Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 01:37:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Student loan of 1000$; What currency would YOU invest in?  (Read 1262 times)
Perttum (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:38:49 AM

Taking a student loan of 1000$ dollars today. Im the gambling type, so decided that investing it to various crypto-currencies would be a better idea than to use it for something like a new phone/computer or even better food than the usual tuna&noodels Grin

What currencies would you buy, as a poor student for 1000$ and why?

PS. Majoring in Finance and Marketing, so this decision is actually is against everything I've learnt in school  Grin
donkeykong9000

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:45:17 AM

Don't do it, investing in any cryptocurrency right now with borrowed money is just asking for trouble.

I'd say it would be better to invest in a cheap 1 or 2 gpu mining rig (single R9 280x or dual 7950 if you can find them) and mine the currency of your choice. Even if BTC goes to 0, you could still part it out or use it as a gaming machine  Smiley
derbinp

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:48:00 AM

Id invest in some mining hardware instead of just buying coins with that money. If anything goes wrong you can still sell the hardware and at-least recover some of your loss. Its a huge risk to take.
Perttum (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:50:08 AM

Was thinking of something along the lines of 50%BTC, 20%LTC, 20%Quark and maybe 10%Sexcoin. Initial plan is to hold for atleast for a few years(apart from sexcoin:D) till I finish my studies Tongue

And to donkeykong9000&derbinp - I am absolutely ready to lose it all, this 1000$ would pretty much anyways go to gambling,drugs and booze Cheesy
fiddelingones

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:52:16 AM

Taking a student loan of 1000$ dollars today. Im the gambling type, so decided that investing it to various crypto-currencies would be a better idea than to use it for something like a new phone/computer or even better food than the usual tuna&noodels Grin

PS. Majoring in Finance and Marketing, so this decision is actually is against everything I've learnt in school  Grin

I would buy 1 BTC. Much better than eat the 1000$ or spend on electronic, but it is just me I hate unnecessary consumption

mb2014

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:53:13 AM

Very volatile right now. LTC is a good currency that should be 0.25/1 BTC in many opinions.
fiddelingones

Activity: 127

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:56:05 AM

Was thinking of something along the lines of 50%BTC, 20%LTC, 20%Quark and maybe 10%Sexcoin. Initial plan is to hold for atleast for a few years(apart from sexcoin:D) till I finish my studies Tongue

And to donkeykong9000&derbinp - I am absolutely ready to lose it all, this 1000$ would pretty much anyways go to gambling,drugs and booze Cheesy

Few years will likely last only Bitcoin, maybe Litecoin as well but no merchant support so far even when Litecoin is here 2 years already...

cthomas1489

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:15:02 AM

From watching the BTC-e for a little bit I'd probably buy a bunch of LTC. Or spend the money on making a mining rig.
Perttum (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:17:43 AM

So BTC/LTC is the ones to go for a bit of middle to long-term investing?

BTW been having a lot of discussions with Finance majors about Bitcoin and the attitudes seem very 50/50. About 50% believe that its a complete bubble and will most likely crash to near 0, the other 50% are somewhat interested in it- but would never invest 1000$. Actually helped a few of these start their own wallets today Smiley

I myself see that Bitcoin holds tremendous potential as an alternative to storing value of inflating currencies right now. And if you guys have followed the news here in Europe, the situation is quite heated between Germany and Spain. If these countries don't get a sensible agreement on the current surpluses/deficits there might actually be a chance that the whole Euro-system would be stripped apart. IF this happens Eurocountries would definitely look into alternative ways to store currency value and this is where crypto-currencies such as BTC would come into play.

http://www.bruegel.org/nc/blog/detail/article/1189-the-german-trade-surplus-may-widen-with-the-euro-area-recovery/
RedRobin2442

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:19:22 AM

I would just use the money for an education

...sounds like you really need it.

Perttum (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:24:15 AM

^^^^^^
Education free here buddy  Wink
Reece523

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:35:17 AM

I also would recommend the mining hardware. If you don't care whether you lose the money or not, I guess you can put it in something like you're thinking -- bitcoin, litecoin, and something more speculative sounds like a nice combination to me. Good luck with whatever you decide Smiley
Perttum (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:43:00 AM

I also would recommend the mining hardware. If you don't care whether you lose the money or not, I guess you can put it in something like you're thinking -- bitcoin, litecoin, and something more speculative sounds like a nice combination to me. Good luck with whatever you decide Smiley
So 1000$ would be sufficient for good mining hardware? Could probably muster up another 1k$ easy for that- still looking to buy them coins right now regardless.
JohnnyAppleCeed

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:51:09 AM

My Advice:

Invest of 2-5% of the money. With that 2-5% assumed to be money that you would be OK losing.

5% of 1000 would give you 50 bucks to invest in crypto currency. With the way things are going I would invest in Quark. If quark moves from 0.25 to .50 dollars you double your money. In order to do that with bitcoin right now you would need bitcoin to move from 1000 to 2000. 50 bucks will buy you about 200 quark coins right now. Use that as a base and then try your hand at trading other coins to make your pile grow (or lessen!).  Or just buy, hold, and hope for the best.

Best of luck, have fun, and don't get too obsessed!
Perttum (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:11:00 AM

Actually willing to invest 100%, as I said gambling is my thing Cheesy Anyway thanks for the tips dudes, made my first purchases right now  Wink
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:12:51 AM

I'd say 50-50 on BTC and LTC. You won't go wrong with that combo
srilhblsfjhnlsfk

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:34:48 AM

If you're willing to gamble $1000, go buy otm 1.35 strike puts on the EUR/USD.
octo

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:51:24 AM

I'd say 50-50 on BTC and LTC. You won't go wrong with that combo

Agreed. BTC is likely to stand the test of time, though LTC has a lot of potential.
Apropos

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:31:01 AM

Id invest in some mining hardware instead of just buying coins with that money. If anything goes wrong you can still sell the hardware and at-least recover some of your loss. Its a huge risk to take.
I second this.  You might as well do some mining to give you a better idea of the currencies as well.
hunkster

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 05:34:20 AM

I'd invest in studying.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: