Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:08:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Valid private keys - is a SHA256 hash always valid as a private key?  (Read 1249 times)
zachcope (OP)

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:06:14 PM

Hi all
I'm working out ways to create multiple addresses from one private key - essentially so that one private key can be a 'canary' address but that several layers of salted and derived keys can be made from the one private key.

This will enable warning if the private key is found, as the 'canary' address will lose it bitcoins, alerting the owner of the coins that the larger address is potentially now insecure.

If I create a SHA256 digest from any string of characters, which may include an existing private key + more information, will the result be in a format that is a valid private key? Huh

Thanks in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:09:27 PM

This is from the wiki

Nearly every 256-bit number is a valid private key. Specifically, any 256-bit number between 0x1 and 0xFFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFE BAAE DCE6 AF48 A03B BFD2 5E8C D036 4141 is a valid private key.

So long as your key is bigger than 0x1(I would recommend at least >2^35 and < 0xFFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFE BAAE DCE6 AF48 A03B BFD2 5E8C D036 4141(you can consider this one and at least 2^35 bits below this to be taken by malicious programs).

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:47:35 PM

You can use a BIP32 wallet. It allows you to create several branches derived from a master key.

Frankly I just don't get these DIYers who try to concoct their own schemes for storing coins. Why bother? Do you really enjoy mucking about at such a low level? Best to outsource this job to a bitcoin client like electrum or armory.
zachcope (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:00:55 PM

You can use a BIP32 wallet. It allows you to create several branches derived from a master key.

Frankly I just don't get these DIYers who try to concoct their own schemes for storing coins. Why bother? Do you really enjoy mucking about at such a low level? Best to outsource this job to a bitcoin client like electrum or armory.

The whole ethos of open source and bitcoin is DIY.

There is no Nanny to look after your coins with bitcoin, so developing a further understanding of such 'low level' things is important for all bitcoiners at this stage.

Or should we call keep our keys on a webwallet instead?

I don't want a hierarchical deterministic wallet as if the master key is lost I still lose the wallet.

What I am aiming for is a 'Canary' address such that if someone finds / cracks the secret key it will be obvious as the address will be emptied.
This will then warn me to apply whatever processes I need to the secret key to reconstruct a 2nd secret key for a futher address that holds the bulk of the coins.
The base information and entropy for the 2nd address is based off the 1st secret key, which will need to be secured, so won't be susceptible to brute force attacks in the same way a brain wallet would. However the process of conversion of the 1st key to the 2nd key will be a brain based solution.

Can you see how that might be useful long term for securing keys?

Oh and yes, I do enjoy this kind of mucking about!

BTC Cheesy

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:24:07 PM

There is no Nanny to look after your coins with bitcoin, so developing a further understanding of such 'low level' things is important for all bitcoiners at this stage.

I don't want a hierarchical deterministic wallet as if the master key is lost I still lose the wallet.

What I am aiming for is a 'Canary' address such that if someone finds / cracks the secret key it will be obvious as the address will be emptied.
This will then warn me to apply whatever processes I need to the secret key to reconstruct a 2nd secret key for a futher address that holds the bulk of the coins.
The base information and entropy for the 2nd address is based off the 1st secret key, which will need to be secured, so won't be susceptible to brute force attacks in the same way a brain wallet would. However the process of conversion of the 1st key to the 2nd key will be a brain based solution.

BTC Cheesy

The last guy who tried to muck about when he had no clue:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=360183.msg3883662#new

zachcope (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 04:56:55 PM

BTC Cheesy

The last guy who tried to muck about when he had no clue:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=360183.msg3883662#new

Perhaps English is not your first language but you have a condescending tone that is quite irritating. I'm not quite sure why you are in the Technical Support forum if your main response to questions is 'don't mess with things you know nothing about'.
Knowledge is not 'all or nothing'. Learning more about how private keys work and experimenting with this (obviously using small test amounts of bitcoin, not one's whole stash) should be encouraged.

In bitcoin there is no lender of last resort if your coins are stolen.

xzempt

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:17:57 PM

other than day to day use.....   only keep 1 btc or less in an address....    id rather have 1,000 addresses with 1btc each instead of 2 addresses with 500 coins each....    Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: