Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:53:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: will high value wallets eventually be targeted and cracked?  (Read 1491 times)
CoinCidental (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:49:46 PM

im not talking about the people with a hundred coins etc but more like 100k+

is it feasilble that a secure  wallet such as the dprs with 144,000btc could be cracked eventually
with more modern technology comes along or a group with powerful computers could work together
to brute force it ?

just interested in people storing offline ,when the prize is $100 mil or even a billion $  would those coins
still be there in say 10 years ?

Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ixne

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:51:44 PM

subcoin

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:52:37 PM

I think Bitcointalk needs to add face-palm icon...
CoinCidental (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:16:12 PM

ive seen this image b4 but theres been an awful lot of robberies in btcs short history

as the value continues upwards im sure there will be plenty more

everything is uncrackable ,until its cracked lol
Reece523

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:37:21 AM

Keyloggers and shady wallet services are a much bigger risk imo.
Why not use multiple wallets on multiple computers which connect to the internet only to do bitcoin transactions? I don't know that one can ever be too paranoid when it comes to security if we're talking that kind of money... Precautions are one heck of a lot cheaper than lost bitcoins.
I_bitcoin

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:44:57 AM

I love that picture

No matter where you go, there you are.
ixne

Activity: 211

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:48:24 AM

ive seen this image b4 but theres been an awful lot of robberies in btcs short history

as the value continues upwards im sure there will be plenty more

everything is uncrackable ,until its cracked lol

The laws of the universe don't protect you from stupidity. SHA-256 encryption has never been, and likely will never be, broken. However, SHA-256 encryption will not make you coffee, find you a girlfriend, or keep people from stealing your money if you leave it where they can get to it.

Your original post asked whether an offline wallet was safe. If that wallet was made correctly, all the points made in the image are correct.
CoinCidental (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:02:00 AM

ok,fair enough
most of the so called "robberies" have been more like cases
where the wallet holder was negligent with the keys rather than them
actually being cracked 
that makes me feel  more secure keeping larger stockpiles in the same  heavily protected wallet Cheesy
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:59:33 AM

Far more likely you're going to start seeing doxing of the people behind the addresses, and house break-ins and black-bag techniques to capture wallet passwords being typed in via hidden camera after breaking in and imaging the hard drive or something.  Or breaking in and stealing the paper wallets.  That's waaaaayyyy easier than just trying to brute force keys.

niniyo

Activity: 118

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:20:49 AM

ok,fair enough
actually being cracked  

No, obviously you still don't get it.  ALL of the cases have been stolen private keys, fraud, or insecurely generated addresses / signatures.  No one has EVER cracked a securely-generated bitcoin private key, and it's basically impossible that it will ever will happen.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:31:44 AM

ok,fair enough
actually being cracked 

Not always. Yesterday there was a thread here, started by an user whose BTCs were stolen. He had used 2FA and two passwords. So sometimes it is not exactly the owner's fault.
phazon307

Activity: 140

Don't fear Crypto Exchanges go with honest well kn

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:39:57 AM

I think it's very easy to steal someone else's BTC just get an address of someone who sells you some ask em how many they have left get their address go to their house and steal them. That being said why would you do that anyways sense you would be locked up and not be able to spend them?

Win up $200.00 usd in bitcoins every hour.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:47:10 AM

Had I known my quote would continually be used in the graphic for these types of threads I would have asked the person who turned it into a graphic (love the sun image BTW) to let me fix the horrible phrasing before it gained a life of its own.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:55:59 AM

I think it's very easy to steal someone else's BTC just get an address of someone who sells you some ask em how many they have left get their address go to their house and steal them. That being said why would you do that anyways sense you would be locked up and not be able to spend them?

This is why you shouldn't reuse addresses.  The system tries to protect users from themselves.  The coin selecting algorithm will attempt to find inputs which cover the tx.  So my wallet could have 1,000 BTC but the inputs used to pay you 9.5 BTC may only have 9.7 BTC in value with the 0.2 BTC excess change going to a new address.  There is nothing which indicates the true value of the wallet.

Reusing addresses and consolidating balances into single large addresses works against the system as designed.
CoinCidental (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:09:43 AM

This is why you shouldn't reuse addresses.  The system tries to protect users from themselves.  The coin selecting algorithm will attempt to find inputs which cover the tx.  So my wallet could have 1,000 BTC but the inputs used to pay you 9.5 BTC may only have 9.7 BTC in value with the 0.2 BTC excess change going to a new address.  There is nothing which indicates the true value of the wallet.

Reusing addresses and consolidating balances into single large addresses works against the system as designed.

thanks for clarifying that
also what the other said kinda rings true ,a lot of "hacker robberies "
that so many exchanges have fallen victim to the owners  may or may not have
had a hand in
either through dishonesty or negligence ,neither one is worth a fuck when the coins are gone though

most recently ,that sheep guy stole 96,000 BTC from his customers on his silk rd style site and claims he was robbed by
a hacker (which i understand now is not the same as wallet was hacked by forcie etc ) Cheesy
but 96,000 btc
one rich mo fo
btcperth

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:14:30 AM

Relevant XKCD comic ... http://xkcd.com/538/   Wink
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:18:19 AM

No Wallet has ever been cracked, an online wallet is NOT the same thing. it falls back on your loging in with a username and pass, Java, html, css, php etc. all have flaws. the right law and boom you own more than one wallet.

The wallet itself can not be cracked Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: