Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:01:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: offline wallet address and checking balance  (Read 532 times)
shark255 (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:19:01 PM

If i create a wallet, get address and then close wallet for a month.

If during this time me and someone will send coins to the address, could i verify its balance via blockchain.info for example?
Does the bitcoin network knows about my address balance, while my wallet is offline ?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:20:44 PM

Yes and Yes.

Same thing applies to paper wallet even if the address was generated offline.  You only need to be online to send coins not receive them.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:23:17 PM

If you'd like to get fancy, Armory offers extended functions for offline wallets, allowing watch-only wallets for online computers (has no private key) as well as permitting "offline transactions" by switching a USB key back and forth from the online and offline computer.

Of course, if you're just not opening Bitcoin QT but still have the computer with the wallet file on it connected to the Internet, it isn't really an offline wallet.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 12:55:05 AM

If i create a wallet, get address and then close wallet for a month.

If during this time me and someone will send coins to the address, could i verify its balance via blockchain.info for example?
Does the bitcoin network knows about my address balance, while my wallet is offline ?

To check the balance you can go to http://blockchain.info/address/BTC_ADDRESS_GOES_HERE and yes even if you wallet is offline, the balance will show since it is still logged on the blockchain.

shark255 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:58:56 AM

Many thanks, guys!
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 12:32:20 AM

Many thanks, guys!

Np. If you have any more questions feel free to ask! Smiley

TheJacob

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:46:46 AM

Someone know of a technical article I can read that explains how addresses and keys are created?

I want to get an idea of how address creation works. For example, how you can create an address offline yet the network knows it.
zlink

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:18:34 AM

Any address you generate offline isn't actually a part of the blockchain until the first transaction utilizing it occurs. So basically, once you send some bitcoins to your new wallet, the network becomes aware it exists and registers it into the blockchain.

This page gives some technical background on bitcoin addresses.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_Bitcoin_addresses

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: