Bitcoin Forum
July 20, 2024, 06:14:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Gridcoin" - A viable idea?  (Read 942 times)
lowkey1979 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:16:25 PM

Hi all,

I was chatting with a friend today about the wonderful world of cryptocurrencies, when I had an idea (ouch, painful!). I'm hoping some people who are a bit more knowledgeable about how mining works at the code level could answer this or not. I've been too busy with exams and study to play around with any source or do the required reading to answer this myself, so if someone could save me some time with a good response, maybe point me at some good resources, I'd be eternally obliged! It's a very rough idea, with all of about 20 minutes slightly drunken conversation as the only current research done.

My idea was to create - let's call it "Gridcoin" or GRD. It'd be mined, uses scrypt to be nice to normal peeps, capped at some maximum number of coins, yada yada, no big surprises there. But would it be possible to, in addition to the processing required for the proof-of-work, process something else, say bruteforcing a password hash or rendering video, folding proteins etc; ie Could you use it as the basis of a grid computing network? More or less merge BTC and Hadoop? I know projects like Folding@Home use some sort of proof of work already, does anyone happen to know how that works and if it'd be viable to combine with the BTC-esque PoW?

Anyway to continue, miners would be both verifying transactions AND providing cycles for some other task. The miners would sell the GRD to users wishing to farm out heavy processing tasks (so long as they are effectively parallelisable of course),  and the users "spend" the GRD back into the network to receive X number of processing cycles, and the miners get the spent coins back as transaction fee's. Maybe have the blockchain also include records as to mining node availability to allow work to be farmed out across all the available threads in the pool and allow the work to be allocated, kinda like NMC's distributed hash table, something along those lines anyway. Naturally the coins could still be used the same way as any other cryptocurrency, traded on exchanges etc, so it could also help to encourage uptake of cryptocurrencies by big institutions, make em buy BTC or LTC or whatever so they can trade that for GRD. Considering how much processing power the collective BTC mining effort has, imagine harnessing that and using it for other tasks too!

If you could provide an easy to use API or even just a socket to pass data through from other applications, something like this could do some awesome things I think. I'm not sure though, could you safely tone down the processing power required for mining so as to allow more resources for the work to be done? How badly would that impact the network security, transaction speed and the like? Any thoughts, idea's, other impacting factors I should be aware of? And also what other sorts of tasks could be rolled into mining (apart from an NMC style distributed hash table) eg could you created a distributed file system as well? (Actually yeah, that'd be pretty easy I'd imagine, just another distributed hash lime NMC, maybe someone could create another coin for that, any possible issues there?) I was also thinking about maybe allowing the number of GRD coins available to be increased based on peak net processing power, so that the supply is more or less pegged to improvements in processor tech rather than necessarily a fixed supply dependent only on mining rate as that could eventually lead to massively valued GRD. Any comments, thoughts or suggestions around that side of things would help too. I'm a third year software dev student and I'd be prepared to start working on GRD myself as a summer project if it's possible and people would be interested in something like this. Would be a good learning experience for me I think Smiley.

Thanks in advance guys, let me know what you think! If it sucks, let me know and I'll go crawl under my rock again........

Edit: Some spelling
Swift42

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:35:53 PM

Take a look at these coins:
http://gridcoin.us (already published)
http://curecoin.us (currently in development)
aysyr

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:51:00 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2013, 08:40:48 PM by aysyr

Yea, Gridcoin exists but does something along the lines of what you were hoping to do. Maybe you can contact the dev and work out some ideas with him? I know he's bogged down since he's the lone dev for Gridcoin and also has a full time job on top of that.

contact@gridcoin.us is his email, his username here is Gridcoin and his username on Cryptocointalk is Gridcoin as well.

Trade at C-Cex, my favorite exchange!          Aysyr Reputation Thread
lowkey1979 (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 07:25:56 PM

Wow.....Thus proving that there's nothing new under the sun! Grin

Still, if someone else is working on it, might well be viable then! Awesome work, ty very much!
aysyr

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:10:11 PM

Haha yea, I'm hoping it actually takes off and ends up doing a lot of helpful research. Then I'll feel good mining coins Smiley

Anyways like I said, feel free to contact the dev if you want to see if you can contribute, I'm sure he could use some help if you're able to code!

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:33:45 AM

Gridcoin although a good idea looks to me quite a failure because its extremely easy not to use boinc and still get coins by misleading that you are using it..

Curecoin looks a lot better although i think more centralized. But i have expectations that it will actually be good.
A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:51:17 AM

Gridcoin although a good idea looks to me quite a failure because its extremely easy not to use boinc and still get coins by misleading that you are using it..

Please explain in detail how one could do this.  I bet you cannot.  This is a lie perpetrated by other coin devs and trolls.
aysyr

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:58:34 AM

Please explain in detail how one could do this.  I bet you cannot.  This is a lie perpetrated by other coin devs and trolls.

Let me add that there are measures in place to prevent hacking the BOINC utilization reading. I'm not saying it's impossible, but all I've been seeing is talk telling people it's easy to hack yet no one has proof that they've done so.

When the time comes that someone does, I'll admit I supported a coin that was easily taken advantage of, but until then in my eyes, the Gridcoin's BOINC link is perfectly secure.

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 01:13:22 AM

Ok. I will admit that i dont know many things about programming.

I tell you again i love the idea. I really do and i tried to mine some gridcoins.

But i think i remember somewhere someone saying that you can easily make boinc thinking that it is using all your power while it isnt. And he wasnt the only one.

Now as i said again i am not an expert but  unfortunately i am inclined to believe, maybe other coin devs and trolls persuaded me, that its extremely easy to be done.

Now really make me believe the opposite and i will help with all my power the coin cause i believe in computers actually making work than just heat.

Asyr please send me a link to read about those measures.
aysyr

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:24:45 AM

Although the info is somewhat scattered through the thread, the first main post that pretty much sums it up is here

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1331-new-coin-launch-announcement-grc-gridcoin/?view=findpost&p=10532

COINPRADER

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:05:49 PM

Well, its been a month now since the last post on this thread.  I still see no signs or even rumors of anyone hacking BOINC to spoof Gridcoin.  The coin is running solid and the dev team keeps making it better with each new release! Difficulty is climbing fast - if you want to get in on this coin - get some science going with BOINC and start mining this coin!
For info on how:  https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1589-how-to-mine-gridcoin/

Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 01:36:19 PM

Looks like it is viable! Smiley 500 mil credits on Boinc so far!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: