Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 05:41:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I have a solution to the inequality  (Read 1070 times)
JohnCoins (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:07:43 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while and wanted to know what everyone thought.

It's become clear in the last few decades that power is unequally distributed in our country, and so I have a solution to make things more democratic.  I think that Corporations are deserving of 'official' seats in congress and senate.  This representation would equal 1/5th of the new total - i.e., corporations would be given an extra 25 seats in the senate, bringing the total number of seats to 125.  I know that a lot of people think that five seats would be enough, but I think the corporations that have provided so much for us and are such an important part of our economy deserve equal treatment.  Perhaps one day the world will be ready for a full corporate integration, but I can't see that happening for at least 50 years.

In order to expand our economy, we need to give fairer representations to corporations, and end the pervasive sentism that is rotting away our society.
RebelWorm

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:47:36 PM

Do you seriously want to give corporations MORE power? And I assume the biggest corporations would get the seats? What do you think will happen to consumer laws and rights? This is a really bad idea.
JohnCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:49:06 PM

I want them to have more transparent power.

As for the selection process, I'm not quite sure how it should be done, but I think the seats would be allocated a little differently than just "which company is the biggest".

As for consumer protections, I think the whole thing would be very self-regulating.
RebelWorm

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:56:29 PM

You must be trolling...
Corporations only go after their own interests (I'm not saying that politicians does not). They will only make laws that will maximize their profits and make more people use their product, no matter if it is a good healthy product, or a bad hazardous product. What if tobacco companies actually had a vote in the congress? Would they regulate tobacco more? No. They would make the govnerment encourage smoking. Would Monsanto regulate the use of GMO:s and pesticides? No.
Corporations should not rule a nation. Their lobby groups are enough already.
ZeWaren

Activity: 84

There be komodo dragons

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 03:58:37 PM

I lol'd.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
JohnCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:59:41 PM

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that yes, they will go after their own interests, but this will hopefully put an end to lobbying - if a tobacco company had a vote they wouldn't need to buy someone else's.
RebelWorm

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:03:46 PM

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that yes, they will go after their own interests, but this will hopefully put an end to lobbying - if a tobacco company had a vote they wouldn't need to buy someone else's.
Wouldn't it just be easier to regulate lobby groups?
JohnCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:07:07 PM

Please...
We all know that would be impossible to regulate.
RebelWorm

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:08:38 PM

Please...
Yeah, okay, it would be hard. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to give corporations a vote.
JohnCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:10:43 PM

Please...
Yeah, okay, it would be hard. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to give corporations a vote.

If it was one vote out of 125, what harm would it do?

And before you say it's 25 corporate votes and not 1, remember that they all have different interests.
RebelWorm

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:17:46 PM

Please...

If it was one vote out of 125, what harm would it do?
Nothing, as long as they were not the vote that made one side win. Because if they have the power to decide if a decision wins or fails then they have lots of power. The bigger parties will offer their "help" to some of the corporations proposal in exchange for some support here and there. It's the balance of power, and it should absolutely not be given to corporations.

They have some common interests like money. If the other ones proposals does not really affect the others sales or products the risk is that they will gang together.
reactive4ce

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:25:28 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while and wanted to know what everyone thought.

It's become clear in the last few decades that power is unequally distributed in our country, and so I have a solution to make things more democratic.  I think that Corporations are deserving of 'official' seats in congress and senate.  This representation would equal 1/5th of the new total - i.e., corporations would be given an extra 25 seats in the senate, bringing the total number of seats to 125.  I know that a lot of people think that five seats would be enough, but I think the corporations that have provided so much for us and are such an important part of our economy deserve equal treatment.  Perhaps one day the world will be ready for a full corporate integration, but I can't see that happening for at least 50 years.

In order to expand our economy, we need to give fairer representations to corporations, and end the pervasive sentism that is rotting away our society.

It looks like interesting idea because corporations could vote more free rules and less regulation, so they could employ more people.
JohnCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:40:56 PM

It looks like interesting idea because corporations could vote more free rules and less regulation, so they could employ more people.

Exactly!
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 04:45:14 PM

Lol, I hope you're trolling.
Haidang1796

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 08:07:53 PM

I think this idea is okay though, but i have't thought of its pros and cons

kaito

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 08:21:59 PM

Ah, I see. How clever! Appeasment! That's a revolutionary concept. Why hasn't anyone ever thought of that before?
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:22:03 PM

he's got to be trolling.. yeah, fix the situation by giving what causes the system to be shitty... more power.

are you going to make the mitt romney case too?

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:26:52 PM

sentism

This is the second time I've heard this term and I cannot seem to figure out what it's supposed to mean.  OP are you trolling for realsies?  Tongue

CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:30:40 PM

When did BTC Talk get overrun by statists?

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
hieroglyph

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:53:23 AM

I don't think any kind of legislation will do much good until the general public wakes up to the real problems.  I'd say spreading kowledge to the unaware masses is the best bet for change and equality from my point of view but that is just my 2 cents in the matter.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: