Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:58:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2013-12-11] Bitrated: You Can No Longer Say Bitcoin Has No Consumer Protection  (Read 1050 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 05:16:46 PM

Bitrated: You Can No Longer Say Bitcoin Has No Consumer Protection

One of the commonly cited problems that many people see with Bitcoin as a payment method is the fact that all transactions are final and irreversible. With credit cards, if you buy something but never receive the product, you can issue a chargeback to recover your funds potentially weeks after the transaction. With Bitcoin, on the other hand, no such option exists. Of course, in many cases the lack of chargebacks in Bitcoin is actualy an advantage...

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/8834/bitrated-you-can-no-longer-say-bitcoin-has-no-consumer-protection/

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 06:00:08 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2013, 08:28:13 PM by Lethn

Wow that's actually a nice article and it seems like a cool way to maybe earn money and a reputation too, maybe I'll try that.

Edit: After coming back I just realised that this is not a new service wtf? Tongue lol
shesek

Activity: 27
Merit: 4

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 06:13:00 PM

Edit: After coming back I just realised that this is not a new service wtf? Tongue lol

Its actually quite new - it was released about a week ago.
hieroglyph

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 06:24:50 PM

More good news, can't go wrong with that.  May have to look into this futher as I'm always open to making a little coin.  Thanks for the post and links.

e521

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 06:30:56 PM

The idea is good but it is still based on trust to unknown 3rd party.
How do you know the buyer is not conspiring with the arbitrator, wait for the delivery and subsequently leave with the BTCs?
Even if they implement a feedback system it will require trust.

1. Suppose that Alice wants to send money to Bob through escrow. To start off, Alice goes to the Bitrated website and goes to “Browse arbitrators”. She then selects an escrow agent (say, Trent) and clicks “Start transaction”.
Finally, Trent himself has no opportunity to run away with the funds. In theory, Trent can conspire with Alice to split the funds fifty-fifty and leave Bob with nothing, but such a situation would require two of the three parties involved to be dishonest, rather than only one.

TheRandomGuy

Activity: 162

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 06:49:46 PM

How do you know the buyer is not conspiring with the arbitrator, wait for the delivery and subsequently leave with the BTCs?

1. Suppose that Alice wants to send money to Bob through escrow. To start off, Alice goes to the Bitrated website and goes to “Browse arbitrators”. She then selects an escrow agent (say, Trent) and clicks “Start transaction”.
Finally, Trent himself has no opportunity to run away with the funds. In theory, Trent can conspire with Alice to split the funds fifty-fifty and leave Bob with nothing, but such a situation would require two of the three parties involved to be dishonest, rather than only one.

Yeah. That's what I'm worrying about.

BTC: 1wbGAAabrsu8pjVXWUQvjUUhe18e721K2
FAUCET ROTATOR SCRIPT
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 08:02:24 PM

In all cases where there is no dispute Trent is not involved at all. As a result, nearly all transactions will have no fee. ... fees are charged only when the escrow agent is actually brought in

That is a really, really nice feature.

Hopefully no-cost-unless-there-is-a-dispute will lead to escrow becoming more commonplace.

And hopefully it will lead to more thorough escrow adjudication.  I might be willing to set an escrow fee as high as 5% if I knew it would only be incurred in case of a dispute.  At that level the fee can pay for quite a considerable amount of effort from the escrow agent, if necessary.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
shesek

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:07:10 AM

In all cases where there is no dispute Trent is not involved at all. As a result, nearly all transactions will have no fee. ... fees are charged only when the escrow agent is actually brought in

That is a really, really nice feature.

Hopefully no-cost-unless-there-is-a-dispute will lead to escrow becoming more commonplace.

And hopefully it will lead to more thorough escrow adjudication.  I might be willing to set an escrow fee as high as 5% if I knew it would only be incurred in case of a dispute.  At that level the fee can pay for quite a considerable amount of effort from the escrow agent, if necessary.

This really depends on the market, Bitrated doesn't enforce any specific fees or payments. There are two possible models that I anticipate:

• Low fees (probably 0.5%-1.5%) for all transactions
  • Higher fees (probably 3%-7%) for disputed transactions
  • (or a combination of the two)

I personally think that paying for disputed transactions only makes more sense and will end up cheaper in the long run, but I think most people would be more comfortable paying small fees for all transactions than higher fees once in a while and would look at it kinda like insurance. Also, this would provide a more steady and predictable income to arbitrators.

As I said, Bitrated doesn't intervene at all with that; the market will decide on his own.

(I'm the developer behind Bitrated)
e521

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:28:50 AM

shesek, do you agree/disagree?

I think arbitrators should put down an amount of BTC and be limited to escrow for that amount.
Not sure this is the best solution tho

What do you think?

shesek

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:34:49 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2013, 02:15:11 AM by shesek

This is a risk, but one that can be extremely small if you're using reputable, high-rated, reliable and trustworthy arbitrators that care about their reputation. Its still pretty early, but I'm hoping that the more well-known arbitrators would build a reputation that could allow people to trust them and know they won't do anything fishy.

shesek, do you agree/disagree?

I think arbitrators should put down an amount of BTC and be limited to escrow for that amount.
Not sure this is the best solution tho

What do you think?

We're planning to add a sort of fidelity bond in the form of verified accounts, but I think that reputation would do a much better job at ensuring the arbitrators are reliable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: