Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:57:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fidelity Now Allowing Bitcoins In IRAs  (Read 2962 times)
FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:40:57 AM

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-11/fidelity-now-allowing-bitcoins-iras

We are sure this will all end well... but as Marketwatch reports, Fidelity has partnered with SecondMarket’s Bitcoin Investment Trust to allow its clients to save for their retirement by putting the virtual currency in self-directed IRAs.

Via Marketwatch,

“If you are a Fidelity client, you can now invest in the Bitcoin Investment Trust through an IRA,” said Barry Silbert, chief executive of SecondMarket, in an interview.

MarketWatch previously reported that SecondMarket had teamed up with self-directed IRA providers PENSCO, Entrust and Equity Institutional  to allow investors to save for retirement with bitcoin.

Fidelity is the largest and most well-known company that SecondMarket has teamed up with for this, Silbert said, adding that he hopes to add a few more providers soon.

Edit: In case you didn't know

FMR LLC (Fidelity Management and Research) or Fidelity Investments is an American multinational financial services corporation. It is one of the largest mutual fund and financial services groups in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidelity_Investments

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:49:26 AM

Interesting development!
TheJacob

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:17:02 AM

They charge 2% annually and 1.5% on the backend. Up to you to determine whether that is a fair price to store your bitcoins. From what I can tell they aren't trading bitcoins. They are literally buying and storing bitcoins on the investors behalf and charging them a fee.

I suppose those percentages could be worth it if they have ways of obtaining bitcoins at lower prices than the average person.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:14:33 AM

They charge 2% annually and 1.5% on the backend. Up to you to determine whether that is a fair price to store your bitcoins. From what I can tell they aren't trading bitcoins. They are literally buying and storing bitcoins on the investors behalf and charging them a fee.

I suppose those percentages could be worth it if they have ways of obtaining bitcoins at lower prices than the average person.

They're probably buying in large blocks from large holders, negotiated either at or slightly below weighted-avg exchange rates, and obviously with no slippage. That'll be possible for a while longer; there are probably a bunch of early adopters who are looking to diversify.

But in any event, while you or I would rather just store our own bitcoins and avoid the fees, it's reasonable for the less technically-savvy. Additionally, this allows investors to gain exposure to bitcoin through an already-understood vehicle (ie, your CPA will be able to figure out the tax consequences easily). And the fees will likely remain pretty negligible compared to the overall gain or loss, for quite some time, due to the fact that bitcoin will remain volatile for a while; we're still obviously in wild price-discovery mode for a fascinating and far-reaching new technology, asset-class, and monetary system.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:18:39 AM

One important point to consider is that while Fidelity will allow investing in the Bitcoin Trust, the Bitcoin Trust is limited to accredited investors (>$1M in assets or >$200K annual income or a few other conditions).  So grandma (unless she is an accredited investor) won't be using this even if she has a Fidelity brokerage account.   Still it should help the Bitcoin ETF convince regulators of the need and merit for the ETF.
FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 04:59:22 PM

Personally I think this is HUGE! The biggest thing since China IMO.

Right now Bitcoin investment has been driven predominantly by the male 24-38 demographic, and veering more towards those that are slightly tech savvy. So it has been very niche.

However, the vast majority of the wealth is held by a small % of the 40+ demographic. But thus far Bitcoin has lacked the legitimacy, exposure and ease of access this market requires.

But lately Bitcoin has got much more exposure, gained a certain degree of legitimacy in the US and China. However ease of access has been the problem, banks can be quite problematic especially for large sums, and the whole process of bitcoin clients, wallets & exchanges is still a significant barrier to entry for this market. This announcement changes that. Fidelity has over 4 trillion $ of assets under management and thousands of HNWI as clients.

ATM I think the BTC market is just waiting for some further clarification from China on whether it's OK for retailers to accept them as payment, once the price adjusts to that news then I think this pension/mutual funds moving in news will be the big 2014 BTC price driver.
TheJacob

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:04:12 PM

But in any event, while you or I would rather just store our own bitcoins and avoid the fees, it's reasonable for the less technically-savvy. Additionally, this allows investors to gain exposure to bitcoin through an already-understood vehicle (ie, your CPA will be able to figure out the tax consequences easily). And the fees will likely remain pretty negligible compared to the overall gain or loss, for quite some time, due to the fact that bitcoin will remain volatile for a while; we're still obviously in wild price-discovery mode for a fascinating and far-reaching new technology, asset-class, and monetary system.

If you don't understand bitcoin enough to figure out how to properly store them safely then you probably shouldn't be pumping $25,000+ into them.
kellrobinson

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:07:15 PM

Is this just another form of hoarding?  It might exacerbate volatility.
FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:10:51 PM

If you don't understand bitcoin enough to figure out how to properly store them safely then you probably shouldn't be pumping $25,000+ into them.

I think it's all relative. $25,000+ to a HNWI is the same as a median person 'pumping $25' into BTC.

Is this just another form of hoarding?  It might exacerbate volatility.

I agree, but in the short term, if you're in BTC, buy an umbrella, because it's going to be raining $,¥,€ & £  Smiley
btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:13:52 PM

this does sound big.   doesn't seem to have affected the price yet though.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
wormbog

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:29:00 PM

One important point to consider is that while Fidelity will allow investing in the Bitcoin Trust, the Bitcoin Trust is limited to accredited investors (>$1M in assets or >$200K annual income or a few other conditions).  So grandma (unless she is an accredited investor) won't be using this even if she has a Fidelity brokerage account.   Still it should help the Bitcoin ETF convince regulators of the need and merit for the ETF.

This is the big question for me. I've asked my IRA administrator to find out the details.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 05:55:25 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2013, 06:11:27 PM by LiteCoinGuy

thats not correct in my opinion. the cryptoworld needs services like this, otherwise you will never get the big money in the btc-space. and i guess the fees of that services will go down when more services pop up.

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:00:31 PM

That's a pretty myopic point of view. There are certainly people who can easily grasp the economic ramifications without wanting to deal with the minutia of M of N paper wallets and encrypted backups. You need to understand the value of people's time. Someone who has plenty of money should value their time quite highly (we're all mortal, after all (barring some singularity-induced shift in the meaning of life)). Spending days learning how to securely deal with bitcoins (and it would indeed be days for someone not already tech-savvy) just isn't a good use of time for a lot of people.

Also, pay attention to my note about the BIT being an investment vehicle that's already understood with regard to tax consequences. That's huge for the target demographic.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:01:39 PM

On top of this, the IRA needs to be self directed.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:07:23 PM

Looks like Fidelity is backpedaling...

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/12/12/fidelity-halts-bitcoin-investments-from-iras/
TheJacob

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:39:51 PM

Just a matter of time before someone allows it. Especially if they are getting a kickback from the trust(which they probably will).
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:43:15 PM

Lame so now they are even telling accredited investors (who generally can do whatever they want with their money, different rules for the rich) they can't invest in this legitimate investment.  I mean it isn't that big of a deal because any high net worth individual could open a self directed IRA with another trustee faster than you can make a phone call but it is still lame on Fidelity part.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:45:32 PM

That's a pretty myopic point of view. There are certainly people who can easily grasp the economic ramifications without wanting to deal with the minutia of M of N paper wallets and encrypted backups. You need to understand the value of people's time. Someone who has plenty of money should value their time quite highly (we're all mortal, after all (barring some singularity-induced shift in the meaning of life)). Spending days learning how to securely deal with bitcoins (and it would indeed be days for someone not already tech-savvy) just isn't a good use of time for a lot of people.

Also, pay attention to my note about the BIT being an investment vehicle that's already understood with regard to tax consequences. That's huge for the target demographic.

This.  There are plenty of financially successful people who have other people manage their money.  They always have, they always will.  Saying they shouldn't be putting a small portion of their wealth into Bitcoin just because they don't understand it at a nuts and bolts level is just short sighted.  Most people don't understand internet security enough to know how online banking keeps their account safe should they be prohibited from using online banking or engaging in eCommerce?

When people don't know something often the solution is to use the services of someone who does know.

FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:28:32 PM

When I think about the TPTB interfering with BTC, I always imagine a T-Rex wildly flailing his little arms at a massive incoming asteroid.
thegolden24

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

follow me on twitter @BitcoinBender

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:43:14 PM

"Fidelity Investments is no longer allowing clients to invest in the virtual currency bitcoin through SecondMarket’s Bitcoin Investment Trust, a representative for Fidelity told MarketWatch on Thursday."

“On an individual basis, we allowed an investor to invest in that Bitcoin Investment Trust,” said Rob Beauregard, director of public relations at Fidelity, in a telephone interview Thursday morning. “We are no longer allowing that.”

This was released on MarketWatch about 2 hours ago... Undecided

Bitrated user: ChrisCarreon.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: