Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:03:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing the Satoshi Gate  (Read 1872 times)
forexmasterja (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 04:33:11 AM

Found this while surfing and decided to share the link. What do you guys think ?

The Satoshi Gate is a new way for Bloggers to monetize their writing.

It is a WordPress plugin that allows you to collect very small, easy to make payments from your loyal readers.

It works like this.

When a user comes to your Blog, she is presented with a fresh Bitcoin address to which she may send a ‘Satoshi’ (the smallest denomination of a Bitcoin).

Once she sends the Bitcoin, The Satoshi Gate plugin does the following:

It records a hash of the IP of the visitor, and puts it in the DB against the Bitcoin address that was generated for this IP and this visit and/or this page request.

The Satoshi Gate plugin checks the blog owner’s running instance of the Bitcoin client to see if/when the payment is received.

After the payment is sent, a cookie is set and this user/IP is allowed to read the article, or is allowed access to the blog for a day, week month or in whatever way the access policy is set in the Satoshi Gate preferences pane in WordPress admin.

Satoshi Gate gives you the following advantages over other payment systems:

Free to download and use
    No recurring use fees
    Instant install
    Easy to configure
    Super small transaction fees
    Super small payments
    Unobtrusive to the readers of your blog
    No third party involvement
    Collect your money in realtime, no monthly payouts
    No risk

The Satoshi Gate allows you to specify the way you divide up and serve your content in a fine grained way.

You can run your Satoshi Gate in tip mode, where a small, vey mild floating nag box appears to one side until you tip to remove it. You can set teaser posts, or give people the first half of a post only, the rest being unlocked by a Satoshi. You can allow them to read three posts for free, then pay for the fourth. You can create flexible post bounties where an entry will be released to everyone for free after a certain amount of Bitcoins have been received… and those are just a few examples of some of the cool marketing strategies you can create and mix and match with the Satoshi Gate plugin.

Because you can ask for extremely small payments for access to your blog, no one will begrudge paying you, and if you are a good writer and have thousands of visitors, or perhaps a blog post that goes viral, it will be possible to collect significant amounts of money.

You can of course, set your Satoshi Gate to collect any number of Bitcoins, including ‘pay what you want‘ not just the smallest denomination.

The Satoshi Gate is quite naturally, open source, and will be available through the WordPress plugin site.

http://blogdial.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/introducing-the-satoshi-gate/

--** First Jamaican Bitcoin User **--
1JamaicaYQvsBkvm5JcurQBA9Kz969nsqe
Revolutionary Money Making Cloud Miner - https://cex.io/r/0/forexmasterja/0/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 05:53:01 AM

I've discussed a similar idea, except the content isn't hidden behind a paywall. Instead, the client stores the number of times you've viewed a website/article and keeps a running total, and then lists all the various participating websites that you can donate to based on how much of their content you've actually consumed. Totally opt in and voluntary instead of intrusive and exclusionary. Still, any progress is good progress.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Tril

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 09:20:21 AM

Doesn't sending one satoshi still cost at least 0.0005?

Better to use some centralized service for smaller payments, e.g. flattr
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 06:44:26 PM

Is this purely speculation at this point? Do you have a link to the repository you can share yet? I think this will be a HUGE stepping stone to get Bitcoin adopted by the common man, faster. It makes a bridge in between the ultra-techie and the pseudo-techie (and just makes facilitating Bitcoin transfers that muchm easier) and their social groups. If there eventually was an option to use Bit-Pay, I think there would be huge value in that as well.

enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 07:48:47 PM

unfortunately bitcoin is not designed for microtransactions, this would completely choke the bitcoin network
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 09:06:55 PM

unfortunately bitcoin is not designed for microtransactions, this would completely choke the bitcoin network

lolwut?

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Kyt Dotson

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 10:10:20 PM

lolwut?

I am also curious about this assertion.  Undecided

As to the OP, being someone who writes for communities, I think that I could benefit hugely from this sort of micropayment tip system -- I would probably make it contingent on allowing people early access to content (24 or 72 hours early) instead of allowing daily access. In this fashion, supporters can get extra content before non-supporters; but the content would still eventually make its way onto the web in the normal free format. Smiley

SiliconANGLE: Bitcoin Weekly (My weekly column)
Read Black Hat Magick - not your ordinary detective agency - geeky fiction
BTC: 13MPMB6wU9j9RcqFRsubtngmtmvh3guZGp
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 10:14:53 PM

lolwut?

The p2p network cannot scale to support microtransactions should the userbase hit anywhere near that of Visa or Paypal.  Although bitcoins themselves are highly divisible, microtransactions (and probably most common daily transactions, period) are going to require some third party network.  Such as a trust network among online wallet services.  Thus making such services the bitcoin version of a clearinghouse bank.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 10:32:34 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2011, 10:49:17 PM by defxor

I've discussed a similar idea, except the content isn't hidden behind a paywall. Instead, the client stores the number of times you've viewed a website/article and keeps a running total, and then lists all the various participating websites that you can donate to based on how much of their content you've actually consumed. Totally opt in and voluntary instead of intrusive and exclusionary. Still, any progress is good progress.

Also have a look att http://flattr.com if you haven't already.

It's by one of the founders of The Piratebay. I'm somewhat surprised they haven't integrated Bitcoin yet, they were one of few ways you could donate to Wikileaks and were vocal about it.
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 10:46:27 PM

All bitcon users together make like 10000 payments a day, and i think at least half of these are transfers from mining pools to miners.

PS. bitcon is a mistype. wait what dr freud said about mistypes?
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 11:00:25 PM

When i saw the thread title i thought this was gonna be about some scandal involving the creator of Bitcoin...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: