Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:25:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How helpfull would it be to shoot a bitcoin block chain up into deep space?  (Read 2546 times)
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:04:23 AM

Okay so me and a friend of mine have been discussing this idea and were not sure how helpful it would be may be other knowledgeable bit coiners could help on this subject?

So we were thinking about sending a satellite into space... DEEP space. We are well aware that their is a time delay since the speed of light is constant.
We're not sure if its possible to keep a constant connection with the satellite in the event that a WW3 happens or some catastrophic event that every major ISP in the world shut down for what ever reason and we're force to rely on the deep space satellite for a synchronized block chain.

So our question to you bitcointalk, Do you think it is economically feasible for everyone to have satellites ready to be auto-calibrated for deep space satellite for the most updated block chain in the event of a all the ISP's going out and the Internet getting cut out?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:09:04 AM

Just shield it in lead, it would be a lot cheaper.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:15:49 AM

Can you elaborate?

Edit: So your basically just suggesting that someone builds a shielded box and sets it underground?(I'm assuming the underground part) thats is always connected to the internet?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:32:59 AM

Can you elaborate?

Edit: So your basically just suggesting that someone builds a shielded box and sets it underground?(I'm assuming the underground part) thats is always connected to the internet?
Umm... it would be a lot easier running cables underground than into space. Satellites are typically designed to broadcast to a wide area, not as a node. I don't get the point of using a satellite for bitcoin. Are you also planning a global satellite communications system to support the satellite?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 05:18:24 AM

Can you elaborate?

Umm... it would be a lot easier running cables underground than into space. Satellites are typically designed to broadcast to a wide area, not as a node. I don't get the point of using a satellite for bitcoin. Are you also planning a global satellite communications system to support the satellite?

yes there will be a link to the satellite that will be maintained in every country, but any consumer should be able to purchase a satellite of their on in this theory.

I think my partners argument is securing the bitcoinnetwork and that it could be a last resort if every block chain some how got corrupted in the event of a catastrophic event such as bombings of WW3?
My argument is that it could be used for other things like sending bitcoins from anywhere in the world with out internet connections.

The point of it being in deep space is that nobody should be able to just missle launch it if in the event that it was a last resort of the block chain.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 12:14:24 PM

Satellites are great for broadcasting a one-way stream of data to millions of users such as tv or radio. They can be used for two-way communication, but it's not efficient. I suppose you could use a satellite as a bitcoin service like satellite phones, but they cost several dollars per minute to access for just voice. If you need access to bitcoin in the Himalayan mountains, that may work, but so would shortwave radio.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 06:09:28 PM

Should there be a Bitcoin satellite in flying through space?  HELL YES!   Grin
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 06:22:50 PM

yes there will be a link to the satellite that will be maintained in every country, but any consumer should be able to purchase a satellite of their on in this theory.

In theory. In practise, there are countries which restricts the purchase and ownership of satellite communications equipment.

I think my partners argument is securing the bitcoinnetwork and that it could be a last resort if every block chain some how got corrupted in the event of a catastrophic event such as bombings of WW3?
My argument is that it could be used for other things like sending bitcoins from anywhere in the world with out internet connections.

The use cases are too corner for it to be worthwhile I feel. If somebody doesn't have internet access, then they are going to have problems using Bitcoin locally in the first place nevermind with the rest of the world.

If WW3 happens, I think we'd have more things to worry about than retrieving the bitcoin blockchain. Cheesy
Having enough Bitcoin users all over the world should in any case provide enough duplicate copies.

The point of it being in deep space is that nobody should be able to just missle launch it if in the event that it was a last resort of the block chain.

Anybody who has the resources to launch a missile to accurately take out a satellite in low orbit would not have much problems doing that to a satellite in deeper space as long as they know where it is. And you can't hide the Bitcoin satellite if you need to be receiving/sending blockchains Cheesy
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 06:29:13 PM

Also you'll have to consider that the block chain is supposed to grow a LOT in size if Bitcoin is really being adopted widely. This would mean that you'll need a very fast uplink + downlink just to transmit a single block before the next one has been found.

Currently it might work, but it's in no way futureproof.

If you want to have catastophic scenarios, rather look into shortwave radio.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 06:35:15 PM

tonal numbers ... deep space ... bitcoin buys some good shit!
BitVapes

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 06:41:09 PM

If you want to have catastophic scenarios, rather look into shortwave radio.

this... I want one of these, but there isn't anyone running a data repeater tower in range of me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeOYnYI1T0w

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 07:21:37 PM

i think there is still less than a TB of data storage in orbit around the earth.

Ten98

Activity: 1008
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 07:42:38 PM

No, this is a stupid idea.

If it got to the point where the only usable copy of the blockchain was stored in a deep space satellite, it would be worthless anyway.
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 08:01:24 PM

You have no idea how much your answers have helped Cheesy thank you all Wink
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 08:53:20 PM

rampone

Activity: 339

dafq is goin on

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 08:59:51 PM

Actually that satellite thingie is not that hard or mega expensive. Check out cubesats. Little solar panels two android phones(or sth similar, android phones just an example for cheap and ready to go) poack it full with sd storage and with some kind of transmission down to earth, voila: almost indestructible bitcoin node ;=)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CubeSat

EDIT:

Oh well, starting from 100k$ with shooting into space.... not that cheap, but compared to huge satellites a bargain.

http://virwox.com - Bitcoins via CCard, Skrill, paysafe, paypal & SEPA
Convert your bitcoin into spendable fiat money in less than 2 days. Poker Players use this method to avoid "unnecessary trouble" with the country they live in ... PM me for details. +1:naz86,b4nana,tinua,smart1986,fhh
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 10:54:54 PM

how far do you plan to launch that your blockchain? As TCP packets will have to travel like ~10 minutes to reach the Mars orbit, the confirmation rates would suffer ...

Wait isn't that why Satoshi made it 10 minutes in the first place? I always suspected him to be a Martian!
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 11:15:08 PM

how far do you plan to launch that your blockchain? As TCP packets will have to travel like ~10 minutes to reach the Mars orbit, the confirmation rates would suffer ...

Wait isn't that why Satoshi made it 10 minutes in the first place? I always suspected him to be a Martian!

Well, given alien influence is more plausible than Darwinian evolution as being responsible for humans, who knows.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 03:01:38 AM

Actually that satellite thingie is not that hard or mega expensive. Check out cubesats. Little solar panels two android phones(or sth similar, android phones just an example for cheap and ready to go) poack it full with sd storage and with some kind of transmission down to earth, voila: almost indestructible bitcoin node ;=)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CubeSat

EDIT:

Oh well, starting from 100k$ with shooting into space.... not that cheap, but compared to huge satellites a bargain.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CubeSat     Visionaries?

The term "CubeSat" was coined to...
rampone

Activity: 339

dafq is goin on

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 03:15:15 AM

LOL LOL LOL, coined to.... harhar

http://virwox.com - Bitcoins via CCard, Skrill, paysafe, paypal & SEPA
Convert your bitcoin into spendable fiat money in less than 2 days. Poker Players use this method to avoid "unnecessary trouble" with the country they live in ... PM me for details. +1:naz86,b4nana,tinua,smart1986,fhh
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: