Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:17:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 82 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did you come to Bitcointalk?  (Read 146362 times)
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:51:53 PM

Just wondering

I have a friend who started talking to me about bitcoins.  Although I consider myself to be informed on technology, I guess I never really paid any attention to bitcoins or really knew what they were.  At first when I read about them I laughed.  I thought they were a scam.  However, after reading more about the nature of bitcoins, how they were produced, how the blockchain keeps track of all of the transactions that ever occur with bitcoins and other things about them, I no longer thought of them as a scam and realized their potential to be a viable currency.  I invested a small amount of funds in bitcoin through Coinbase just to that I could say that I was a part of this idea that I now believe could alter the way that funds are transferred between parties.  I joined this forum so that I could talk to others about their experiences with bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies.

I also think that if bitcoin (or any other cryptocurrency) is going to succeed as a viable currency, two main things should happen:

1.  More businesses need to be open to the idea of accepting bitcoin.  I think that as more businesses are willing to accept bitcoins, more people will be open to the idea of using them as a currency.
2.  Just as businesses accepting bitcoins will help stimulate the bitcoin economy, there must be a willingness on the part of people who own bitcoins to spend some of them rather than keep them only as an investment.  Although it may be a good idea to keep some bitcoins as an investment (part of my bitcoin holding is as a speculative investment), I think that people need to be more willing to spend some of their bitcoins so that those businesses that are accepting will continue to accept them and possibly encourage more businesses to accept them.

There are probably many other things that could help to validate the currency as legitimate (recognition by governments and other financial institutions, having an open-minded public that is willing to recognize it as a legitimate currency).  I am hoping that this currency will succeed since I think it could solve some of the problems we have with fiat currencies.

I have been emailing various companies and have gotten some good responses If anyone wants to help the emails are here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=364160.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:59:19 PM

I used to follow Bitcointalk for a while to get the latest news about Bitcoin. Finally, a bout one year ago, I thought it was time to join.
neolite-123

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:42:13 PM

mainly to learn more about crypto coins (bitcoin and alt-coins).   I remember reading about it all a couple of years ago (2010?) and actually starting mining a bit.     Stopped after a couple of weeks because I thought it was all a joke - what a mistake that was.     (at least I put my gpu's to good use running Folding at home).

So now back in the spring of this year I ordered a jalepeno from Butterfly labs and also started miining litecoin.   Got my Jalapeno in september and started mining btc with it.     Now I'm looking to learn more about this entire subject.
tyler27

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:43:20 PM

Just wondering

Best community for information on Cryptocurrencies  Cheesy
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:46:32 PM

I like the fact that its such a libertarian community without actually being "libertarianforum.org". Also some of the people here are crazy smart. Also my main interests are economics, philosophy and technology so there are a lot of people here who share those interests.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
brodude

Activity: 38

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:25:44 PM

Initially for info about Bitcoin. But, as it turned out, altcoins can be just as profitable.
Publius

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:08:40 PM

I've been CPU and ASIC mining BTC and several alt coins for awhile and finally laid out some dough for a scrypt/GPU mining setup. It's mining successfully but only at half speed so I signed up to get some help figuring out why 2 of my GPUs won't hash worth a crap. I've lurked this forum for a few years and it's been of great value. Glad to finally be part of it.
mortare

Activity: 765
Merit: 283

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 07:21:47 PM

Here because there is so much info here, great.

▬◇
▬◇▬◆
▬◇▬◇▬◆

███
███░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░███░░░███░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░███░░░███░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░███
███
◇▬
◆▬◇▬
◆▬◇▬◇▬
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:52:31 PM

I like the fact that its such a libertarian community without actually being "libertarianforum.org". Also some of the people here are crazy smart. Also my main interests are economics, philosophy and technology so there are a lot of people here who share those interests.

Yes this is a good place I am not aligned with any political party But I do wish there were more liberals here just so we could see more a a charitable bitcoin community

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:35:25 PM

Yes this is a good place I am not aligned with any political party But I do wish there were more liberals here just so we could see more a a charitable bitcoin community

This liberals are charitable thing is a myth. I suppose it probably comes from this fact that liberals are more inclined to advocate the use violence and threats of violence in order to compulsorily redistributing peoples property, but that is the furthest thing from charity. Conservatives for example donate, on average, a significantly higher proportion of their income to charity than liberals do.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
rebel24

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:49:00 PM

to talk with people about fellow coins im interested in
Jedi_Mike

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:50:25 PM

Been meaning to sign up for a while, but now I've ordered some serious equipment (TerraMiner!!), I figure sign up and get some advice from the more mature miners as I need it. I mean every question I ask, Google sends me back to here, so thought I would cut out the middle man! Great forum with great people, hope I can give as much as I receive!
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:09:34 PM

This liberals are charitable thing is a myth. I suppose it probably comes from this fact that liberals are more inclined to advocate the use violence and threats of violence in order to compulsorily redistributing peoples property, but that is the furthest thing from charity. Conservatives for example donate, on average, a significantly higher proportion of their income to charity than liberals do.

Lol Taxes are not force and violence You act like liberals break into your home and take the gold teeth out of your mouth Taxes are part of the amendments if you don't pay the government can constitutionally do something about it That's not the fault of liberals it is in the constitution

Liberals tend to be ethnic (black, jewish etc) and ethnic people are always more geared towards helping their communities And usually with a specifically non violent message

exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:11:30 PM

The original reason was so that I could sign up for free bonuses in the gambling section to get free BTC.
Worked for a bit and was able to accumulate some free stuff!

Now it's just to learn and keep up to date on what's happening BTC related!

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:16:55 PM

to talk with people about fellow coins im interested in

What coins are those?

lambdaE

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:20:10 PM

I joined to get latest information about Bitcoins here and it works.
The only thing I dont understand is why some feel the need to discuss Altcoins in other sections than Alternate Cryptocurrencies, or their home forums... This is BitcoinTalk forum, see the url in your browser
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:21:00 PM

Been meaning to sign up for a while, but now I've ordered some serious equipment (TerraMiner!!), I figure sign up and get some advice from the more mature miners as I need it. I mean every question I ask, Google sends me back to here, so thought I would cut out the middle man! Great forum with great people, hope I can give as much as I receive!

Where do you get mining equipment I haven't read up on it in like 4 months or more and when I did people were saying Butterfly labs was the only place to get stuff and everything was back ordered like a year

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:22:28 PM

The only thing I dont understand is why some feel the need to discuss Altcoins in other sections than Alternate Cryptocurrencies, or their home forums... This is BitcoinTalk forum, see the url in your browser

Bitcointalk is where altcoins were born lol

Spencer

Activity: 35

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:22:40 PM

I registered because I wanted to have some way of getting support for Middlecoin's pool.  Since Cryptsy is taking a dump right now I've supposedly got .01+ unpaid BTC from just over a day of mining with a 7870.  Hope that's not an error, but the way the unexchanged BTC graph has been shooting up has me worried.
lambdaE

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:35:14 PM

Bitcointalk is where altcoins were born lol

True, without Bitcointalk there would be no altcoins, but outside Bitcointalk these altcoins doesnt exist as well. The only problem is the altcoins spam some sections, making it harder to read Bitcoin related news
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 82 »
  Print  

Jump to: