Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:11:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SecondMarket CEO: Wall Street Will Put 'Hundreds of Millions' Into Bitcoin  (Read 4664 times)
imperi (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:00:06 PM

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/230346

Wall Street is getting ready to dive into Bitcoin, pouring vast amounts of institutional and investor money into the digital currency that has been labeled a "bubble" by former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan and which not long ago was seen as the sole preserve of crypto-geeks, monetary-theory wonks and anti-government types.

So says Barry Silbert, founder and chief executive of SecondMarket, the online platform that allows its users to trade private company stocks. "We're three to six months away from Wall Street dollars moving into Bitcoin in a big way," he says.

Silbert should know: Earlier this fall, he launched the Bitcoin Investment Trust, the first investment vehicle allowing institutional investors to put money into the Bitcoin market while avoiding the hassle of personally holding the currency. The trust is open only to accredited investors, and the minimum investment is $25,000.

Speaking on Tuesday night at a private dinner for Bitcoin cognoscenti in New York, Silbert said he was astonished by the BIT's performance. "We launched six weeks ago and we're up to $70 million. That blows my mind. We were hoping to get to $10 million by the end of the year."

The value of the BIT derives entirely from the price of Bitcoin; it has benefited in recent weeks as Bitcoin soared north of $1,200. Because of a recent dip, the net assets of the trust now stand at about $63 million, which means it is holding that dollar value in bitcoins.

Related: SecondMarket Establishes New Bitcoin Trust for Accredited Investors

Silbert says he meets frequently with hedge fund workers, traders at large financial institutions and others who want to gain a better understanding of digital currencies and figure out how to capitalize on them. He reckons that Wall Street will enter the Bitcoin market in roughly three waves. The first is already beginning, and it's taking the form of IRA money. Customers with self-directed IRAs at Fidelity, Pensco Trust Company, The Entrust Group and Millenium Trust Company are now able to invest some of their money in Bitcoin via the BIT. Silbert expects most other IRAs to approve the BIT as an investment vehicle before the second quarter of next year, in response to growing interest from their customers.

Also in this first wave will be clients of the wealth-management arms of Wall Street banks. Silbert says the BIT is in conversations with "several major banks" and he expects the trust to be an approved product on their wealth-management platforms within the first half of 2014.

The second wave will be hedge funds and other institutional investors. "The principals that work at all those firms are starting to invest personally in the BIT," Silbert says. Anecdotally, he adds, it's clear they are investing in the Bitcoin market through other platforms as well. With traders, portfolio managers and executives all gaining interest, it appears to be only a matter of time before their firms follow suit and take a position in the digital currency.

The third wave will be Wall Street banks themselves, motivated purely by profit, says Silbert. "These banks already have large teams trading dollars and euros and yen and gold. Ultimately, Bitcoin is no different than those" as far as forex and commodities traders are concerned, he says. And indeed, currency strategists at Bank of America issued a note to clients last Thursday talking up Bitcoin's potential and analyzing its fair market value.

While most institutional investors are keeping mum on Bitcoin for the time being, the head of one firm has been outspoken about his faith in the cryptocurrency. Michael Novogratz, the co-chief investment officer of macro funds at Fortress, plumped for Bitcoin at a conference held in New York on Oct. 24. He recommended that investors "put a little money in Bitcoin," saying its value would appreciate significantly over the next few years.

At the time, the price of a single bitcoin was less than $200 on most exchanges. "I have a nice little Bitcoin position," Novogratz said at the conference. "Enough that I'm smiling that it doubled." One can imagine how that smile must have widened in the weeks since.

But it's hard to say where the price will be a month or six months from now. Although right now Silbert is happy to see Bitcoin performing above his expectations, in the near term "the price volatility is only going to get worse," he says. "We haven't seen anything yet."

He added, "Once Wall Street starts putting money into Bitcoin -- we're talking about hundreds of millions, billions of dollars moving in -- it's going to have a pretty dramatic effect on the price."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:12:31 PM

Yeah, once they all want a piece of the pie 10k could get eaten pretty quick. I wonder what pressure is going to get put on the core developers once the weight of the global financial markets starts to lean on a small open source program?

accord01

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:15:25 PM

lol, this is coming from 2nd Market CEO, not reliable.
Edward50

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:18:06 PM

I was wondering where this information was coming from. What is 2nd market and why is it not reliable?

I find it hard to believe that any legitimate financial intuition will allow peoples retirement fund to be put into Bitcoins.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Feri22

Activity: 748

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:20:03 PM

Why?
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:31:18 PM

I find it hard to believe that any legitimate financial intuition will allow peoples retirement fund to be put into Bitcoins.

I find it hard to believe that you were around during single-digit BTC prices and are not retired on an island somewhere.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:34:03 PM

Why?
This is just an advertisement / press release on behalf of his platform, published on what looks like a source that is not reputable.
MAbtc

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:39:05 PM

Why?
This is just an advertisement / press release on behalf of his platform, published on what looks like a source that is not reputable.

Wouldn't getting caught in a big fat lie hurt his little fund which has done fantastic so far? It seems like a big risk to take when you are already doing quite well.

Then again... humans! LOL.
I wouldn't say it's a big fat lie. Just unsubstantiated advertising.
MAbtc

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:52:08 PM

Why?

Wouldn't getting caught in a big fat lie hurt his little fund which has done fantastic so far? It seems like a big risk to take when you are already doing quite well.

Well... if it's not true, I would call it a big fat lie! LOL!
If I opened a widget trading platform, I'd be shouting from the rooftops that widgets were the next big thing, too.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:02:10 AM

I was wondering where this information was coming from. What is 2nd market and why is it not reliable?

Dude, have you ever stopped and thought that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE the ideas that are in your head that make things about Bitcoin seem "hard to believe" are false ideas? That maybe you are wrong, have been wrong and if you continue to not reevaluate your thoughts, are going to continue to be wrong?

I read that whole thing you wrote about "I would have bought if Bitcoin had gone back to $1". You know what?  The REASON it didn't go back to $1 is because everyone wanted it at that price. Just like LTC didnt go back to $1 a couple of months ago.  Because everyone wanted it at that price.

To make strong investments you have to be slightly ahead of the curve and your "ideas" limit you from doing that. Its a real shame.

Instead of admitting that you had "false" ideas and make bad decisions because of it, you just cling on to your same old ideas and waste your time on here.

The fact that you can't believe that "any legitimate institution" would allow Bitcoin investments and that you havent heard of Second Market, well, it just shows how little you truly know about BTC.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:04:11 AM

Why?

If I opened a widget trading platform, I'd be shouting from the rooftops that widgets were the next big thing, too.

He's not hyping. Fidelity clients can invest through Second Market as of today. And some other large funds as well. I think he is being honest about what he is saying. Is he optimistic? Sure, but with the massive influx of funds theyve gotten so far, why shouldnt he be?

You betting against Wall Street coming into Bitcoin? If so, ok, but I'll bet the other side of that.
MAbtc

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:29:26 AM

Why?

He's not hyping. Fidelity clients can invest through Second Market as of today. And some other large funds as well. I think he is being honest about what he is saying. Is he optimistic? Sure, but with the massive influx of funds theyve gotten so far, why shouldnt he be?

You betting against Wall Street coming into Bitcoin? If so, ok, but I'll bet the other side of that.
You misread what I said. I said nothing about the question of Wall Street -- only about who is doing the talking and why.
Edward50

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:47:51 AM

Why?

I agree, these type of wallstreet guys always meet up with their friends who are also in the same type of business.

His friends are obviously going to ask him about his type of work and show interest in it because the guy just  made fortunes with the run to $1000.

Are these other hedge fund guys really going to start putting large portions of their clients money into bitcoins, probably not.

Especially with the price of bitcoin slowly dropping from high of 1200's to now 800's. Doubtful that any of them are going to consider bitcoin a good investment when it was only $13 dollars earlier this year.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:50:24 AM

I find it hard to believe that you were around during single-digit BTC prices and are not retired on an island somewhere.

the thing you new guys need to understand is that when btc was single digits we actually had to convince ppl that conning someone out of btc was illegal and immoral. that is, it was NOT the same as doing so on eve online or some other video game currency. and there were few legal ways to spend.  no gyft no bitpay with 10k merchants.  with that perspective you may start to understand why early adopters were not investing 10k usd and early miners were happy to get 2 to 10 bucks per coin.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:52:08 AM

the thing you new guys need to understand is that when btc was single digits we actually had to convince ppl that conning someone out of btc was illegal and immoral. that is, it was NOT the same as doing so on eve online or some other video game currency. and there were few legal ways to spend.  no gyft no bitpay with 10k merchants.  with that perspective you may start to understand why early adopters were not investing 10k usd and early miners were happy to get 2 to 10 bucks per coin.

There is a thing called vision.
Dragonkiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:52:28 AM

Why?

I agree, these type of wallstreet guys always meet up with their friends who are also in the same type of business.

His friends are obviously going to ask him about his type of work and show interest in it because the guy just  made fortunes with the run to $1000.

Are these other hedge fund guys really going to start putting large portions of their clients money into bitcoins, probably not.

Especially with the price of bitcoin slowly dropping from high of 1200's to now 800's. Doubtful that any of them are going to consider bitcoin a good investment when it was only $13 dollars earlier this year.

Not large portions, but 1-3%? Sure, why not. That's all we need for a huge increase in price.
Edward50

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:15:04 AM

Yup, those times were a lot different. Plus a fall from $30 to $2, when just months before bitcoin was fractions of a pennies. I mean, you literally could buy thousands for almost nothing. A $1.00 seemed to be where it would finally stabilize at. A good bet to almost double your coins than buying at $2.00.

It is easy to say now when bitcoin is $1000 a coin that I was crazy not to buy in the single digits.

The recent booms were partly because years passed and the government didn't shut it down, it didn't get hacked etc. There were all things to worry about at the time. You sure wouldn't want to throw 10K into it.

Although, I still think the prices right now are unsustainable.

Michael Robinson

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:08:10 AM

Why isn't the value of Bitcoin going up quickly right now?

Bitcoin got 25x more media attention last week than ever before, public awareness is skyrocketing, everyone from Coinbase to BTC-E to Bitpay are saying they are seeing drastic increases in the number of people signing up for their services and investing money in the Bitcoin economy, etc.  Yet the value is going down the last couple days?

Are people with a ton of Bitcoin slowly selling theirs, making this a type of Ponzi scheme after all?  Or are people simply cashing out already because they are having second thoughts?  I am just confused from an economic standpoint as to how a ton of new money can be streaming in, yet prices are going down. 
Salivan

Activity: 195
Merit: 102

DiMS dev team

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:44:30 AM

Why isn't the value of Bitcoin going up quickly right now?

Bitcoin got 25x more media attention last week than ever before, public awareness is skyrocketing, everyone from Coinbase to BTC-E to Bitpay are saying they are seeing drastic increases in the number of people signing up for their services and investing money in the Bitcoin economy, etc.  Yet the value is going down the last couple days?

Are people with a ton of Bitcoin slowly selling theirs, making this a type of Ponzi scheme after all?  Or are people simply cashing out already because they are having second thoughts?  I am just confused from an economic standpoint as to how a ton of new money can be streaming in, yet prices are going down.  

right now as we speak , price is falling but only because of some kind of playing with market.
We will rise again soon because of  fundamentals
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:46:45 AM

Are people with a ton of Bitcoin slowly selling theirs, making this a type of Ponzi scheme after all?

what? how selling by early adopters equates ponzi in your mind? Smiley many people who bought cheaper are taking profits when they see the moment is right (before a serious resistance), and that same thing happens in *every* market, why the hell would that be a ponzi? do you even know the definition?

i am satoshi
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: