Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:54:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How fast the system will accomodate if the price makes mining uneconomical?  (Read 3587 times)
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:41:04 AM

The title says it all - what if the suddenly price falls below the economic threshold for most miners and they switch off.  Sending bitcoins will suddenly became very slow - how long that will last?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:44:05 AM

The title says it all - what if the suddenly price falls below the economic threshold for most miners and they switch off.  Sending bitcoins will suddenly became very slow - how long that will last?

The price would have to collapse for something like this to happen. The most probable outcome would be a progressive decrease of the hashing rate with the difficulty addapting itself.

Also, some miners might want to continue mining expecting higher prices in the future.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 11:50:17 AM

I think the mining market would be more stable if there were a parallel market in which you can "compute for bitcoins" like the one described here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36242.msg448647#msg448647

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:54:09 AM

The title says it all - what if the suddenly price falls below the economic threshold for most miners and they switch off.  Sending bitcoins will suddenly became very slow - how long that will last?

The price would have to collapse for something like this to happen. The most probable outcome would be a progressive decrease of the hashing rate with the difficulty addapting itself.

Yeah - I know it is not very probable - I just wanted to know the exact numbers.  What is the delay between hashing rate and difficulty.  I think I've read somewhere that it is asymmetrical - that is if hashing rate grows then the difficulty follows pretty quickly, but not the other way around for some security reasons.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:56:08 AM

The title says it all - what if the suddenly price falls below the economic threshold for most miners and they switch off.  Sending bitcoins will suddenly became very slow - how long that will last?

Yeah - I know it is not very probable - I just wanted to know the exact numbers.  What is the delay between hashing rate and difficulty.  I think I've read somewhere that it is asymetrical - that is if hashing rate grows then the difficulty follows pretty quickly, but not the other way around for some security reasons.

2000 and something blocks. If a block is found every 10 minutes exactly it takes 14 days to revise the difficulty.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:40:01 PM

Yeah - I know it is not very probable - I just wanted to know the exact numbers.  What is the delay between hashing rate and difficulty.  I think I've read somewhere that it is asymetrical - that is if hashing rate grows then the difficulty follows pretty quickly, but not the other way around for some security reasons.

2000 and something blocks. If a block is found every 10 minutes exactly it takes 14 days to revise the difficulty.
Hmm - but if miners quit - then waiting for new blocks will take longer then 10 minutes average.
NetTecture

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:52:25 PM

Unless this is a desaster style quitting (like in namecoin) it may then take like 12 minutes or so... this already isa  significant drop. But nothing that is a desaster for miners.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 01:16:43 PM

Unless this is a desaster style quitting (like in namecoin) it may then take like 12 minutes or so... this already isa  significant drop. But nothing that is a desaster for miners.

It's already taking 12min...
NetTecture

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:18:54 PM

Only sometimes, and then this is a decent approach down. Let it take 2 minutes for another 2-3 rounds - a slow slide down.

Look at how long namecoin take now to see a desaster for the chain.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:36:01 PM

Unless this is a desaster style quitting (like in namecoin) it may then take like 12 minutes or so... this already isa  significant drop. But nothing that is a desaster for miners.

Only sometimes, and then this is a decent approach down. Let it take 2 minutes for another 2-3 rounds - a slow slide down.

Look at how long namecoin take now to see a desaster for the chain.

No, it's not "only sometimes", it's on average. Don't feel like searching for the thread, but someone already made the analisys and for the last 2 days or so the average is 12ish minutes.

EDIT: Found the thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36585.0
Just in case you thought i was talking nonsense... Roll Eyes
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:04:19 PM

If the average block time is 12 minutes, then it will take about 12 * 2016 minutes = 16.8 days = 2.4 weeks to make the next adjustment.

I wouldn't worry much unless something like 75% of the network power (or more) evaporates very quickly.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Ten98

Activity: 1008
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 10:56:44 PM

Nothing much happens at all. You wait a few days for the difficulty to come down and transactions speed up again.
grod

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 04:03:03 AM

Once again, UNLESS it's like namecoin.  The only scenario I could see causing this would be a competing GPU compute application paying out vastly more than bitcoin.  And even then you'd probably see a slow leak even for a 3x payout.  It would take days to weeks for most people to switch, giving the network time to adjust difficulty down (although there is a cap of 4x drop or rise every 2016 blocks). 

Once again, I base this on namecoin.  Even when looking at a 2-3x the payout for mining namecoin only about 10-15% of the bitcoin mining power switches for the few days it is profitable, and a pretty good chunk of namecoin miners stick around for the other few months where they're giving up 40% of their processing power.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 02:00:07 AM

The more I read between the lines in this forums the more likely I think exactly this is going to happen...

People are nuts.
"Mining companies" popping up, selling hashrate for payment in advance, and if you think of it the only way this could even remotely profitable (for these "companies") is if price & difficulty were to drop slowly but steadily.
The worst part is people actually use these services... its a gamble I know either you win or they win but, I think in the long run both loose.
BitPorium

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:51:46 AM

The more I read between the lines in this forums the more likely I think exactly this is going to happen...

People are nuts.
"Mining companies" popping up, selling hashrate for payment in advance, and if you think of it the only way this could even remotely profitable (for these "companies") is if price & difficulty were to drop slowly but steadily.
The worst part is people actually use these services... its a gamble I know either you win or they win but, I think in the long run both loose.
Mining companies don't loose. The person buying the contract buys the company its hardware and probably pays for the electricity, at the end of the contract, The company has a bunch of hardware which can
A; be re rented at the same/ simmilar rate or sold. Either way, its profit
stevendobbs

Activity: 95
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 02:02:39 PM

There is a lot of computing power being devoted to generating bitcoins, this wont fall away quickly - many people are parasiting electricity usage. I myself do a little bit of mining, only 15 mhash out of interest. I pay the electricity bill, but at a flat rate in our offices...

... what might take this away is if a new more profitable source becomes available. I am surprised drug companies haven't begun tapping the computing power of many spare PC's But at some point, somebody might need spare computing power a great deal and be willing to pay for it. That might make people switch from bitcoin mining to something else.
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:15:38 PM

I've said it on these forums many times, but it begs repeating as long as these threads keep popping up.

People will continue to mine for Bitcoins even if they cross the point of being unprofitable. The reasoning behind this is that if you look at projects like SETI@home or Folding@home, that ask users to basically run the same (if not more) computationally expensive tasks on their CPU/GPU in the game on non-profit research.

These people are indirectly giving these projects a $20-$30 per month donation in electricity costs with getting nothing in return.

Now take Bitcoin. You'll be getting SOMETHING in return that you think MIGHT be worth something again one day.

You might see a drop off of large scale miners, or people who feel they've made their money... but I doubt we'll see a dramatic drop in hashrate.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 06:28:46 PM

I've said it on these forums many times, but it begs repeating as long as these threads keep popping up.

People will continue to mine for Bitcoins even if they cross the point of being unprofitable. The reasoning behind this is that if you look at projects like SETI@home or Folding@home, that ask users to basically run the same (if not more) computationally expensive tasks on their CPU/GPU in the game on non-profit research.

These people are indirectly giving these projects a $20-$30 per month donation in electricity costs with getting nothing in return.

Now take Bitcoin. You'll be getting SOMETHING in return that you think MIGHT be worth something again one day.

You might see a drop off of large scale miners, or people who feel they've made their money... but I doubt we'll see a dramatic drop in hashrate.
Yeah but people running rigs of gpus will go under.... and they are a significant part of the hashrate.
Not that this is a problem for me  Tongue
Furyan

Activity: 175

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 01:41:07 PM

If the global hashrate were to suddenly drop, there'd a a huge uptick in the value of a single miner - e.g. my 400MH/s would suddenly be able to generate blocks quite quickly and I'd earn several hundred BTC in a fraction of the time it takes now.  Good for me, bad for the network, but I'd be happy with it for awhile. 

At which point, people would see the value in it again, and the global hashrate would increase.

I tend to think the only way the system would collapse completely is the way ANY financial system collapses completely: A complete and total loss of confidence.  Where in the real world with Fiat currency that means economic and social collapse, here it simply means miners turning off their programs and stop visiting the forum.

Many online ventures have died such an inauspicious death.

So long as some of us believe Bitcoin and crypto-currencies like it have a future, and we keep working toward it, I don't see that happening.

Me, I'm trying to get as much USD into the exchangers as I can to snap up the now-ultra-cheap BTC flooding the market.  If my bets are right, the BTC I'm buying today for $6.50 will be worth 3x as much come the end of next year, maybe more.  And I'll actually be able to pay our hosting costs (which are not small) using the BTC we earn, instead of having to put it on a bloody credit card.

I kick myself for not acting on Bitcoin when I started hearing about it back in January.  I could have thousands of bitcoins now, generated from my own mining.

One can dream.
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 08:02:35 PM

If the global hashrate were to suddenly drop, there'd a a huge uptick in the value of a single miner - e.g. my 400MH/s would suddenly be able to generate blocks quite quickly and I'd earn several hundred BTC in a fraction of the time it takes now.
Well - my question was how quickly this would happen, because if you think that this would happen immediately - then you are mistaken.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: