Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:12:46 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound file to play on statuses?  (Read 721 times)
Automatic (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:10:31 AM

A tiny little tooltip at the bottom of my screen can easily go unnoticed when watching a movie, working, playing a game, or, really, anything else I'm doing.

Can you please implement a way to select a sound file to be played when the events are fired? So I could have something like blockchain's high pitched beep whenever you receive payments, which, is super useful.

EDIT:- Talking about these:-

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:43:23 AM

I have actually tried to do this like 4 times now, and it doesn't seem to work.  Rather, I never figured out how to access the underlying sound system using Python-Qt4.  It should definitely be added, but I have struggled far more than I should have with it and it got dropped lower on the priority list.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 06:24:09 PM

I have actually tried to do this like 4 times now, and it doesn't seem to work.  Rather, I never figured out how to access the underlying sound system using Python-Qt4.  It should definitely be added, but I have struggled far more than I should have with it and it got dropped lower on the priority list.

Hi Alan, where did you get stuck?
I added this type of functionality (in PyQt4) to my personal copy of Electrum a while ago.
So perhaps I could help.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 06:28:46 PM

Worst case scenario, Ill build a PortAudio Python library and get it done that way.

etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 06:39:38 PM

I added this type of functionality (in PyQt4) to my personal copy of Electrum a while ago.
So perhaps I could help.

I got stuck when nothing I tried worked.  I tried like 3 examples from various websites and documentation, and I never got sound out it.

If you want to take a shot, please do.  Linux is easiest though, since the dev environment takes 4 commands to get setup.   Windows... is pretty terrible to get setup, even just for messing with the python libraries (not compiling any C++ code)

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:11:48 PM

I have actually tried to do this like 4 times now, and it doesn't seem to work.  Rather, I never figured out how to access the underlying sound system using Python-Qt4.  It should definitely be added, but I have struggled far more than I should have with it and it got dropped lower on the priority list.

So perhaps I could help.

I got stuck when nothing I tried worked.  I tried like 3 examples from various websites and documentation, and I never got sound out it.

If you want to take a shot, please do.  Linux is easiest though, since the dev environment takes 4 commands to get setup.   Windows... is pretty terrible to get setup, even just for messing with the python libraries (not compiling any C++ code)

Strange, I didn't have any difficulties at all to do this under Windows. I don't have much time right now, but here is a bare-bones working example of how to play a sound in PyQt4 that actually works (for me, at least):

Code:
import time ; from PyQt4.QtGui import *

QSound.play("C:/WINDOWS/Media/notify.wav")
time.sleep(3)

Can you give it a try?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: