Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:29:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicago Bitcoin Bar Meetup  (Read 1633 times)
nootropicsforbitcoins (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 08:10:23 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2013, 11:12:42 AM by nootropicsforbitcoins

Curious to gauge interest in a future meetup to discuss the current state of bitcoins in Chicago/IL businesses and bitcoins all around.

Been one of the few Chicago businesses accepting bitcoins for the past few years.

I'd be willing to accept bitcoins (and possibly other cryptocurrencies) for drink purchases at some awesome bar to make it a fun event.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 12:32:47 AM

Curious to gauge interest in a future meetup to discuss the current state of bitcoins in Chicago/IL businesses and bitcoins all around.

Been one of the few Chicago businesses accepting bitcoins for the past few years.

I'd be willing to accept bitcoins (and possibly other cryptocurrencies) for drink purchases at some awesome yet divey bar to make it a fun event.

I live ~50 due west of Chicago. Currently, I'm in Vegas at the Inside Bitcoins conference. PM me a reminder.

Bruno Kucinskas
Kith

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 10:07:10 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2013, 06:45:21 PM by Kith

Sounds fun... Im in. I love live on the northside.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 10:17:23 AM

Sounds fun... Im in. I love on the northside.

Heard that! There's not much love on the Southside.  Roll Eyes

Please PM me prior to any meetups, for you can't have a successful Bitcoin meetup without The Most Interesting Bitcoiner in the World in attendance.  Grin

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 01:18:42 PM

How's the 3rd weekend of Jan work for you both?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 01:57:39 AM

How's the 3rd weekend of Jan work for you both?

Only if it's a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Kith

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 07:00:27 PM

Friday would work... Im out of town on saturday
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 02:26:25 AM

I'd be willing to accept bitcoins (and possibly other cryptocurrencies) for drink purchases at some awesome yet divey bar to make it a fun event.

I live ~50 due west of Chicago. Currently, I'm in Vegas at the Inside Bitcoins conference. PM me a reminder.

Bruno Kucinskas
Bruno -- really?  I did medical school in Chicago…we lived in Wheaton…I'll be in Winfield between Christmas and new years -- I'd like to meet you!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
glcbitcoin

Activity: 9

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 03:45:48 PM

There is a Meetup at:

Atlas Brewing Company
2747 North Lincoln Avenue, Chicago, IL

Atlas Brewing Company in Chicago's Lincoln Park Neighborhood has agreed to accept Bitcoin on a trial basis on the evening of Tuesday January 7th, 2014.
Bring your coins to show your support for this local merchant to accept Bitcoin!
You will be able to pay for your food and beverages with Bitcoin.
Contact jonathan@chicagomint.com for more info!

Starts at 7pm.  This is the 1st bar/restaurant that I know of to start accepting BTC. 

Does anyone else know of a bar/restaurant in the Chicago area that accepts BTC? 
I'd love to know if there is!

This Meetup is is sponsored by "The Chicago Bitcoin Meetup" group at meetup.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 03:06:56 PM

There is a Meetup at:

Atlas Brewing Company

Atlas Brewing Company in Chicago's Lincoln Park Neighborhood has agreed to accept Bitcoin on a trial basis on the evening of Tuesday January 7th, 2014.
Bring your coins to show your support for this local merchant to accept Bitcoin!

Starts at 7pm.  This is the 1st bar/restaurant that I know of to start accepting BTC. 

Will Atlas be there?

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 09:58:30 PM

There is a Meetup at:

Atlas Brewing Company

That is fantastic news. I've been trying to get other businesses to accept BTC here but most of them either: 1. Think bitcoins are used only by drug dealers. 2. See no point in accepting something different. 3. Too complicated.

I'll be there and contact my Chicago bitcoin customers to come as well.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 04:08:36 AM

Unless something comes up unexpected, count me in, for I probably need to drum up support for the following once a date is set: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=389853.0

I'll even get ahold of Chicago Cabbie, for I still have that custom hand-tooled leather Bitcoin wallet with the Flash Cab logo on it that I need to give him. The last couple of times I've been to Chicago, I keep missing him. He's a great guy: https://twitter.com/ChicagoCabbie

~TMIBTCITW
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 02:43:45 AM

Status, and how many are plannin' on attendin'? Bear in mind that it's goin' be frickin frigid come Tuesday night, thus it'll be prudent to not don a pink tutu.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm reaching out to Chicago Cabbie to see if he can attend being he lives not too far from Atlas Brewing Company, even if I have to pick him up (he turns the cab in at the end of his shift) and bring him home, even if I have to do such early, then return to the meetup.

Whether Chicago Cabbie is able to attend or not, all those in attendance will have the opportunity to see the custom hand-tooled leather wallet depicting the Flash Cab logo and bearing his moniker. In fact, I'll have some other examples of my brother-in-law's wares to give all those interested in a custom leather wallet, or some other custom leather product, a feel for the fine workmanship. Don't worry, I'm not a pushy salesperson, thus nobody will be obligated to purchase a damn thing--just a show-and-tell thingy.

~TMIBTCITW
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 04:22:31 AM

Signed up to Meetup for the very first time so that I could have the ability to see how many plan on attending. To my surprise, it looks like only 45... ONLY 45 bitcoiners. That's it!!! Doesn't seem to be worth my time, hence...

Seriously, I couldn't believe that at least 45 bitcoiners are planning on attending. I truly look forward to making this event.

~TMIBTCITW
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 05:54:02 PM

Anybody here planning on attending tomorrow? I'm still on schedule in spite of the cold and distance.

~TMIBTCITW
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 06:01:14 PM

Just made a phone call to Atlas Brewing Company and it seems like 30-40 are expecting to show, and here I set with nothing special to wear, but at least I'll have a real goat in tow in the back of my truck--seriously!

~TMIBTCITW
thegolden24

Activity: 98

follow me on twitter @BitcoinBender

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:37:12 PM

If the roads are tolerable by tomorrow I'll love to be a part of this meet up, not only to pick the brains of other bitcoiners but to promote businesses accepting bitcoin as payment. I'm opening a restaurant and bar in the next coming months and it will be the first bitcoin accepted business in my county(lasalle county).

Bitrated user: ChrisCarreon.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 05:25:00 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 06:00:16 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

If the roads are tolerable by tomorrow I'll love to be a part of this meet up, not only to pick the brains of other bitcoiners but to promote businesses accepting bitcoin as payment. I'm opening a restaurant and bar in the next coming months and it will be the first bitcoin accepted business in my county(lasalle county).

Knowing that Sandwich, IL, is located within parts of Kendall, DeKalb and LaSalle county, I'm curious as to where you'll be located. PM me if you don't what the info public yet. Also, if you're going with a rustic theme, I know this guy who sells barn wood.  Grin

~TMIBTCITW
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 10:19:03 PM

This fuckin' sucks! I couldn't make it to Hwy 47 in Yorkville due to Hwy 34 being ultra-sleek. I counted 8 cars (no trucks--yet) spuned out into the snow banks, and I even fish-tailed once, whereupon I decided right then and there I ain't making this meetup. I heard on WBBM AM-780 that most the highways were pretty clear traffic wise, but still feared black ice was abound.

It took me 30 minutes to go not even 10 miles, with 15 more to go before I got to I-5, the tollway.

As least the goat's happy, I believe, to be inside a warm garage. Perhaps, it'll tag alone with me for the next meetup.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm heading back to the HashFast thread to see if I can raise some more eyebrows.  Grin

~TMIBTCITW
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: