:47:31 AM

I thought you need to have your account verified with real life documents before you withdraw anything from gox, am I wrong?

Been a while since I traded at gox.

You need to get verified for even btc withdrawal now?
lindatess

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:19:17 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2013, 07:47:13 AM by lindatess

Yeah, they washed the money on the other side of the bid/ask spread. Effectively, earning the spread each time the transaction was conducted.

This leaves no paper trail, or so they think, if you request the transaction history and check who was on the other side of the transaction, you may have a case. In fact it might help if you know Japanese or are connected to someone involved with mtgox. From what it looks like the hacker was on the other side of the transaction.

Otherwise they were giving away free money to random people <<< Very unlikely.

So, Looks like you might be able with a warrant (Japanese Authorities required) to take a look at the data. Take a look into it.

I'm pretty sure RUB/BTC is not traded often on mtgox, so the hacker definitely knows their bitcoin knowledge. The same I've seen with AUD/BTC, which would guarantee that the hacker actually got the money on the other side of the trade if no one else was trading in that currency pair.

But if I have anything to say, I expect the hacker to be in jail within a few months if you follow my methodology.

As you can see the volume is almost always zero.

https://www.mtgox.com/?Currency=RUB

Go for it, you will get your money back, or in a weak case, send the hacker to jail, as they require real information to withdraw from mtgox!!!!

As you can see on December 9th there was a huge rise in volume as the hacker tried to wash the funds.

My guess it's someone who knows their Finance and Information Security. Luckily I love these two areas myself and understand how the hacker has slipped up. He/She will be in jail soon, don't worry about it, but hurry up and get a police report, get translators to help with mtgox paperwork, and get mtgox to block the wire transfer on the other side, otherwise the other person might flee to the Cayman Islands or some non-extradition country.

I mean, I've seen a lot of dumb hackers throughout my life, but this person who stole your money is probably an idiot.

Sephera

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 08:39:50 AM

That sounds very strange. I think you need to get your compensation from MT Gox. You need to get Mt Gox to investigate this as it's a security breach that could cost them customers.
lindatess

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:08:02 AM

I think the OP needs to contact the AFP Cybercrime division.

http://www.afp.gov.au/policing/cybercrime.aspx

Furthermore, if MtGox doesn't co-operate, it could be because they are part of the fraud. However, at the moment, until that happens, you should still take action to find out why someone chose such a sophisticated method of stealing your funds.

zzz111

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:14:46 AM

pitty
i won't left that much in any market
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:24:17 AM

Yeah, they washed the money on the other side of the bid/ask spread. Effectively, earning the spread each time the transaction was conducted.

If they did that then Mt Gox can easily identify them. Can't they? Dumb hackers.
Gboept

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:25:26 AM

Sorry to hear your loss Sad
Mtgox is really bad, and the staff is incompetent Sad
hieroglyph

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:30:07 AM

Damn shame this is.  I hope something can be done for the recovery of your lost coins.  This always sucks when i hear someone lost a good amount of coins because of a simple mistake.  Let us know if anything good comes out of this situation.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: