Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:37:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why LTC?  (Read 1047 times)
traiz (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 06:48:42 AM

Newbie question, but why would anyone want use an alt-coin like LTC?
   While its supposed to be anti-ASIC due to scrypt; aren't there ASICs coming out for it?

So how would it be any better than bitcoin? Wouldn't an altcoin that prevents mining with anything other than a CPU be better?
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:06:10 AM

So far the scrypt asics are only rumors. There isn't any real reason to "use" litecoins over bitcoins but people are thinking of litecoins as a solid crypto coin anyway and they bet that it will grow well alongside bitcoin  Tongue
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:09:45 AM

ProtoShares is much better in my opinion. check it!
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:14:21 AM

What a convincing arguement  Roll Eyes

There are no ASICS known to be released for LTC.  Somebody may be planning it, but even at $40 somebody must really want to corner the market to shell out that much $ that may be better spent on BTC.
urumchi

Activity: 22

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:03:00 AM

ProtoShares is a scam. Not even a coin.
shirenlihei

Activity: 159

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:13:53 AM

Maybe the cost of an ASICS for LTC is more expansive than that of a video card because of the high-speed memory. But once the producer choose lower-speed memory for compromise and can control the cost, the ASICS for LTC should will come out.
Essex343

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 08:22:39 AM

just for a quick buck. too risky for long term.

titulng

Activity: 484

HubrisOne

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:38:46 AM

It's "shanzhai" in chinese.

◆

▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄▄            ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██       ██      ██       ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄      ██      ▐██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▄▄██▀▀▀██▄▄        ▀██▄     ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀       ██      ██       ██              ██               ██      ██      ██              ██▀       ▀██         ██▄    ██      ▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██      ██       ██      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀      ██      ▐██▄▄▄▄        ▐█           █▌      █▄ ▀██   ██      ██▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██      ██       ██      ██▀▀▀▀▀██        ██▀▀▀▀▀▀        ██        ▀▀▀▀██▄      ▐█           █▌      ██   ██▄ ██      ██▀▀▀▀
██       ██      ██       ██      ██      ██       ██   ▄▄         ██             ▐█▌     ▐█▄         ▄█▌      ██    ▀█▄██      ██
██       ██       ██▄   ▄██       ██     ▄█▀       ██    ▀█▄       ██            ▄██       ▀██▄▄   ▄▄██▀       ██     ▀███      ██
██       ██        ▀▀███▀▀        ████████▀        ██      ▀█      ██      ███████▀           ▀▀███▀▀          ██       ██      ██████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████

▄███████████▄     
██▀       ▐█▀█▄   
██        ▐█  ▀█▄ 
██        ▐█    ▀█▄
██        ▝▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██               ██
██  ███████████  ██
██               ██
██  ██████       ██
██               ██
██▄             ▄██
▀█████████████████▀
WP

arkintunde

Activity: 32

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:58:23 AM

IMO, Litecoin will continue to gain popularity and remain popular simply because it was second to the punch. I don't know the history of launch dates, but it would seem natural to me that the coins released at a date with the closest approximation of that to Bitcoin, even if the coin is technically identical for the most part, will gain popularity simply because Bitcoin gains popularity.
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:01:55 AM

Kinda Consider LTC  the Silver next to bitcoin being gold

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
yasein

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:03:56 AM

I agree, I mined 5 PTS and bought some, waiting for the new coins comming out, so I can get a share of them  Grin
omega33

Activity: 398

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:19:28 AM

LTC is best coin out of all the alt coins.
It is good to buy some LTCs now as it will appreciate faster than btc.

proinside

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:18:46 AM

First: LTC is like Silver for Bitcoins Gold.
Second: LTC uses scrypt, where currently is no asic arms race going. So even as a beginner you can mine them pretty good compared to BTC
Third: You can't predict the future. LTCs stock is going up and down like crazy some days. However, it's still the second biggest crypto available right now. And nobody knows when google comes around and says that sha256 is worthless, rendering BTC completly useless.

So its interesting to mine ltc currently and trade them in for other cryptos like btc or qrk or xpm
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:47:16 AM

Newbie question, but why would anyone want use an alt-coin like LTC?
   While its supposed to be anti-ASIC due to scrypt; aren't there ASICs coming out for it?
   So how would it be any better than bitcoin? Wouldn't an altcoin that prevents mining with anything other than a CPU be better?

Don't you see. If companies are investing millions to produce new hardware dedicated to mine Litecoin that mean that Litecoin is worth something.
Get some before the jump.
Elkuurbitcoins

Activity: 49

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 10:55:46 AM

Don't you see. If companies are investing millions to produce new hardware dedicated to mine Litecoin that mean that Litecoin is worth something.

So who is exactly investing millions in hardware dedicated to Litecoin?
Kenshin

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:00:09 AM

So far the scrypt asics are only rumors. There isn't any real reason to "use" litecoins over bitcoins but people are thinking of litecoins as a solid crypto coin anyway and they bet that it will grow well alongside bitcoin  Tongue

Yeah, if you look at the chart of the price of BTC and LTC. The graph looks almost identical. When BTC goes up LTC goes up. Also there is a rumour BTC China will be adding LTC soon.

Actually out of all the Alt-coins, LTC is the most widely accepted.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:06:45 AM

I don't have the names in mind. Look for Litecoin FPGA and Litecoin ASIC.
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:15:51 AM

Scrypt is not memory intensive inherently, that's a complete fallacy.

It's just that the most straightforward reference implementation depends on storing bit strings in memory instead of producing them on the fly.

It's entirely possible that computational speed can completely overcome the benefit of large amounts of memory with the right algorithmic design. Obviously there is a tradeoff between memory useage vs. number of operations, but what in computer science isn't like that?
Bitcoin Is A Great Idea

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

It is! :)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:28:01 AM

I don't have the names in mind. Look for Litecoin FPGA and Litecoin ASIC.
When are they planned to be released?

hamzattin

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:55:51 AM

because the fluctuations in the price can offer better profit opportunities. people want to earn too many but in bitcoin market it is very hard such a big spread...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: