Bitcoin Forum
July 28, 2024, 06:28:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: R9 290 x4  (Read 901 times)
gmoney$ (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:57:58 PM

Hi All!

I just set up my first rig using four R9 290 (ASUS Brand).  I'm getting 3.5MH/s average doing scrypt mining. All is good. However my rig will not boot with out a monitor attached. The hard drive doesn't even start blinking so I don't believe it gets past POST.  If I plug in a monitor then it starts without issue. I'd really like to go headless though.  My MB is ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac.  I tried upgrading the bios, no luck. The only setting I found in the bios was "primary video" the choices are onboard/PCIe.  If I select onboard, then windows doesn't find the GPUs. If I select PCIe than it doesn't post without a display attached.  Dummy plugs won't work because the R9 doesn't have RGB out. I probably need a different MB. Any other suggestions?
hiverli

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:03:27 PM

i am sorry replaying and asking question but where did you get R9 290. all out of stock
gmoney$ (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:07:36 PM

I got them from NewEgg last week. I actually ordered 5 of them and one was bad. It wouldn't get past 500kH and it kept crashing my system. I'm going to RMA that one today.

Keep checking newegg they update stock regularly.
Suh

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 04:27:41 PM

You may be able to give this a try:

http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug

That will make your computer think a monitor is connected.

Join CFinex, buy some shares in the project and earn income!
https://cfinex.com/
gmoney$ (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:45:19 PM

Unfortunately a dummy plug won't work because these cards don't output an analog signal at all. They are DVI-D and a DVI/VGA adapter won't even plug into them.  I guess I have to go buy a cheap TV. Either that or a new MB.
jawa_miner

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:12:11 PM

Hi All!

I just set up my first rig using four R9 290 (ASUS Brand).  I'm getting 3.5MH/s average doing scrypt mining. All is good. However my rig will not boot with out a monitor attached. The hard drive doesn't even start blinking so I don't believe it gets past POST.  If I plug in a monitor then it starts without issue. I'd really like to go headless though.  My MB is ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac.  I tried upgrading the bios, no luck. The only setting I found in the bios was "primary video" the choices are onboard/PCIe.  If I select onboard, then windows doesn't find the GPUs. If I select PCIe than it doesn't post without a display attached.  Dummy plugs won't work because the R9 doesn't have RGB out. I probably need a different MB. Any other suggestions?

It looks like https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=382752.msg4113297#msg4113297 you have a maximus extreme vi setup?  I have the same motherboard that I'm considering RMA'ing b/c it won't detect all of the GPUs.  You find a solution that works for getting them all to run *in addition* to running without plugging in monitor?  I see you don't use dummy plugs.  I thought that might be my problem but if dummy plugs don't even work then I surely have to RMA/get another board.  Thanks for any help!

VicBond007

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:27:32 PM

Long shot, but even though your DVI ports are DVI-D, your DisplayPort port should be able to output VGA using a DP->VGA adapter like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158150
(First google result)

They're pricey but might be dummy moddable.  I wouldn't RMA your motherboard since it obviously DOES work with a real monitor attached and your boot display set to PCIe (this is correct even for headless operation).  If that doesn't work, I would consider selling your cards (R9 290's are tough to find so you'd probably get more money back selling than if you returned and paid a restocking fee) and buy ones with DVI-I ports that you can easily dummy-plug.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: