Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 07:30:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I just bought my first Bitcoins? Experiences?  (Read 1045 times)
matriculator (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:37:19 PM

What was your first time like? I used coinbase(4 days waiting period  Sad ), for anyone who used coinbase their first time or mainly uses coinbase to buy bitcoins, how do you find their service?
tampazeus

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Lick me like a lolipop

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:40:45 PM

What was your first time like? I used coinbase(4 days waiting period  Sad ), for anyone who used coinbase their first time or mainly uses coinbase to buy bitcoins, how do you find their service?

I dont like you are limited with the number of Bitcoins you can buy
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:48:10 PM

I just bought my first Bitcoins?
Are you asking us this? How are we supposed to know that?  Cheesy

probeer

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:49:17 PM

I bought 7BTC in 2010? for €50, totally forgot them till 2 weeks ago, and got very happy Smiley

Currenty trading at BTC-E with a total of 10,532BTC, and transferred about 0,5BTC to cryptsy to buy some altcoins (COL, MEC, WDC, DVC, SEX, and NET). Made sell orders for x10 the worth for the cryptsy coins (in case anyone decides to pump one, and because i don't like daytrading @ cryptsy).

ATM all in on LTC @ BTC-E @ $29.2

I am happy with BTC-E, and think i am seeing the patterns of when to buy, sell and rebuy again.

No experience with coinbase though ..
miners78

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:06:28 PM

I use BTCE, and I have seen a lot of people complaining about them recently. Personally I have had no problem with them. Coinbase I have never used.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:11:22 PM

First time was off coinchat, purchased quite a bit off a few people, for about $80 USD a peice.
Those were the good ol' days...
oyeTorry

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:12:09 PM

I used localbitcoins instead, very happy, the transaction was quick. You have to use reputable seller though, probably hader than just buy from coinbase

glcbitcoin

Activity: 9

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 11:20:03 PM

I have bought my Bitcoins on Coinbase.  Today I caught an article about the BTC-e founders contacting Coindesk and they won't reveal their true identity.  That's a little sinister, don't ya think?
MikeSpun

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:58:01 PM

It all depends on how you can pay and how long you're willing to wait, in the long term you definitely need accounts on all the major exchanges (MtGox, BTCE, Bitstamp, etc), but you could try your luck with Localbitcoins or OTC marketplaces, if you're in a rush.
tondaS

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:01:27 AM

for anyone who used coinbase their first time or mainly uses coinbase to buy bitcoins, how do you find their service?

Coinbase works well for my monthly Bitcoin purchases with some spare money
grux

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:04:05 AM

Sharing my first experience selling, not buying (but that's just as good!)
Two mom's found me on localbitcoins, we were going to meet at starbucks but it was closed. Went next door, ate pizza, discussed the tech of bitcoin, and traded a few bitcoins for cash!
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:17:37 AM

Coinbase flagged me as a risk twice, but luckily the price dropped before I bought the third time (~100).

Michael Robinson

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:21:10 AM

My first Bitcoin experience was with Coinbase, and I got burned hard!  Disclaimer: *But not necessarily Coinbase's fault*

I decided to buy several Bitcoins last week on Coinbase.  After several days of waiting to get verified, putting my order in then waiting for the withdrawal, my money was taken out of my account literally HOURS before the China announcement hit.  Since I saw the China report 1 minute after it was released, I logged onto Coinbase to sell my coins really quick, because I knew the value was going to plummet.  *figuring I would just buy them again when it started going back up*  The kicker?  I couldn't, because although Coinbase already took the money out of my bank account, they hadn't actually given me my coins yet.  So all I could literally do was sit there sick to my stomach as the price crashed, and I couldn't do anything to protect my money. 

Then when it finally stopped crashing at around $500 and started creeping back up, I decided to buy some coins really quick while they were cheap.  NOPE.  Coinbase wouldn't let me buy any yet because even though they took my money out of my bank account days earlier, the transaction still hadn't finished pending, and you can't buy more coins until your first purchase is finished.  So not only did I get screwed by Coinbase because they took my money but gave me no coins, I couldn't even buy more when the market crashed. 

In the end, I don't really "blame" Coinbase.  I could have tried to get instant verification, I'm just not ready to fork over all that personal info yet.  I also obviously understand WHY they have to wait several days for everything, otherwise people would buy Bitcoins, send them away, then go to the bank to reverse their withdrawal.  Still sucks though, since I decided to buy Bitcoins at the worst possible time.  *hours before a crash*  Even if Bitcoins skyrocket in value in the near future, I am still partially bummed because I could have had twice as many. 

I heavily recommend to everyone to buy their coins somewhere they can't get them instantly, so you don't get screwed by circumstance like I did. 
Essex343

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 08:21:10 AM

i wouldnt use coinbase... p2p, only way to go

matriculator (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

I just bought my first Bitcoins?
Are you asking us this? How are we supposed to know that?  Cheesy

Lol, from what I've read about coinbase's level 1 bitcoin purchase, it's as if they've Schrodinger working for them, I may or may not have bought bitcoins.  
matriculator (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:39:57 PM

My first Bitcoin experience was with Coinbase, and I got burned hard!  Disclaimer: *But not necessarily Coinbase's fault*

I decided to buy several Bitcoins last week on Coinbase.  After several days of waiting to get verified, putting my order in then waiting for the withdrawal, my money was taken out of my account literally HOURS before the China announcement hit.  Since I saw the China report 1 minute after it was released, I logged onto Coinbase to sell my coins really quick, because I knew the value was going to plummet.  *figuring I would just buy them again when it started going back up*  The kicker?  I couldn't, because although Coinbase already took the money out of my bank account, they hadn't actually given me my coins yet.  So all I could literally do was sit there sick to my stomach as the price crashed, and I couldn't do anything to protect my money. 

Then when it finally stopped crashing at around $500 and started creeping back up, I decided to buy some coins really quick while they were cheap.  NOPE.  Coinbase wouldn't let me buy any yet because even though they took my money out of my bank account days earlier, the transaction still hadn't finished pending, and you can't buy more coins until your first purchase is finished.  So not only did I get screwed by Coinbase because they took my money but gave me no coins, I couldn't even buy more when the market crashed. 

In the end, I don't really "blame" Coinbase.  I could have tried to get instant verification, I'm just not ready to fork over all that personal info yet.  I also obviously understand WHY they have to wait several days for everything, otherwise people would buy Bitcoins, send them away, then go to the bank to reverse their withdrawal.  Still sucks though, since I decided to buy Bitcoins at the worst possible time.  *hours before a crash*  Even if Bitcoins skyrocket in value in the near future, I am still partially bummed because I could have had twice as many. 

I heavily recommend to everyone to buy their coins somewhere they can't get them instantly, so you don't get screwed by circumstance like I did. 

Are you also on level 1? I imagined a somewhat similar scenario in my head concerning coinbase. Although I'm a bit worried about uploading all my info on the site for instantbuy, I'll try doing that as soon as I hit level 2.
kyma

Activity: 479
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:57:15 PM

Thanks for all these replies. I actually just opened a wallet with coinbase. Everyone's responses have gotten me to reconsider.

What options are out there for P2P?

Does P2P include trading options like MtGox and BTCE?

uininPeter

Activity: 141

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 06:00:18 PM

Very bad. When I wanted to buy, they were out of Bitcoins and I had to wait 4 days. I bought using localbitcoins instead

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 06:04:25 PM

Localbitcoins is good.  If using coinbase just make a small purchase to make sure everything is verified and ready to go when you need it.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 06:08:29 PM

I also think localbitcoins is the best option because you can organize everything the way you want it and therefor minimazing the risk of unwanted danger Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: