Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:56:18 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another IT guy clueless about the Coin...  (Read 705 times)
BuhTuglia (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:37:01 PM

Okay, I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here... but today I met yet another guy that does computer crap for a living, yet didn't know diddly about bitcoin.... who's not getting the word out? This is a guy that halfway runs the IT dept in the Fortune 500 company where I work... I made some remark about bitcoin... and he's like "Yeah, I heard something about that the other day..." I proceeded to fill him in, and to his credit he seemed very interested, and went off in search of Google. I'm just amazed that someone who does computer stuff for a living, although I'm sure he's busy putting out fires and helping clueless newbies, but I'm surprised that he knew so little about the coin. Just basically that it exsisted, everything else was news to him. It's just still surprising how many people out there have no idea that this stuff even exists. If an IT guy isn't aware, how about John. Q Citizen? What percentage of the population, do you guys think, has a basic, functional view of BtC and how it works? 2%? Maybe less?

Just another dust miner... Enquiring Gnomes want to Mine!
Send nothing to 16SVa2iQA6HuNPDGYShpmeEvUBRi2gW7f1
zeraTunerse

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:42:12 PM

What percentage of the population, do you guys think, has a basic, functional view of BtC and how it works? 2%? Maybe less?

About one million I estimate

1,000,000 / 7,000,000,000 = 0.014 %  Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:43:52 PM

2%?  Maybe a decade from now.

I think 1 in 1 million posted above is a lot closer to reality than 1 in 50.
esefexer

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:51:36 PM

No surprise to me really, IT is a VAST subject! Plus when you work in a certain field you sometimes spend free time doing other stuff.

I have been an IT consultant for 10 years running my own business yet I'm only recently into mining and have only had bitcoins for a year or so. I prefer spending free time doing other stuff away from screens where I can.

I love the way bitcoin could change world economics but its a slow process, there are millions of people out there who have never used a computer, its gonna take some time before its something everyone is aware of.

The future certainly looks interesting tho Smiley

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:53:32 PM

Well,

I'm from a city with ~500.000 Citizens. We do a monthly Bitcoin Meetup and at our last Meetup there where about 20 People (we where ~6 when we started  Grin ).

So I take this times 100 this for Guys that are aware of BTC but not that interested to go to a meetup.

So 1 in 250 in a Western City (not US, I think the count there is a lot higher).

Of course it's probably way lower in less developed countries.

Study with a single Test case, take a lot of assumptions and where I include myself as Testobject closed  Tongue

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
hairycoins

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:05:46 PM

Okay, I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here... but today I met yet another guy that does computer crap for a living, yet didn't know diddly about bitcoin.... who's not getting the word out? This is a guy that halfway runs the IT dept in the Fortune 500 company where I work... I made some remark about bitcoin... and he's like "Yeah, I heard something about that the other day..." I proceeded to fill him in, and to his credit he seemed very interested, and went off in search of Google. I'm just amazed that someone who does computer stuff for a living, although I'm sure he's busy putting out fires and helping clueless newbies, but I'm surprised that he knew so little about the coin. Just basically that it exsisted, everything else was news to him. It's just still surprising how many people out there have no idea that this stuff even exists. If an IT guy isn't aware, how about John. Q Citizen? What percentage of the population, do you guys think, has a basic, functional view of BtC and how it works? 2%? Maybe less?

I work in IT but I only got interested in December. I heard about Bitcoin back into 2010 but I thought it was just a geeky thing that would phase out. I was going to do some googling about this cyrptocurrency but I was swamp with work and didn't have enough time to learn something new because at the time I was going through my CCNA.
passwordistaco

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:00:25 AM

and thats the thing i too have known of bitcoin since 2010 but didnt realized what kind of growth and power it could have to me it was just deepweb currency. then it starts gaining traction and going up in value and that helps build a profile for it in the public eye but still people who have even a basic idea of it are few and far between and even fewer own any coin.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:19:45 AM

What percentage of the population, do you guys think, has a basic, functional view of BtC and how it works? 2%? Maybe less?

About one million I estimate

1,000,000 / 7,000,000,000 = 0.014 %  Smiley

Seems about right. I would say something more like 5 million, but its closer that 140,000,000.

Xenoph0bia

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:24:09 AM

So 1 in 250 in a Western City (not US, I think the count there is a lot higher).

I doubt, this would mean Bitcoin is already mainstream with 1% of population using it
trynmpo

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:55:38 AM

Nothing new  Grin
Ximp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

CS Student - BC Logo Guy

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:08:22 AM

Crypto-currency is extremely niche at the moment. It's going to be quite some time until even 0.05% of the 1st World Population has even a small understanding of what it is or how it works.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:28:05 PM

I doubt, this would mean Bitcoin is already mainstream with 1% of population using it

Yes, Bitcoin is pretty much mainstream. With the news coverage in the recent month, it's almost impossible that you haven't heard about Bitcoin.

How much more Mainstram than this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xg2gC-MuQA ) could it get?

Or left upper corner here:

Mainstream awareness is here. Adoption may or may not follow. But who in the Western World hasn't heard about Bitcoin by now, must have been living under a rock.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: