Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 12:15:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DataCoin vs ElephantCoin vs Bitcoin for storing data.  (Read 980 times)
btc4ever (OP)

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:11:18 AM

So Datacoin seems to be up and coming these days, seemingly because it caters to storing data in the blockchain.

ElephantCoin has been around for a long time and offers the ability to store strings.

So how is datacoin different or better in this regard?  or is it?

Also, bitcoin 0.9 will support OP_RETURN which allows storing some data in fake addresses without needing to actually send any BTC.

As I understand it, ElephantCoin allows one to send tweetish size strings while DataCoin allows one to store multiple Kb and even more if you pay for it.

Is there more to it than that?    Do other coins support storing data?  

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
maxsolnc

Activity: 350

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:16:07 AM

So Datacoin seems to be up and coming these days, seemingly because it caters to storing data in the blockchain.

ElephantCoin has been around for a long time and offers the ability to store strings.

So how is datacoin different or better in this regard?  or is it?

Also, bitcoin 0.9 will support OP_RETURN which allows storing some data in fake addresses without needing to actually send any BTC.

As I understand it, ElephantCoin allows one to send tweetish size strings while DataCoin allows one to store multiple Kb and even more if you pay for it.

Is there more to it than that?    Do other coins support storing data?  

In that case ElephantCoin can be really used for something like anonymous twitter, Datacoin - for storing big files and archives (it's possible to create whole 'Datacoin Internet'), OP_RETURN in Bitcoin - something just like comments on multiple transactions etc.

As I know, Namecoin also allows to store data, but it has strong restrictions for formats.

DTC: DMcKNp47fNtgM7sritK9GfJEQ1DzME5nwk
BTC: 1FgUGra685ZwkrX5VnRvfaYp4bHJhC7x4H
GameKyuubi

Activity: 253
Merit: 1413

DTCxNMC

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:18:39 AM

Afaik, Datacoin is the only one where the main service is data storage, and that's the actual value of the coin.  Data storage.  So the coin actually has intrinsic value even if there are no payment adopters because it's spendable within its own network.

BTC: 15SLrNo6PKVfsH5JLtatJcVkSQXCk1LXyq
full stack Node
maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:25:51 AM

Afaik, Datacoin is the only one where the main service is data storage, and that's the actual value of the coin.  Data storage.  So the coin actually has intrinsic value even if there are no payment adopters because it's spendable within its own network.
Yes, it is brilliant economical idea: product and money in the same technology. We will release financial analysis for Datacoin soon, and this idea will be one of its main points.

btc4ever (OP)

Activity: 321

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:56:39 AM

I notice that datacoin uses primecoin POW algorithm.  ELP uses scrypt.

I would think that a coin whose primary purpose is storing data would be a good candidate for merge mining with bitcoin, to ensure the security / integrity of the data.    Anyway that seems to have worked well for namecoin.

Hmm, would it be possible to merge-mine datacoin with primecoin?   or ELP with litecoin?      I imagine that would require a hard-fork at this point.

Anyway, just wondering if merge-mining was considered for datacoin during development...?

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 11:04:02 AM

I notice that datacoin uses primecoin POW algorithm.  ELP uses scrypt.

I would think that a coin whose primary purpose is storing data would be a good candidate for merge mining with bitcoin, to ensure the security / integrity of the data.    Anyway that seems to have worked well for namecoin.

Hmm, would it be possible to merge-mine datacoin with primecoin?   or ELP with litecoin?      I imagine that would require a hard-fork at this point.

Anyway, just wondering if merge-mining was considered for datacoin during development...?

I don't exactly now about 'during development', but you can ask directly oocook5u or wait when he gives answer on that - this Q was asked some time ago

YourNerdyJoe

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:31:10 PM

Merge mining datacoin w/ xpm is actually a good idea.
The point of primecoin is finding prime numbers. Datacoin uses primecoin's POW algo.
However the prime numbers found with it in no way contribute to the xpm blockhain, so now there are 2 groups doing the same thing but one wants to store data as its primary goal.
It will require a hard fork so if it is going to be done, do it while the coin is still young.
asianjanedoe

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:24:57 PM

I know this thread is old, but I recently got an airdrop of some DATAcoin in myetherwallet.
Was wondering if this is the same coin or if it is different.
The airdrop is pretty new.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: