Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:06:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Event in Ubuntu  (Read 821 times)
h3m96 (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:09:45 AM

I installed bitcoin-qt and some weird things happened.  Should I not post this here at all?  I went to AskUbuntu, but I didn't get any help.  The problem is, when the blockchain started downloading a while, I then could not update my system and the "apt" function of my operating system disappeared.  I've used Ubuntu since 2006, and I've never seen that happen.  Does it have something to do with bitcoin-qt?  Or did I bonk my machine? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:59:48 AM

Unless the error message you get when you try to update is "apt-get: command not found", it is safe to say that it has not actually "disappeared". What package manager are you using and what exact problem are you having with it? Does it give an error message? If so, what exactly does it say? Does it not run at all? Does closing Bitcoin-Qt fix the problem? Do you have any other details that might be worth mentioning?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:28:56 PM

I've never had that but I was having some issues with downloading the blockchain, so I ended up just using electrum, works much better.
h3m96 (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:31:17 PM

Hi, sorry it took me a while to get back, I had major complications with my operating systems.  What you said above is indeed exactly what happened -- I got the "apt-get" command not found."   I tried to use WGET to download Aptitude but it didn't work.  I never did get it fixed.  I'm not sure if I maybe uninstalled a vital program via Synaptic and just didn't realize I check-marked it, it could be that, but I've never had that happen before.  I am now using Xubuntu and MultiBit is fantastic on here, it works great.  I also have Electrum on Windows but I haven't used it yet.  I have run the blockchain download on other computers, on Windows 7 and on Linux Mint with no problems.    By the way, closing Bitcoin-qt did not help because once your wallet is encrypted, on Ubuntu 12 anyway, you lose the tray icon and the Menu options as well, it's a bug I found on google.  I'm thinking it has to do with qt.  What I was looking for is the ideal Linux distro to use with Bitcoin.  It looks so far like Xubuntu is great.  Thanks for your help!
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:29:50 AM

Shocked Wow, I was just joking when I said that... That's not something that can normally happen by accident. Though, it is possible to completely break your system this way with Synaptic if you tell it to - it has a strong "do what I say, not what I mean" policy. Always remember to read the confirmation dialog before clicking Apply.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: