Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:52:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows update broke rig. Anyone else have this issue?  (Read 2762 times)
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 06:59:43 PM

Q,

I like the functionality of 7, especially just the ability to update only the malware, virus and firewall.

but for 10, All that Marvell said (especially 6GPU's out of the box) plus:

Under 10, new video driver installation seems to be less of a hassle. Installing and daily use of the utility software like PBE, Trixx, afterburner, atiflash also seems less of a hassle in terms of crashes. To some degree you don't have to worry about getting punished for using the latest version of anything.

Win 10 was cheap on Ebay and Win 7 Pro was actually more expensive. At the time of purchase. I believe Win 7 Pro couldn't be moved around.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 06:33:40 AM

For a rock solid stable windows rig , the following should be disabled windows update, defender, firewall , action center maintenance , sleep time , and setting apperance for best performance , not using windows 10 but most of this things are in different windows versions and they are the cause of all mining problems

Don't turn off Update, Defender, or Firewall.  Even if nothing is ever running besides your mining software, a Windows machine connected to the Internet that is not continually patched will quickly become vulnerable to remote exploitation. 

Windows firewall is a pathetic joke and always has been.
 You can't expect REAL protection when the OS your firewall software is running on top of is full of security holes itself.

There is a REASON all of my Windows machines ALWAYS connect to the Internet through a firewall built on LINUX or Cisco's router/firewall OS.

INFINITELY better protection than Windows will ever manage on it's own.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
imrule

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 05:42:40 AM

I see a lot of people are trying to do regedit, disabling scheduled tasks and even reinstalling drivers.
I took a different approach to this, I'm fortunate enough to have a decent firewall that allows me to control which ports are accessible to specific IP addresses.
What I did to prevent this shitty microshaft update to hit my servers was by blocking all external incoming and outgoing ports on the fixed IP addresses of my mining rigs EXCEPT the specific port the mining software requires to connect to the mining pool for Ethermine it's port 4444).

I'm using a Watch Guard firewall, it's an expensive firewall but there are other manufacturers that provide similar features.
I have never tested this solution using the Windows Firewall, but I imagine that M$ is smart enough to get around their own built-in firewall.
The surest way is to block all incoming and outgoing traffic on a network level and ONLY allow specific ports needed for mining and remote management.

If you already got hit by this dumb update, I would highly suggest restoring an earlier backup of your windows OS if you have one.
If you do not have a backup prior of the windows update, do what you can by uninstalling the update, removing scheduled tasks in the windows update and updateOrcastrator directory and deleting the update files from the System32 directory.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:21:35 PM

Wasn't one of the reasons some folks like Windows 10 for mining that you supposedly DON'T NEED the "6GPU" hack to the drivers to get more than 4 cards working on it?

Most "firewall appliances" can also block ports except as specifically needed, though I've seen specs on a few of the cheap low-end ones that have a ridiculously small limit on how many machines they can do that for.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
norminorm

Activity: 75

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 12:27:58 AM

I had the same problem with auto reinstalling driver. i run ccleaner and disable all startup programs and shedulled tasks. it worked. also better then to run ddu is to Rool back driver.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 12:36:21 AM

Don't know why anyone is still making such a fuss with the windows updates today. The new drivers actually work fine now and are more than compatible with mining/compute workloads. Are there actually still cards that do bad on the latest drivers?
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 01:21:16 AM

This is what I am doing (just the addendum part - it's all you need - scroll down to it)
https://techgage.com/print/taking-back-control-of-windows-10-updates/

Haven't seen it posted here.  Basically if you take away the system's ability to access those two files: MusNotification.exe, and MusNotificationUx.exe then it can't reboot after it tries to install updates.  Updates become a manual process. In fact I noticed that the updates often fail the first time but succeed the second, but since it's happening on my terms and when I initiate it, I'm fine with that.  I do updates every couple of months. Some updates, like feature updates, will undo or fix these changes to these two files and then you have to do them again.  But at least you get to control the whole process your self.

EDIT: I guess I should say, it's not actually all you need, you still need to configure the box to not update drivers.  But this prevents those annoying monthly windows updates from rebooting your box.  I also run an AV which disables windows defender and I add exclusions to the AV for my miner files.  Windows defender has started quarantining some miner executables and it isn't very easy to whitelist them, so it needs to be disabled one way or another.
rigproxy.com

Activity: 55

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 08:09:23 PM

Rigproxy's free DNS service (BCT post here) is the solution for mining rig because of windows that can do whatever it wants to do even when update services and parameters are disabled.

Advice : as we currently only have one server running (others have been temporary disabled), please use :
- rigproxy server (92.222.144.203) as main DNS on your rig
- your local router's or google's 8.8.8.8 as second server
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: