Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:51:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCGuild is down  (Read 1977 times)
Desolator (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:25:25 PM

I don't have a way of telling when this happened but sometime last night or this morning, apparently BTCGuild's mining servers and website all went down.  Since that's multiple servers in multiple locations, it seems odd to me.  Anyone know what's up with that?
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mike678

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:29:05 PM

I checked this morning at about 830 am est before I went to work and the servers were still up then.
bitminers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:31:36 PM

Theyre all down Sad btc guild that is.
Desolator (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:49:06 PM

Well at least it was more recent than I thought.  I got a whole approximately 0.4 BTC locked up in there Tongue so they better plug the servers back in and yell at whoever tripped over the power cord lol.

Btw I temporarily switched to deepbit, assuming that triple the GH/s means it's popular because it's better than BTC Guild.  What the hell?  Why do you people use that crappy pool?! Mandatory 3% fee!  Only hourly BTC balance updates?  Horribly insecure GET verification in their pages?!  That place is an expensive, featureless, security time bomb!  I want my BTC Guild back :-(  Anyone know of a popular pool that doesn't suck that I can use in the meantime?

EDIT: WTF?!?!?! They not only display my workers' passwords in plaintext on their site but also store them that way.  That's fantastic.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 04:40:43 PM

The website works for me, I just withdrew 8.9 BTC from BTCGUild, showed up immediately in my wallet as usual. I can't connect to the mining servers though, oh well, more MHash for my backup pools.

Well at least it was more recent than I thought.  I got a whole approximately 0.4 BTC locked up in there Tongue so they better plug the servers back in and yell at whoever tripped over the power cord lol.

Btw I temporarily switched to deepbit, assuming that triple the GH/s means it's popular because it's better than BTC Guild.  What the hell?  Why do you people use that crappy pool?! Mandatory 3% fee!  Only hourly BTC balance updates?  Horribly insecure GET verification in their pages?!  That place is an expensive, featureless, security time bomb!  I want my BTC Guild back :-(  Anyone know of a popular pool that doesn't suck that I can use in the meantime?

EDIT: WTF?!?!?! They not only display my workers' passwords in plaintext on their site but also store them that way.  That's fantastic.

For someone with 100+ posts I'd expect you to be more knowledgable. most sites don't even check your worker passwords, because all that someone can do with it, is mine for you, giving you bitcoins. So why set a hardcore secret password in the first place?
Desolator (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 04:49:46 PM

what if you used the same password for your workers as your account, like I bet most people did (not me though, duh).  Remember the Yahoo Korea's SRO hack?  That was all based on your account password matching your characters' passwords, which most people's did.

Anyway, I got a:

***** has not submitted shares for 182 minutes.
***** has not submitted shares for 181 minutes.

warning e-mail from BTCG and they're on 30 minute timers which means it must have been briefly back up but the site is down again now.  I would guess they're being DDOSed since that also happened to other pools.

Oh and they can't "just mine for you" they can set up some dummy miner and mine using your account which would jam your worker since I don't think you can have 2 machines as the same worker.  Then it messes up your stats since you have to create a new one.
sequence

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 06:15:42 PM

Website said they got DDos at 7am this morning.
dub0matic

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 06:25:59 PM

EDIT: WTF?!?!?! They not only display my workers' passwords in plaintext on their site but also store them that way.  That's fantastic.
deepbit is garbage go to bitclockers

make it rain haha
btc 176MrZ3CCXGb1GqFiGaoqQpaynzYqZsW6n
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 06:30:15 PM

From BTCGuild:
"BTC Guild was hit by a large scale DDoS attack around 7 AM (PST). The pool servers have been restored, but the website is having problems communicating with other servers. This is being fixed ASAP.

Your shares are currently being counted if you are mining, and blocks will be awarded as soon as the website is able to synchronize with the pool servers."
Desolator (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 12:00:08 AM

well, if all someone managed to eventually do was DDOS them I guess that means their security is pretty good.  DDOSing is like throwing a brick through the window after you fail to pick the lock Tongue hacking them would have done A LOT more damage than this.  I would think some other pool is behind this but I don't know that any would actually have enough people to pull it off.  It isn't the largest pool either so this wasn't some protest against bitcoins in general.  Who could possibly be behind this?  I'm suspicious that they're incorrect and some glitch in server responses caused repeated sending of data by all mining clients and they basically DDOSed themselves Tongue  any other theories or info?
sequence

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 02:30:14 AM

Well when are they gonna be back up Cry
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 02:46:27 AM

Well when are they gonna be back up Cry
They aren't down...

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
sequence

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:26:05 AM

Error 502 - Bad Request The server could not resolve your request for uri: http://btcguild.com/ "
That's what I keep getting when going to their site
sveetsnelda

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:55:56 AM

hmmm...  I mine there and they've been up all day.  Are you pointing at 69.42.216.173?

Desolator (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 05:11:45 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2011, 05:28:58 AM by Desolator

I think the default behavior of the GUIMiner is to use the domain name, not the IP, so it's not hard coded in case it changes.  That's kinda the point of DNS lol.  But it's possible only the domain or the IP behind the main website was being DDOSed and not the individual servers, which is how they adapted so quickly.  That seems somewhat likely, despite being a REALLY bad description of what I mean but you know what I mean Tongue

P.S. they're back up now.  They better share some IPs that the DDOSes were coming from cuz I'd help crowdsource their geographical IP data in a heartbeat...and then freakin bomb that country Tongue assuming they all come from the same country, which I bet they did.
sequence

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 09:44:33 AM

WellI guess going on BTCguild with ur phone browser may cause issues... working for me now
sveetsnelda

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 09:41:41 PM

I think the default behavior of the GUIMiner is to use the domain name, not the IP, so it's not hard coded in case it changes.  That's kinda the point of DNS lol.  But it's possible only the domain or the IP behind the main website was being DDOSed and not the individual servers, which is how they adapted so quickly.  That seems somewhat likely, despite being a REALLY bad description of what I mean but you know what I mean Tongue

P.S. they're back up now.  They better share some IPs that the DDOSes were coming from cuz I'd help crowdsource their geographical IP data in a heartbeat...and then freakin bomb that country Tongue assuming they all come from the same country, which I bet they did.
You haven't heard of DNS caching?  Wink

jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 10:59:22 PM

well, if all someone managed to eventually do was DDOS them I guess that means their security is pretty good.  DDOSing is like throwing a brick through the window after you fail to pick the lock Tongue hacking them would have done A LOT more damage than this.  I would think some other pool is behind this but I don't know that any would actually have enough people to pull it off.  It isn't the largest pool either so this wasn't some protest against bitcoins in general.  Who could possibly be behind this?  I'm suspicious that they're incorrect and some glitch in server responses caused repeated sending of data by all mining clients and they basically DDOSed themselves Tongue  any other theories or info?

They get DDOS because they ban bots...  so the bots think its fund to try and ddos them.. crazy.

Elue is a hard workeer and very capable programmer afaic tell from going thru upgrade to the 'super' server that was suppose to stop  or thwart these attacks.  That bot must be really pissed off.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Desolator (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 11:11:02 PM

what exactly is the function of bots in this context?  I know how what they do to MMORPGs but I can't imagine what anything automated would do to affect a mining pool.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: