Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 08:40:37 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What will be the best Altcoin?
Feathercoin - 9 (14.1%)
PPC - 11 (17.2%)
Litecoin - 30 (46.9%)
Ripple - 5 (7.8%)
XPM - 9 (14.1%)
Total Voters: 64

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will be the best Altcoin?  (Read 1840 times)
PBvanApeldoorn (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:15:16 AM

What coins should we invest in and why?
Vernunft

Activity: 53

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:21:11 AM

I suppose LTC. QRK could be third.
Ademan

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:37:20 AM

Namecoin is the only altcoin with a strong reason to exist. Most other alts are very slight variations on a theme, and I don't think that's a good reason to exist. *Because* LTC is the second most popular coin, and because of the short block time, and super low fees (in part because of the lower value of LTC) I think LTC has some value, but it's still just a slight variation on BTC.

If one of the proof-of-stake coins does things "right" (no central checkpointing, prevents gaming the blockchain, etc) that would be very worthy of people's use, but I am unaware of a proof-of-stake coin that avoids the above.

In short, I think Namecoin is clearly the best Altcoin, as it offers something new, maybe LTC as a third.

I predict LTC will continue to be #2 though, because people never listen to me ;-)
umaOuma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:56:59 AM

Namecoin is the only altcoin with a strong reason to exist. Most other alts are very slight variations on a theme, and I don't think that's a good reason to exist. *Because* LTC is the second most popular coin, and because of the short block time, and super low fees (in part because of the lower value of LTC) I think LTC has some value, but it's still just a slight variation on BTC.

If one of the proof-of-stake coins does things "right" (no central checkpointing, prevents gaming the blockchain, etc) that would be very worthy of people's use, but I am unaware of a proof-of-stake coin that avoids the above.

In short, I think Namecoin is clearly the best Altcoin, as it offers something new, maybe LTC as a third.

I predict LTC will continue to be #2 though, because people never listen to me ;-)

Good analyse of the situation, I believe Namecoin will become #1 Altcoin only after the decentralized dns records become necessary
Yurizhai

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:59:34 AM

Ripple isn't a coin. NMC is missing. I voted PPC. By the end of next year it will be clear.
Meebo

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:00:36 AM

I chose Ripple (not a coin), because I think that this poll is a joke.

Main contenders are left out...
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

Activity: 868

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:24:31 PM

Read my post on Namecoin being the Platinum of cryptos.

http://www.legitcoinage.com/?p=90

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
scarface

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Spectiv VR Crowdsale: 12/08/17

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:41:25 PM

▄▄████████████▄▄             
          ▄███▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀███▄▄        
       ▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██▄      
     ▄██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███    
   ▄██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄█████████████▄  
  ▄██░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█████████░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█▌ 
 ▐██░░░░░░░░▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄░░░░░░░░▀█▌
▐██░░░░░░▄███▀▀███████████████▀▀██▄░░░░░░██▌
████▄░░▄██▀███████▄██████▄████████▀██▄░░░▐██
██░▀████▀██████████████████████████████▄░░██
██░░░▀██▄█████████████████████████▄██▀▀██▄██
██▌░░░░▀███▄████████▀▀▀▀███████▄██▀░░░░░▀███
▐██░░░░░░░▀███▄▄███████████▄▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░██▌
 ▐██░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▌
  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▌ 
   ▀███▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██▀  
     ▀██▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██▀    
       ▀███▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██▀      
          ▀████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███▀         
              ▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀             

[ Website ]                    

Ademan

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:48:14 PM

Read my post on Namecoin being the Platinum of cryptos.

http://www.legitcoinage.com/?p=90

Interesting article, I'm glad at the end you mentioned that scarcity isn't the only thing to look at, since that's what I was thinking to myself through the first part of the article  Tongue. I think Namecoin deserves an analysis of its value based on its value as a distributed DNS, its value as a general K/V store (some people are talking about building in a torrent tracker, and other features, since Namecoin isn't technically limited to DNS), along with scarcity, and its development problems (NMC has a leadership issue right now).
timk225

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:57:08 PM

Litecoin is the second place coin, and Feathercoin is the third place coin.
surfer43

Activity: 560

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:06:06 PM

Skeincoin  Grin
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:09:26 PM

The poll is biassed in my opinion or the thread has been poorly researched.
The best altcoin is the one that gives most value either by pump and dump or by stability.

There are many coins that can make it. No one knows. There are many coins that give good value if pumped and dumped.

If you look at the coin market cap for most adopted coin (http://coinmarketcap.com/) then Feathercoin is #10 whereas Worldcoin, Quarkcoin and Megacoin are higher yet not mentioned in this thread.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
arnoo

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:18:39 PM

Deutche eMark

and for fun Incakoin
RoooooR
Legendary

Activity: 1008

GigTricks.io | A CRYPTO ECOSYSTEM FOR ON-DEMAND EC

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:36:37 PM

I can't see Quark. And XRP is not a coin.

█ █ █ █ █
         ██           ██
       ██     █ █ █ █   ██
     ██    ██        ██
   ██   ██               
  ██   ██     ████████                  ██████████
            ███          ██   █████████     ██      ██████  ██   ███████  ██    ███   ███████
 ██   ██    ███              ██      ███    ██      ██          ███       ██   ███  ██
 ██   ██    ███  ██████  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ███   ██
            ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██████     ███████
 ██   ██    ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ██           ██
             ██      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██   ███         ██
 ██   ██      ███████    ██   █████████     ██      ██      ██   ███████  ██    ███  ███████
  ██   ██                           ███
   ██    ██          ██            ███
     ██    ██ █ █ █ █   ██
       ██             ██
          █ █ █ █ █ █

Telegram     Facebook     Twitter     Medium
-------------------------------------------------------------------
.WEBSITE. |█| .WHITEPAPER.

......BOUNTY......
-----------------------------------
..ANN THREAD..
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:54:38 PM

XRP are coins, Ripple is not. While Ripple might be successful, I am a bit sceptical about XRP...

Also "best" is very subjective!

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
bitdwarf

Activity: 406

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:02:23 PM

Here we go again.

You can start by removing from your list all litecoin copies.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:03:30 PM

Don't forget to add TagCoin and DigitalCoin Wink.

Together with LTC (and probably FTC) they do have a future.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
Ademan

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:08:27 PM

The best altcoin is the one that gives most value either by pump and dump or by stability.

There are many coins that can make it. No one knows. There are many coins that give good value if pumped and dumped.

If you look at the coin market cap for most adopted coin (http://coinmarketcap.com/) then Feathercoin is #10 whereas Worldcoin, Quarkcoin and Megacoin are higher yet not mentioned in this thread.

Pump and dump coins are not valuable in any real sense, they're just bubbles ready to burst, I don't know why you'd say that provides value. The winners in pump and dump are completely at the expense of the losers, no wealth has been created, the world is not a better place, and it doesn't even serve as a good medium of exchange...

EDIT: I guess the initial question is "what should we invest in" which is different from the topic of "what is the best altcoin" and I guess pump and dump could be a valid investment vehicle, albeit a very risky one, you never know if you're the *greatest* fool or not.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:31:39 PM

Pump and dump coins are not valuable in any real sense, they're just bubbles ready to burst, I don't know why you'd say that provides value. The winners in pump and dump are completely at the expense of the losers, no wealth has been created, the world is not a better place, and it doesn't even serve as a good medium of exchange...

EDIT: I guess the initial question is "what should we invest in" which is different from the topic of "what is the best altcoin" and I guess pump and dump could be a valid investment vehicle, albeit a very risky one, you never know if you're the *greatest* fool or not.

Yes the topic is "What is the best altcoin" that can be interpreted in many ways.
For me the best altcoin is the one I can earn money with.
Bubbles allow money to be made we all do it, also what is a bubble? Bitcoin is bubbling all the time is it wrong to invest in Bitcoin.

The topic title "what should we invest in" would better fit the purpose of the topic. I believe you want to know in which coin you would put your money for an extended period of time.

My definition of "Pump and dump" is mining a coin and trading it for LTC,BTC or whatever. This is risky but can yield good returns and sometimes you become an early adopter of newer coins. Worldcoin and Megacoin have been good for me and I hope my Emerald mining will be profitable too.

Fontas style "Pump and Dump" is market manipulation and is ofcourse a bad thing and extremely risky since you can't trust the guy organizing these pump&dumps.

And yes I'm a fool Cheesy

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Ademan

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:50:00 PM

Yes the topic is "What is the best altcoin" that can be interpreted in many ways.
For me the best altcoin is the one I can earn money with.
Bubbles allow money to be made we all do it, also what is a bubble? Bitcoin is bubbling all the time is it wrong to invest in Bitcoin.

The topic title "what should we invest in" would better fit the purpose of the topic. I believe you want to know in which coin you would put your money for an extended period of time.

My definition of "Pump and dump" is mining a coin and trading it for LTC,BTC or whatever. This is risky but can yield good returns and sometimes you become an early adopter of newer coins. Worldcoin and Megacoin have been good for me and I hope my Emerald mining will be profitable too.

Fontas style "Pump and Dump" is market manipulation and is ofcourse a bad thing and extremely risky since you can't trust the guy organizing these pump&dumps.

And yes I'm a fool Cheesy

I think you're right that OP meant the title to be "what should we invest in" so now I'm off topic...

I think the question "What will be the best Altcoin" is very interesting though. I think it's determined by what makes a good currency, I think that's defined by basic utility (though not much, a currency is helped by, but not defined by its basic utility), scarcity, durability (keeps its value), and liquidity. Other things like fungibility, transportability are roughly identical between cryptocurrencies. Durability and liquidity are also basically impossible to predict, but they probably are influenced by the two other properties I mentioned, scarcity but moreso basic utility.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: