Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:17:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: interesting new coin[DATACOIN]  (Read 1318 times)
spacegoat (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

We are connected. you are me I am you.

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:58:35 AM

what do you think about data coin, I thought it stood out as an interesting coin with an innovative idea as its purpose is to use the blockchain to store files.  i'm still not sure how its going to work but if its engineered right it could take as an idea people use.  it looks like they've got a ways to go but its only 2 weeks old...  what do you think?  http://datacoin.info/

get datacoin at bter.com

yeah baby yeah
CrytoEnthusiast

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:04:50 AM

Datacoin is one of the few new alt coins that actually are innovative. I'm watching it very closely and I think it'll go up in price.
spacegoat (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:27:14 AM

yeah it only kicks out 11 coins a block, from what i've read so far is in the two weeks since its development it is traded on bter and another one, there about a million in existence, a bunch of people are voting to get it on cryptsy, the developers are working on opening up the major functions where the blockchain starts to carry data.

it is an interesting idea, its starting to make me feel like these coins and their algorhythms are going to play key roles in the future of information maintenence.  its brilliant.   imagine if all the BTC miners out there were using those loads and loads of Hashes and maintaining a useful system.  this guys idea is pretty historical actually in the cryptocoin world, someone could do a cherry story on it.  research all about it and present some kind of pro's con's report, it would be helpful

yeah baby yeah
maxxoccupancy

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:28:55 AM

I really like the idea of an altcoin that does something useful with its cycles.  Encrypting and storing mission critical data seems like something useful to me.

I would like to work on development of a polymorphic altcoin that maintains a stable value and is more resistant to fraud.
btc: 15diNSNVontYf5iUvQqnLSQJ9rCAHuwpyJ   betyourbits.com      LTC: LRqVTEPcS7uusMy7JDqYEUg6KqdhfRWC5B
DogECoin: DDHG719WNCCav5MWQQqyxLABFhZTG3jwX3     QRK:  QdKnP5SqoG9r4CNuFcY1oesaYUAsu1W5hF
maxsolnc

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 06:33:21 AM

yeah it only kicks out 11 coins a block, from what i've read so far is in the two weeks since its development it is traded on bter and another one, there about a million in existence, a bunch of people are voting to get it on cryptsy, the developers are working on opening up the major functions where the blockchain starts to carry data.

it is an interesting idea, its starting to make me feel like these coins and their algorhythms are going to play key roles in the future of information maintenence.  its brilliant.   imagine if all the BTC miners out there were using those loads and loads of Hashes and maintaining a useful system.  this guys idea is pretty historical actually in the cryptocoin world, someone could do a cherry story on it.  research all about it and present some kind of pro's con's report, it would be helpful

Just few words about Datacoin growth. There are a lot of developers, right, but not only them. One forum member offered help, he has strong experience in finance, investment banking, venture capitals, now he has advisory firm. We're working together at SWOT analysis (extended version of 'pros and cons'), business plan and investment memorandum. We will publish some results in several days, so Datacoin will grow not only as application, but also as financial instrument.

DTC: DMcKNp47fNtgM7sritK9GfJEQ1DzME5nwk
BTC: 1FgUGra685ZwkrX5VnRvfaYp4bHJhC7x4H
Bitcoin-hotep

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:49:45 AM

That's pretty cool could you freeze your info the way people put btc on cold wallets?

maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 06:51:35 AM

That's pretty cool could you freeze your info the way people put btc on cold wallets?
Yes, you can store your encrypted wallet.dat or keypairs, write down and save transaction id - that's it!

Sharky444

Activity: 724
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 07:00:54 AM

very interesting coin, but in huge need of a pool. it's too hard to mine solo.

Radix - just imagine
cryptrol

Activity: 637

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 07:08:49 AM

For anyone interested in trying Datacoin without installing the actual wallet you can use https://krypte.net , you can upload/download data, and send/receive coins as well (working on a nice feature ATM).
maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 08:18:54 AM

Also you can work with new block explorer to check your transactions, wallets, etc
(released by Snard)
http://www.chainbrowser.com/

spacegoat (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:17:44 AM

nice work on the new developments everybody dang.  so in the chain browser, those files- those are encrypted files people have put onto the blockchain?  is there any way to unencrypt them?  this is really cool.

yeah baby yeah
maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 09:23:07 AM

nice work on the new developments everybody dang.  so in the chain browser, those files- those are encrypted files people have put onto the blockchain?  is there any way to unencrypt them?  this is really cool.

I think that most of these files (just now) are bzipped, but in future there will be easy steps for encrypting. Just now you can also do it, but in that case you need command promt .

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 02:25:54 AM

I think its a coin with a reason unlike most of other coins and i believe that right now its the most profitable coin to mine since you can still solo mine and block is about 10 dollars

I would like to see a pool fast though!
Exocyst

Activity: 266

Science!

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:14:55 AM

I worry that a Proof-of-work function—even a decentralizing function like prime chains—will eventually limit total node number. A "proof-of-nodality" coin release would incentivize a greater number of full nodes. The chain is likely to be massive in time, and the incentive to run a full node for network integrity will diminish in time leaving a far fewer number of permanent large capacity nodes and a vulnerable network.

maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 09:53:13 AM

I worry that a Proof-of-work function—even a decentralizing function like prime chains—will eventually limit total node number. A "proof-of-nodality" coin release would incentivize a greater number of full nodes. The chain is likely to be massive in time, and the incentive to run a full node for network integrity will diminish in time leaving a far fewer number of permanent large capacity nodes and a vulnerable network.
I think that it will be very helpful to implement one feature in wallet. When anyone installs it, he can select place where to store blockchain. Today HDDs are really cheap, and in fact the storage space is limited by total coin number. Even with current difficulty - 5.000.000 coins per year, which is equal to only 100 GB during first year, (possibly) 200 GB the next year, and so on. 100 gb today cost really very cheap, several dollars, not more.

maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 01:04:49 PM

just to clarify one thing about 'proof-of-nodality'. Cheating will be pretty easy: create many VMs, make link to ONE blochchain file in each of them. Voila!
As you see, there is still no solid concept regarding reward for storage space, there ways to cheat even in bittorent network though it is not money-related.

cryptrol

Activity: 637

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 04:19:38 PM

I think that it will be very helpful to implement one feature in wallet. When anyone installs it, he can select place where to store blockchain.
AFAIK it's already implemented on Bitcoin it's called --datadir
maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 04:20:58 PM

I think that it will be very helpful to implement one feature in wallet. When anyone installs it, he can select place where to store blockchain.
AFAIK it's already implemented on Bitcoin it's called --datadir
The same for Datacoin - I use --datadir to specify folder with donations wallet, no need to replace wallets. But it should be added as GUI feature.

pastet89

Activity: 378
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 08:13:35 PM

Interesting coin, indeed!
However, I never found out how much is the total coins supply if coins which will be ever mined?

Cryptostats.es
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 09:48:59 PM

Interesting coin, indeed!
However, I never found out how much is the total coins supply if coins which will be ever mined?

I replied you at the other thread Wink

Congrats on the idea!
How much will be the total coins ever mined?
Or it has no limit and everlasting inflation such as XPM?

There is a max although quite big. It is 2 billion coins.

That being said those will be mined in a couple of centuries (i think i read 400 years somewhere) if we assume moores law will be the same...

Right now there are about 2.1 million coins out after almost 3 months...

See this thread too Wink https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=358592.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: