Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:36:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Clear "stuck" transactions  (Read 899 times)
jimbursch (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 07:51:58 PM

Last week I created a 0.191 btc transaction with 0 tx fee -- moving btc from one wallet to another -- and the transaction never posted to the blockchain -- 0 confirms.

Today I downloaded and installed version .9, and I was looking through the menu options and a saw "Clear All Unconfirmed", so I clicked on it and got the message that unconfirmed messages would be cleared and I can retry "stuck" transactions.

My understanding is that the transaction would have been posted to the bitcoin network and gone into some miners queue to eventually be added to the blockchain, and that because of the 0 tx fee, it may take some time (as long as five days, from what I could ascertain from the forums).

Here are my questions, stemming from my imperfect knowledge of the bitcoin protocol and operation of wallets:

What is a "stuck" transaction and how does a transaction get "stuck"?

Where is a transaction "stuck"? In the wallet? Does a "stuck" transaction get transmitted to the bitcoin network?

Is it possible that my 0.191 transaction is still sitting in miners queue, and may yet get added to the blockchain (it is more than seven days now)?

When I cleared unconfirmed transactions (the 0.191 transaction was cleared), does that mean than the unconfirmed transaction is cleared also from the bitcoin network (cleared from miners queue)?

MyMindshare -- a commercial messaging system -- check it out at  *Link Removed*
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jimbursch (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 09:15:50 PM

I found the answer to most of my questions here:

https://bitcoinarmory.com/download/troubleshooting/

My only remaining questions is:

When I cleared unconfirmed transactions (the 0.191 transaction was cleared), does that mean than the unconfirmed transaction is cleared also from the bitcoin network (cleared from miners queue)?

When I searched for the tx id on blockchain.info a few days ago, I got no results, which I take to mean that the transaction never got broadcast, nor did the transaction get subsequently broadcast on restarts of Armory. From what I can gather, this sounds like an issue between Armory and QT.

Perhaps I'll try the exact same transaction again and see what happens.

Thanks!

MyMindshare -- a commercial messaging system -- check it out at  *Link Removed*
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 03:30:39 AM

Yes, just try it again.  The reason it gets stuck like that is because Armory and Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind both think it's been broadcast but it actually hasn't been.  You have to use "Help"->"Clear All Unconfirmed" and restart both apps in order to forget about it locally.

After that, just broadcast it again.  It's as if the first one never happened... because it didn...

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: