Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:26:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 200,000 people apply to be first to live on Mars  (Read 7525 times)
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:11:33 PM

how dafauq would they get to it? Cheesy
Mt Olympus is like 20 000 m high Cheesy

Well, they should be able to jump higher on Mars (I think)...  Tongue
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:29:44 PM

So since this is a one way trip i wonder what kind of people apply anyway...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:36:22 PM

I'm sure I read something ages ago about them turning this into a reality TV show. Could be BS as I don't see how it's feasible.

Living on Mars, months away from any kind of emergency assistance, is about as real as it gets.   Wink

Just add an automated escape pod with room for only one person on Mars to see what would happen for the Live Martian TV show.... The launch card will be hidden on top of Mt Olympus... GO!

how dafauq would they get to it? Cheesy
Mt Olympus is like 20 000 m high Cheesy

Every time a "participant" would drop from Mt Olympus all the way down to his death, the Wilikon FlyCam© will follow him live... For 20 min! People on Earth would do the count down just like for new year's eve, for the last few feet. The participant will have plenty of time discussing his favorite classic lady gaga tracks and thanking his sponsors before impact.

Don't you feel the excitement already? It would be the ultimate reality TV show.
Kaligulax

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:44:05 AM

With more than 6.5 billion people living on Earth and that number increasing all the time, our planet is quickly becoming overcrowded. So it seems reasonable, notwithstanding the monstrous technical challenges it would present, that we might one day start to look beyond our planet for future housing solutions. But why would we consider Mars? True, it's relatively nearby, galactically speaking; we know a lot about it already; it at least used to be a bit more like us; and it even has two moons (Phobos and Deimos) to hit us in the eyes like big pizza pies -- but Mars? Who knows? Perhaps inhabiting the red planet might be a more realistic housing option than it might seem at first blush. Perhaps one day we'll have no choice but to pack up and leave the planet.

But let's not kid ourselves. Thus far, nothing's changed about Mars. It's still the same inhospitable, rocky, barren place it was yesterday, last week or a thousand years ago. It's quite cold, has a terribly thin atmosphere, has essentially no magnetic field and provides no oceans in which to jet-ski. If we do want to live on Mars, it's not exactly rolling out the welcome mat.

So, clearly, terraforming Mars would be an incredibly daunting task. In order to recreate the planet as a kind of second Earth, we would need to address its atmospheric shortcomings and warm its frozen surface. Scientists, ever on the task, have proposed a number of schemes to induce a Martian greenhouse effect, ranging from the use of oxygen factories to crashing an asteroid into one of its poles. The idea in either case being, of course, that in time the greenhouse effect would thicken the atmosphere and warm the planet, bringing it a little closer to the kind of habitable conditions present on the third rock from the sun. We'd also need to work out the most efficient homes to build; the best way to feed ourselves and a host of other questions. It also wouldn't hurt if we improved our space travel technology so we could shuttle between Earth and Mars a bit more easily during all of this terraforming work. Daunting, indeed.

1FxCUCAij9FT9fXQSqYHHMiaELhRTAhui6
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:30:40 AM

With more than 6.5 billion people living on Earth and that number increasing all the time, our planet is quickly becoming overcrowded.

It's really not becoming overcrowded at all. In the future we may struggle with food shortages, but that's a long way off.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 03:08:48 PM

With more than 6.5 billion people living on Earth and that number increasing all the time, our planet is quickly becoming overcrowded.

We've been over 7 billion people for about a year now.

So it seems reasonable, notwithstanding the monstrous technical challenges it would present, that we might one day start to look beyond our planet for future housing solutions.

We are not looking at colonizing other planets to reduce the population of earth - that is a logistical impossibility.  We colonize to ensure the continuance of our race.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
kuba84

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 10:33:31 AM

i will go..
but only if the other 3 are hot chicks...oh yeah ;>
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 10:34:15 AM

i will go..

You'd be screwed if they were married or had boyfriends though Tongue
u9y42
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 11:05:27 AM

i will go..

You'd be screwed if they were married or had boyfriends though Tongue

Why? Unless they would be on one of the next flights in, it's not like they would be seeing each other again.  Tongue
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:02:47 PM

It's a nice idea but I think we're quite a few years away from a manned mission to Mars. At least the first settlers will have the benefit of being able to send BTC home - unfortunately anything they buy would not be arriving with them any time soon....
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 05:38:20 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land

To each their own, I wish them well.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
infinitybo

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:59:27 AM

Earth is finite, outer space is not therefore it is in the humankind's best interest that we inhabit other planets and evolve according to those needs of newer planets.
AirFlame

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:59:44 PM

Lol and they will all die. It's like swimming on the ship more than half year You get crazy Cheesy
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:37:18 PM

Earth is finite, outer space is not therefore it is in the humankind's best interest that we inhabit other planets and evolve according to those needs of newer planets.

The most amazing thing is Evolution (the theory of) should work the same as it did here. 100 000 years from now, our children will adapt to those far away colonies and will not look like us because of those alien conditions.

I may not be a fan of Martian 3 breasted prostitutes in the future but I won't be there to judge anyway...  Smiley
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 09:52:40 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2013, 10:05:13 PM by TheButterZone

It won't even take that long. The first child to be born, and grow to maturity under a fraction of earth's gravity will exceed the height of those who matured on earth. See the character Nono on Planetes.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 09:20:17 AM

http://youtu.be/r4jf2F3YEAI

"Soon" the time it will take to go to Mars will be same amount of time Columbus's vessels used to take to cross oceans.
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:04:29 PM

While planet colonization is something that needs to happen this is a horrible option for anyone considering it.

I would rather not being locked in a little box, whether the box was on earth or another planet. I'm not willing to trust a company like this controlling my fate and the fate of all the other people in this mission.

I support their right to this choice. It is a horrible one however. So many things can go wrong. Running out of water, energy, food or oxygen due to an accident or technical failure. Being unable to land. Being unable to set up the colony. Screw this. A lot of technology needs significant improvement to do this safely.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 09:35:53 PM

While planet colonization is something that needs to happen this is a horrible option for anyone considering it.

I would rather not being locked in a little box, whether the box was on earth or another planet. I'm not willing to trust a company like this controlling my fate and the fate of all the other people in this mission.

I support their right to this choice. It is a horrible one however. So many things can go wrong. Running out of water, energy, food or oxygen due to an accident or technical failure. Being unable to land. Being unable to set up the colony. Screw this. A lot of technology needs significant improvement to do this safely.

You are underestimating the power of the Galactic Funeral Home Camarilla. This need to be done. And fast.
u9y42
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 02:05:30 PM

Seems like they have narrowed it down to 1058 candidates, out of the 200000 initial applicants: http://rt.com/news/mars-one-applicants-selected-039/Smiley
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfSiMjUDUig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvvOorH1q4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeV0PhzW9zM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7dhh9aR8OI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayHYPYwmHAM