Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 10:41:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-12-11 Entrepreneur:Wall Street Will Put 'Hundreds of Millions' Into Bitcoin  (Read 4826 times)
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:15:55 AM

Early adopters hold astronomical amount of bitcoins relative to the current supply and ultimate end supply of 21million. This large holding can make them essentially the market manipulators, forget wall street. This is going to be some real food for thought for wall street to enter/become part of a market that THEY can't be the manipulators of...

Your theory falls flat on its face when we get massive declines. If they were so interested in "manipulating" prices, why couldn't they keep it from falling?

Its a ridiculous theory I keep seeing again and again on this forum. Its an Urban Legend that will never die, apparently.

Manipulation can just mean "increasing volatility" - that's how you make money from trading, high volatility.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:19:57 PM

Manipulation can just mean "increasing volatility" - that's how you make money from trading, high volatility.

That also comes at a cost, which is never accounted for in these "Manipulation" theories. And volatility is high enough due to the limited nature of the order book depths found at the typical exchange. I don't buy this theory, at all.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 03:05:46 AM

That also comes at a cost, which is never accounted for in these "Manipulation" theories. And volatility is high enough due to the limited nature of the order book depths found at the typical exchange. I don't buy this theory, at all.

What cost is that?

You don't believe "whales" people manipulate markets?
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:32:58 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2013, 09:44:16 PM by TraderTimm

What cost is that?

You don't believe "whales" people manipulate markets?

The cost of trading. No exchange is zero-fee frictionless, there is order slippage and bid/ask spreads to consider.

Sure, large orders can temporarily halt an advance or pause a plunge, but the overall nature of the market doesn't change. Many people have been made poor by thinking they can take on the entire orderbook, even a smaller one like most Bitcoin exchanges.

People making up their "whale" theories about how everything is manipulated is much like the same desire to "believe" in a diety, its a mental mirage that helps them frame the chaotic nature of the world in a way that seems easier to relate to.

I don't suffer from this, because I see the market for what it is, big players and small. It is also why I know when to buy and when to sell, because my market theories aren't based on populist rumors or myths, but codified and objective observations on how markets work.

I don't mind that other people subscribe to the "whale" theory, it makes my trading just that much easier.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: