Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:38:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: western union refusing wire transfers  (Read 6418 times)
Jmh428 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:19:58 AM

I tried two different wire transfers today into bitstamp and both were rejected.  The first was a smaller wire tranfer company i used before for bitstamp and the second one was at my bank and they deal with western union.  They said that western union will not transfer to any bitcoin related business account.  That was a surprise to me.  I still got stuck with the related wire transfer charges from the bank!  Im in Canada.  Should I fight this and demand that they transfer the money or what are my options?
gog1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:22:54 AM

I don't get this, Western Union is doing the wire?  Ain't u doing it from a bank?
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:45:39 AM

i gave WU so much legit business over past decade plus some more years, in the end they banned me from using their services because i sent out two transfers at the same day for equal amounts to one person, no real reason was provided except that their anti-fraud department didn't approve the transfers, i couldn't reach anyone there to clear things up and to provide any necessary details and paperwork for my transfers. and ofc nowhere it said i couldn't do two identical amount transfers at the same day to a single person - my reason for doing that was debit card limits because WU debit charge goes as an ATM withdraw or something like that.
I understand their position, as there are tons of fraud going through their system or at least it used to, but they don't give legit users/businesses options to differentiate themselves from fraud in a first place. I also hated that their online service inquire higher fees than going though a local agent - what a nonsense. their 'conservative' outdated means of doing business will lead them in the same path as AOL.

btw i also find it strange that OP mentions a bank doing wire transfers through WU, although it could be possible as there is whole section for businesses on their web site.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:44:40 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2013, 07:57:02 AM by franky1

bitcoin allows you to transfer value to anyone without restriction
bitcoin allows you to own and possess value

banks and fiat transfer systems block transfers of their IOU's, add alot of fee's to reduce IOU's value and give delays of upto 3-5 days.

this all proves that bitcoin is a better system then the banking system

once bitcoin goes mainstream to purchase groceries and utitities we can be free of the banking system

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
akaman

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:37:46 PM

I tried two different wire transfers today into bitstamp and both were rejected.  The first was a smaller wire tranfer company i used before for bitstamp and the second one was at my bank and they deal with western union.  They said that western union will not transfer to any bitcoin related business account.  That was a surprise to me.  I still got stuck with the related wire transfer charges from the bank!  Im in Canada.  Should I fight this and demand that they transfer the money or what are my options?

I just had the same happen to me today. My bank (a credit union in the US) use Western Union for international wires. The wire was returned after 1 business day, with WU simply stating they do no transact with "this entity" (i.e. Bitstamp). Asked my bank for a copy of the letter from Western Union but they refused. In any case, WU's intentions is easy enough to decipher: Western Union is boycotting Bitstamp (and probably other BTC exchanges they know of). Quite predictable though when you think of it...

My bank refunded the 40 USD wire transfer fee and apologized.
akaman

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:39:18 PM

bitcoin allows you to transfer value to anyone without restriction
bitcoin allows you to own and possess value

banks and fiat transfer systems block transfers of their IOU's, add alot of fee's to reduce IOU's value and give delays of upto 3-5 days.

this all proves that bitcoin is a better system then the banking system

once bitcoin goes mainstream to purchase groceries and utitities we can be free of the banking system

Thanks for re-iterating the same propaganda we've heard a zillion times. Question is: How are we going to get value *into* the bitcoin economy without the aid of banks? Ripple?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:00:44 PM

Question is: How are we going to get value *into* the bitcoin economy without the aid of banks? Ripple?
Sweat equity.
BreathOfZen

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 10:00:49 PM

I just had the same happen to me today. My bank (a credit union in the US) use Western Union for international wires. The wire was returned after 1 business day, with WU simply stating they do no transact with "this entity" (i.e. Bitstamp). Asked my bank for a copy of the letter from Western Union but they refused. In any case, WU's intentions is easy enough to decipher: Western Union is boycotting Bitstamp (and probably other BTC exchanges they know of). Quite predictable though when you think of it...

I just had a wire transfer from my credit union to Bitstamp rejected by WU today as well. The only difference between our stories is that they didn't apologize too much Sad

Aoeui Artifacts
akaman

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:37:14 PM

Question is: How are we going to get value *into* the bitcoin economy without the aid of banks? Ripple?
Sweat equity.

No. Assuming I reward my employees/contractors for their work with bitcoins. How will *I* obtain those coins? At some point someone needs to purchase coins from someone else.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:26:24 AM

I just had a wire transfer from my credit union to Bitstamp rejected by WU today as well. The only difference between our stories is that they didn't apologize too much Sad

So WU are decided to fight rather than work with bitcoin. Interesting (but completely wrong) strategy.
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:45:27 PM

Sweat equity.

No. Assuming I reward my employees/contractors for their work with bitcoins. How will *I* obtain those coins? At some point someone needs to purchase coins from someone else.

Provide something that bitcoin owners desire.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:42:37 AM

Sweat equity.

You have no way of obtaining bitcoins at the moment? Its like being back in 2012
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: