Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:36:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-12-11 Entrepreneur:Wall Street Will Put 'Hundreds of Millions' Into Bitcoin  (Read 4820 times)
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:22:48 PM

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/230346

Why do I love articles like these so much?

Bullish news, yes?   Grin

"We're three to six months away from Wall Street dollars moving into Bitcoin in a big way," he says.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:25:24 PM

at this point, hundreds of millions isn't even that much, but it could have a huge impact.. at least on speculation.
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:26:39 PM

at this point, hundreds of millions isn't even that much, but it could have a huge impact.. at least on speculation.

hundreds of millions leads to billions.  Grin

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:28:14 PM

actually, at this point, if we had $999 million dollars pumped into BTC, it would probably have a pretty sizeable impact on bitcoins.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:53:41 PM

Although right now Silbert is happy to see Bitcoin performing above his expectations, in the near term "the price volatility is only going to get worse," he says. "We haven't seen anything yet."

He added, "Once Wall Street starts putting money into Bitcoin -- we're talking about hundreds of millions, billions of dollars moving in -- it's going to have a pretty dramatic effect on the price."

buckle up ... the rodeo is coming to town.

BitChick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:05:05 PM

Although right now Silbert is happy to see Bitcoin performing above his expectations, in the near term "the price volatility is only going to get worse," he says. "We haven't seen anything yet."

He added, "Once Wall Street starts putting money into Bitcoin -- we're talking about hundreds of millions, billions of dollars moving in -- it's going to have a pretty dramatic effect on the price."

buckle up ... the rodeo is coming to town.

I am not entirely convinced volatility will be worse.  The past two crashes did not fall as far as the 2011 crash.  Of course there will be some ups and downs.  I am excited to see what happens next year regardless of the bumps in the road! Grin

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:26:10 PM

The article says:
Speaking on Tuesday night at a private dinner for Bitcoin cognoscenti in New York, Silbert said he was astonished by the BIT's performance. "We launched six weeks ago and we're up to $70 million. That blows my mind. We were hoping to get to $10 million by the end of the year."

I presume it should say $100 million? So $30 million more in 3 weeks?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 11:26:55 PM

hundreds of millions is still small compared to wall street. so this has to be just the first wave if inverstors.

----

@ cr1776

i think so. he meant 100 mio.

maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:47:31 AM

It's all to play for

Seriously, it's a no brainer that wall street is gonna come in soon, expect a deep deriv market to evolve as they do

Robert Lewandowski

Activity: 420

Bayern

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:51:14 AM

It's all to play for

Seriously, it's a no brainer that wall street is gonna come in soon, expect a deep deriv market to evolve as they do

What do you mean by deep deriv?
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:31:38 PM

It's all to play for

That means wall street will spearhead pump-and-dump schemes and scams that will make Pirate and other notorious Bitcoin criminals look like saints in comparison.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:51:05 PM

It's all to play for

Derivatives markets.  Futures, calls, puts, etc.  Options

Bitcoinica 2.0 corporate style.

How long till the winklevoss twin's ETF is up & running, so I can get my 401k involved?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
minime

Activity: 588

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:59:07 PM

if advancement of bitcoin is desired it is the only way...
one day bitcoin will be seen as a driver for the computer industry...
just my 2 cents
StarfishPrime

Activity: 358

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:19:46 PM

How long till the winklevoss twin's ETF is up & running, so I can get my 401k involved?

Fidelity has just begun offering IRA investment in Second Market's fund (as of today).

Word on the street is that JP Morgan already has plans to package 'sub-prime' red/black-listed bitcoins into lucractive derivatives.  Smiley

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 02:21:41 PM

Hundreds of millions of dollars of liquidity pumped into the main exchanges would have a huge impact on price. Don't forget the price at exchanges is *only* the price of people buying and selling bitcoins. A tiny proportion of the 12M bitcoins in circulation.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 02:36:35 PM

Hundreds of millions of dollars of liquidity pumped into the main exchanges would have a huge impact on price. Don't forget the price at exchanges is *only* the price of people buying and selling bitcoins. A tiny proportion of the 12M bitcoins in circulation.

Exactly.  Prices are set at the margin. 

At about 3600 new bitcoins per day (6*24 * 25) at ~$1000 per bitcoin that is $3.6 million of new supply per day IF all miners sell it all (unlikely in the extreme).  At hundreds of millions that is all of the supply for maybe 3 months, even spread out over a full year, that is a huge percentage of any new supply.  This is  assuming the price doesn't change which is also very unlikely.

If this is ends up being accurate, it will be big news.
diedicar

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 02:39:25 PM

It's all to play for

That means wall street will spearhead pump-and-dump schemes and scams that will make Pirate and other notorious Bitcoin criminals look like saints in comparison.

LOL i couldn't agree more.
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:40:02 PM

It's all to play for

LOL i couldn't agree more.

We should already be getting used to it by now anyways. Wink 

I suppose the price will definitely be manilpulated, but what will the price be?  Will it be manipulated from $10,000 down to $8,000 or $100,000 to $75,000?  I think those of us that have invested now won't really care too much then.

miken123

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:46:16 PM

I suppose the price will definitely be manilpulated, but what will the price be?  Will it be manipulated from $10,000 down to $8,000 or $100,000 to $75,000?  I think those of us that have invested now won't really care too much then.

Unless they manipulate it to $100.. or $10... or $1
miken123

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:50:02 PM

Wall street has the smartest people on earth working at those companies.  I know it's hard to believe given how stupid they have behaved at times.. but they hire the absolute top from places like MIT and Harvard.

It's hard to think that we could even imagine the schemes they might cook up (good or bad schemes I guess).

But overall speaking I'm betting it's a good thing ($/BTC -wise) the more wall street gets involved.
And like another said above, it's necessary for BTC to advance for it to get widespread and common-place investment options.
Let's face it - not that many average Joes are going to be interested in holding a chunk of their investment in some online thing called a wallet or some 'paper money' thing that they have to encrypt and store offline for max security..
They'll prefer someone else to worry about all that and just offer them an insured investment option (i.e. if you buy the Bitcoin fund from the Winkelvosses and they get hacked for a few BTC, their investors can feel secure... they can sue them if they want even, etc. etc. etc.  May not totally safe but they'll feel safer doing it that way).

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: