Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:27:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GreenGold - a modest proposal for miners with guaranteed returns!  (Read 3323 times)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:52:09 PM

That's a brilliant setup for you! I have to admit I'm jealous.

I actually just posted a thread in 'services' seeing if anyone wants to cut their electric bill by 60% to run their rig at my place  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
buttcoin

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 10:52:50 PM

That's GOLD Jerry, GOLD!

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:03:53 PM

What are these "ladies" you speak of?  And what is this "sun light"?

rofl...

**Be careful alternate unsafe "mining" operations could cost you 18+ years of expenses ... Bitcoin mining is way more profitable lol

I emit my own photons  Grin  And I bask in their glory.
KeyserSoze

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:18:11 PM

Not only that, but I don't see how you 'earn' anything by not spending money on electricity.  That's like saying I 'earned" $5 today cause I haven't bought my pack of cigs yet.
Edit:  Smoking and mining are equally addicting.
Edit 2:  Value of Bitcoins generated will always be > 'greengold' earnings unless you're a moron.

This probably isn't the only thing you and Ben Franklin don't agree on...
"A penny saved is a penny earned"

Perhaps this is why you don't see how not spending is the same as earning:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15561450

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:21:40 PM

a penny saved isnt a penny earned, a penny saved is a penny saved.. getting a good deal vs a bad deal, i'm still spending money :p

ZOMG Moo!
JeffK (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:24:18 PM

not to mention, mining bitcoins doesn't require you being at your computer. There is nothing keeping me from going outside anyway... SO in that case, I can make profit AND go outside :p

I was under the impression that Bitcoin mining also required sitting at a computer with a browser trying to pump-and-dump by promoting Bitcoin across the internet, and/or dedicating 6+ hours a day to scheming in the Project Development subforum on how to capitalize on the influx of new users that have yet to come, so that bitcoin mining retains profitability and Bitcoins retain value. My mistake, I am not separating the casual miners from the forum 'businessmen' and theorycrafters (although I'm sure their is an overlap)

a penny saved isnt a penny earned, a penny saved is a penny saved.. getting a good deal vs a bad deal, i'm still spending money :p

It is if whatever you are mining for is highly volatile and not a guaranteed return on your investment,
Anonymous

August 12, 2011, 11:32:35 PM

Will GreenGold have a booth at BitCon?
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:39:42 PM

Not only that, but I don't see how you 'earn' anything by not spending money on electricity.  That's like saying I 'earned" $5 today cause I haven't bought my pack of cigs yet.
Edit:  Smoking and mining are equally addicting.
Edit 2:  Value of Bitcoins generated will always be > 'greengold' earnings unless you're a moron.

This probably isn't the only thing you and Ben Franklin don't agree on...
"A penny saved is a penny earned"

Perhaps this is why you don't see how not spending is the same as earning:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15561450

A penny saved is not a penny earned....a penny saved is a penny saved, and a penny earned is a penny earned.

I don't really care about the IQ thing.  I could throw my stanford binet score into the discussion and you wouldn't care either, so it's moot.  Besides, it's a fallacy to apply the results of that study to my individual circumstance.  So...perhaps not?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 02:36:43 AM

Yea isnt this like trying to start a 'fitness' thread on a 'croche' forum?

Thanks a lot, Oldminer! Now I can't get this image out of my head of a crocheted bikini bearing the Bitcoin logo:

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 02:50:42 AM

How does that work?

I rent out a room in a house (3-4 other people do the same....I say 3-4 cause one just moved out and one will be moving in).  Landlord pays all utilities.   My assumption is the house is already paid off and he's totally banking on renting out the place, so the utility factor doesn't matter.

Do you realize how many places there are for rent in the US with all the utilities included? At first glance, the rent may seem a tad high, but if you factor in free electric to run a large rig, WOW!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/search/hhh?query=%22electric+included%22&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=&bedrooms=

http://chicago.craigslist.org/search/hhh?query=%22electric+included%22&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=&bedrooms=
dime

Activity: 88

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 02:52:20 AM

How does that work?

I rent out a room in a house (3-4 other people do the same....I say 3-4 cause one just moved out and one will be moving in).  Landlord pays all utilities.   My assumption is the house is already paid off and he's totally banking on renting out the place, so the utility factor doesn't matter.

Then you don't get free utilities. Your cost of electricity is factored into your rent. You're either:
1. getting a sneaky discount from your landlord by turning $x of his utility bill into y btcs.
2. stealing from your roommates (as your landlord will factor in average utility into next year's rent payments and 3-4 other people will be paying a slightly higher rent for your usage).

Either way, it can't be both sustainable and honest. There's a limit to how much you can mine before your landlord realizes there's something fishy going on. Or your roommates.

I can go out and try the same thing. I can go rent an efficiency for $400 with "free" utilities. But will I be able to mine $400 worth of utilities? Fuck no.

This only works for you because your mining operation is low level enough to be able to hide among your roommates and not attract attention while you already pay to live there.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 02:55:55 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2011, 03:07:00 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

How does that work?

Then you don't get free utilities. Your cost of electricity is factored into your rent. You're either:
1. getting a sneaky discount from your landlord by turning $x of his utility bill into y btcs.
2. stealing from your roommates (as your landlord will factor in average utility into next year's rent payments and 3-4 other people will be paying a slightly higher rent for your usage).

Either way, it can't be both sustainable and honest. There's a limit to how much you can mine before your landlord realizes there's something fishy going on. Or your roommates.

I can go out and try the same thing. I can go rent an efficiency for $400 with "free" utilities. But will I be able to mine $400 worth of utilities? Fuck no.

This only works for you because your mining operation is low level enough to be able to hide among your roommates and not attract attention while you already pay to live there.

Then you move the following year. Where there's a rig, there's a way.

...and free electric? @ Tom's TV Park

flyswatta

Activity: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:24:41 AM

Haha, I bet it's cheaper to rent an RV with free electric than to run a mining operation out of the house.  Wink  Redneck Data Center, here I come!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 04:07:10 AM

Haha, I bet it's cheaper to rent an RV with free electric than to run a mining operation out of the house.  Wink  Redneck Data Center, here I come!

You work fast, flyswatta! From idea conception to fruition at hash speed:

Redneck Data Center

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:18:13 AM

Thank you JeffK for proving yourself to be a troll each and every day!  Grin
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:46:44 AM

How does that work?

Lol factored into my $475/mo rent?  Have you even checked out how nice downtown Naperville, IL is?

Edit:  To give you an idea, the BP national headquarters is 1.5 miles from my house.
flyswatta

Activity: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 12:22:25 PM

You work fast, flyswatta! From idea conception to fruition at hash speed:

Redneck Data Center

Nice - I especially like the amenities: fishing pond, storage facility, tiled seating area and a security light Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 01:51:01 PM

How does that work?

Lol factored into my $475/mo rent?  Have you even checked out how nice downtown Naperville, IL is?

Edit:  To give you an idea, the BP national headquarters is 1.5 miles from my house.

Once a month, I shop at the Country Fresh Market. I'm about 30 miles due west. Hints: The town is named after something you eat & A Fair City!
indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 02:40:57 PM

Once a month, I shop at the Country Fresh Market. I'm about 30 miles due west. Hints: The town is named after something you eat & A Fair City!

Is that the place on East Church St by the animal hospital?...idk...just taking a stab in the dark.  Smiley

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 03:06:56 AM

Is that the place on East Church St by the animal hospital?...idk...just taking a stab in the dark.  Smiley

Did you opt to use the animal hospital as your guess because my real name is Bruno? I'm two blocks from the Fairgrounds and I don't drive a red F250 with a big dent in the bed (driver's side).
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: