Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:44:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Top Reasons Bitcoin Forum Pisses Me Off  (Read 722 times)
jaredfarnum (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 05:12:20 PM

One - Searching too quickly
http://screencast.com/t/DbS1XKB8lG

Seriously, why do they DISCOURAGE people from searching? Do you want a lot of duplicate posts? Makes no sense.

Two - 360 Seconds
http://screencast.com/t/aE82vZ18J

Evidently if you THINK faster than a snail, it's not okay,

BY THE WAY, this also is NOT TRUE. It can be many hours since my last post and I still get this message.

So I wait and click back and try again and get...

Three - Already Submitted
http://screencast.com/t/dJw8cnTHKy

What the heck? This eludes to say that the post has been posted, but IT DOES NOT SHOW UP!!!

PARTICIPATING IN CONVERSATION HERE IS PROVING TO BE A NIGHTMARE!

devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:14:38 PM

The limitations are in place to prevent spamming and such. Limitations get reduced when you move up in the ranks Smiley

eye1

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:16:21 PM

One - Searching too quickly
http://screencast.com/t/DbS1XKB8lG

Seriously, why do they DISCOURAGE people from searching? Do you want a lot of duplicate posts? Makes no sense.

Two - 360 Seconds

BY THE WAY, this also is NOT TRUE. It can be many hours since my last post and I still get this message.

So I wait and click back and try again and get...

Three - Already Submitted
http://screencast.com/t/dJw8cnTHKy

What the heck? This eludes to say that the post has been posted, but IT DOES NOT SHOW UP!!!

It doesn't even let me post my first post. Thats what pissses me off the most!!!
ferda2mx

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:16:48 PM

Patience is the key to success in life.

Searching abuse might slow server considerably.
Raptas

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:16:51 PM

I agree with the thirth one, the others are great against spambots, though.
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:17:12 PM

Just wait a while and then it you will almost not notice it at all.
newtothescene

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:20:11 PM

The best way to search this site is with Google:

[$question] site:bitcointalk.org

Replace [$question] with your search item and plug it into Google.  Reduces impact to the site host and allows you to search much, much better Smiley
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:20:30 PM

Loving it since 2011. Don't know what your problem is...

jaredfarnum (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 05:22:39 PM

The limitations are in place to prevent spamming and such. Limitations get reduced when you move up in the ranks Smiley

The limitations / restrictions are a bit too tight. And by a bit I mean "WAY TOO FREAKIN"

WillMilk4Coin

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:23:39 PM

Two - 360 Seconds

Just in regard to this point; be aware that signing in also applies to this 360 second wait - Sign in > Wait 6 minutes > Then post
I think it may only apply to n00bs ..but uncertain.

Just be patient and play by the rules. They become much less annoying and intrusive after a little time is spent here.

Replace [$question] with your search item and plug it into Google.  Reduces impact to the site host and allows you to search much, much better Smiley
^^^Excellent tip!
meech73

Activity: 46

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:32:55 PM

Not enough people know about this or how to do it. Thanks for reminding people about this!
mearylll

Activity: 315

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:41:21 PM

Not enough people know about this or how to do it. Thanks for reminding people about this!

Click the magnifying glass at the left of the search area and on next page choose Google search
jaredfarnum (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 05:46:16 PM

GOOGLE is not the answer to all searches. Let's take a real life case scenario from today.

User (me) notices that a popular website is not functioning. After several attempts of getting an error, the user decides to go to Bitcointalk.org to see if others are having the same issue.

First I go to Bitcointalk.org and Search for posts, I start by typing in "coinex" but do not see any results,  so I try searching for "coinex.pw" instead. BUT WAIT, that is now allowed!

Your google answer does not work in this case as Google results have a longer delay than needed in this case.

So after waiting to search again and NOT seeing a result (at the time), I figure Ok, I will start a post. BUT NO. IT WHILE IT APPEARS IT MAY OF WORKED, (see Already Submitted) THE POST DOES NOT SHOW UP.

So instead I get to post the question here in the newbie forum. Where all of the newbies are essentially isolated and forced to be discluded from participating in conversation and discouraged from posting meaningful posts.

It appears I have NO choice but to complain and post worthless posts until I reach some unknown level.

WillMilk4Coin

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:53:38 PM

It appears I have NO choice but to complain and post worthless posts until I reach some unknown level.

Yep, and it's not unknown:

You can only post in the Newbie and Local sub-forums till you have made one post and waited 4 hours. This post must be substantial: at least several sentences. The other two restrictions are you need 1 post to be able to send a PM and 10 posts to put a link in your sig.  You can only post once every 360 seconds to start and there are a few other things that trigger this timer such as logging in and searching.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0
kanus1113

Activity: 452

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:56:21 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2016, 06:10:10 PM by kanus1113

Lol indeed.

This forum is like Fort Knox.
XBBlade

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:57:12 PM

My limitations are gone. It's a good structure dude! Less spam!
miners78

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:01:34 PM

I agree that it can get annoying, but when the time limits are reduced, using the site become a lot more enjoyable.
epivitoras1

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:01:46 PM

i totally agree but i think that some limitation will be gone as you post more and more and you get ranked up
jaredfarnum (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 06:04:47 PM

Yep, and it's not unknown:

You can only post in the Newbie and Local sub-forums till you have made one post and waited 4 hours. This post must be substantial: at least several sentences. The other two restrictions are you need 1 post to be able to send a PM and 10 posts to put a link in your sig.  You can only post once every 360 seconds to start and there are a few other things that trigger this timer such as logging in and searching.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0

UMM That quote does NOT answer the issues I was posting.

Let's examine some logic.
You can only post in the Newbie and Local sub-forums till you have made one post and waited 4 hours.

I fulfilled that after my first post! This should no longer be the reason for the issues.

The other two restrictions are you need 1 post to be able to send a PM and 10 posts to put a link in your sig.

10 posts to put a link in sig does NOT address the issues I posted.

You can only post once every 360 seconds to start and there are a few other things that trigger this timer such as logging in and searching.

This only partially answers the issues. I will soon be at 10 posts, and we will see what issues there are after that.

WillMilk4Coin

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:43:24 PM

You can only post in the Newbie and Local sub-forums till you have made one post and waited 4 hours.
I fulfilled that after my first post! This should no longer be the reason for the issues.
You fulfilled the 4 hour wait time after your first post? Maybe you did, but both are requirements before any newbie restrictions begin to be lifted - my point being is it isn't just some "unknown level."

The other two restrictions are you need 1 post to be able to send a PM and 10 posts to put a link in your sig.
10 posts to put a link in sig does NOT address the issues I posted.
Nor was it meant to. I grabbed a block of text from the given reference, but didn't exclude the irrelevant portion. I thought you may be capable of deciphering important bits of information for yourself and disregarding the rest. Maybe someone else is up for selectively spoon-feeding answers.

You can only post once every 360 seconds to start and there are a few other things that trigger this timer such as logging in and searching.
This only partially answers the issues. I will soon be at 10 posts, and we will see what issues there are after that.
As far as I can tell, it answers 2 of your 3 issues. Not saying it changes them, but that's the way it is.

Not sure what is causing your last issue - but hopefully it doesn't continue any longer. Enjoy the forum outside of newbie jail.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: