Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:56:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] DownloadCoin Beta launches!  (Read 1455 times)
DownloadCoin.com (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 12:37:59 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2011, 12:55:44 AM by DownloadCoin.com

Hi everybody, I'm proud to announce that DownloadCoin Beta has just launched.

http://www.downloadcoin.com

What is DownloadCoin?

Our aim is to make it extremely easy for people to sell digital content online for Bitcoin. Just fill in your address, set the price, and upload the file. Every visitor to your download link is assigned a unique Bitcoin address to send their payment, when the server detects that the payment has been received a unique key is created for that user that gives them access to the file for 30 days.

Optional email feature

The original plan was to rely solely upon the redirection script to give users access to the file, however there are some situations where this is not possible such as a users with javascript disabled. For this reason we added the option to have the file emailed to you. We don't share your email address with anybody else and it's deleted from our system after 30 days.

How long do we store files?

Files are deleted if they haven't been downloaded for 6 months.

Who can benefit from this?

Here are a few of the possibilities:

• Ebook authors
  • Web designers selling templates on forums
  • Indie music producers
  • Software developers

Somebody bought my product, why isnt the BTC in my account yet?

Funds are not instantly added to your account when somebody pays, they are added once the transaction has reached 6 confirmations.

How to withdraw

Withdrawals are completely automatic. Funds are sent to you within 10 minutes of reaching the minimum account balance of 0.01 BTC.

What information do we log?

• Every file uploaded has an associated Bitcoin address and the time it was uploaded.
  • Every withdrawal is logged containing the Bitcoin address, the amount withdrawn, and the time.
  • The address that downloaders send Bitcoin to is logged along with the time the payment was received.
  • IP addresses aren't logged. (outside of traffic stats)

Abuse policy

It's against the rules for you to upload something without the copyright owners permission. Anything illegal will be dealt with swiftly.

We also respond to notices of alleged infringement in compliance with the DMCA at copyright@downloadcoin.com

We are in Beta!

Please be aware that we are in a public Beta phase. We are constantly changing things and adding features to the site so service may be interrupted for brief periods. Once we remove the Beta tag this will not occur.

If you have any issues with the site or just want to send some feedback, contact us.

Regards,
DownloadCoin.com
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 01:15:54 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2011, 01:30:25 AM by Sukrim

Great idea and I especially LOVE that you don't need accounts!

Edit:
Do you charge fees? If yes - how much, if no - mention it! Smiley

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
DownloadCoin.com (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 01:55:17 AM

Do you charge fees? If yes - how much, if no - mention it! Smiley

1% on withdrawal, it says so at the bottom of the home page but I will work on making it more visible.
drawoc

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 175wn

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 02:31:51 AM

It would be nice if you could automatically withdraw funds instead of making me manually watch the balance and withdraw. For example, every day you could send the balance of any account with over 0.01 BTC in it. Because you'd be sending all of the payouts at once you could use a sendmany to save on transaction fees. Sounds like a better idea to me.

Donate: 175WNXmJ1WVhFgVGKUqEhYtAQGRYAvqPA
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 06:40:01 AM

+1 to the automatic withdrawal

Is it intended that it is not very hard to guess links to files you don't own?

http://www.downloadcoin.com/content.php?dist=__&d=__
dist seems to be a userID, d is most likely just a running file ID. If I now query all "d"s for a fixed "dist", I should have a list of all files uploaded with that bitcoin address...

How long do you store files, even if they never get downloaded? Is some content forbidden? What information do you log of Uploaders and Downloaders? How do I delete files again, if I want to?

DownloadCoin.com (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 09:59:18 AM

It would be nice if you could automatically withdraw funds instead of making me manually watch the balance and withdraw. For example, every day you could send the balance of any account with over 0.01 BTC in it. Because you'd be sending all of the payouts at once you could use a sendmany to save on transaction fees. Sounds like a better idea to me.

Thanks for the feedback, I will work on getting this put in.

+1 to the automatic withdrawal

Is it intended that it is not very hard to guess links to files you don't own?

http://www.downloadcoin.com/content.php?dist=__&d=__
dist seems to be a userID, d is most likely just a running file ID. If I now query all "d"s for a fixed "dist", I should have a list of all files uploaded with that bitcoin address...

How long do you store files, even if they never get downloaded? Is some content forbidden? What information do you log of Uploaders and Downloaders? How do I delete files again, if I want to?

It's intended that it's not too hard to brute force all the different files at the moment. When you have sold a group of files they also appear on the balance page with a download count. There are plans to offer a store with categories and search functionality soon to assist uploaders with sales, you will be able to choose to opt out of this feature and do a fast upload if you would prefer. It wouldn't be hard to throw a random key on files that don't appear on the store to prevent brute forcing hidden files.

DownloadCoin.com (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 01:14:25 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2011, 01:26:09 PM by DownloadCoin.com

Sorry to anybody visiting the site in the last hour you may have seen some errors, changes were made to the way the files are stored.
indicasteve

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 01:30:15 PM

Seems to be working fine now.

I just put Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy on there...my all-time favorite read.

"Called forth to stand trial on Trantor for allegations of Treason (for foreshadowing the decline of the Galactic Empire), Seldon explains that his science of Psychohistory foresees many alternatives, all of which result in the Galactic Empire eventually falling. If humanity follows their current path, the Empire will fall and thirty thousand years of turmoil will overcome humanity before a second Empire arises. However, an alternative path allows for the intervening years to only be one thousand, if Seldon is allowed to collect the most intelligent minds and create a compendium of all human knowledge, titled Encyclopedia Galactica."

Check it out!  Only .1 BTC!
http://www.downloadcoin.com/content.php?dist=42&d=101

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
DownloadCoin.com (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 08:09:39 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2011, 08:39:18 PM by DownloadCoin.com

Withdrawals are now automatic! Once your balance reaches 0.01 BTC it's scheduled to be withdrawn within 10 minutes. The view balance page is still useful to see how many times each file has been bought and downloaded.
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 11:26:39 PM

Is there a chance of having some kind of versioning too?

I thought of uploading constantly updated builds of a program, but always getting a different link (and having to update this at different places) every time I push a new version might be a bit too much.

Also I'd still love to have answers to the following:
How long do you store files, even if they never get downloaded?
Is some content forbidden? (If yes, which...)
What information do you log of Uploaders and Downloaders?
How do I delete files again, if I want to?

Asimov's work for example is still copyrighted and indicasteve might not own global distribution rights... Wink

indicasteve

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 12:33:36 AM

Asimov's work for example is still copyrighted and indicasteve might not own global distribution rights... Wink

Yes...you are absolutely correct.  I thought the guy has been dead long enough that his works would be in the public domain by now.  I thought it was 20 years after death, but after researching, it's 50 years...or 120 years if the work was made on behalf of a corporation. (USA law)

Oh well...  I won't post any more of his work.  But if you're still looking to read more of his work, many of his books have been available for free download since 2004 here:  http://vivien23.uw.hu/index.html

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
DownloadCoin.com (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 01:40:33 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2011, 01:57:18 AM by DownloadCoin.com

How long do you store files, even if they never get downloaded?

Files are deleted if they haven't been downloaded for 6 months.

Is some content forbidden? (If yes, which...)

When it comes to things like the book posted in this thread, it's against the rules for you to upload it without the copyright owners permission but there is no way for us to identify whether you have that or not. We aren't going to be specifically hunting down things like that to delete. That said, anything illegal will be dealt with swiftly.

A way to report files is next on the list of things to add to the site. We also respond to notices of alleged infringement in compliance with the DMCA at copyright@downloadcoin.com

What information do you log of Uploaders and Downloaders?

• Every file uploaded has an associated Bitcoin address and the time it was uploaded.
  • Every withdrawal is logged containing the Bitcoin address, the amount withdrawn, and the time.
  • The address that downloaders send Bitcoin to is logged along with the time the payment was received.
  • IP addresses aren't logged. (outside of traffic stats)

How do I delete files again, if I want to?

At the moment you can't. This will be made possible before we release the shop feature which requires registration.

With regards to the shop, the plan is to have everything optional and for some of those options to require a small fee, such as featured listings and bolding the text similar to ebay.
Delia

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 04:37:10 AM

It should be possible to optionally flag your upload as publicly-visible. Then, create a page linked from the front page of the site that lists all the publicly-visible files, sorted by number of downloads, or maybe by when they were uploaded.
Are-you-a-wizard?

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 10:03:19 AM

Me likey.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: