Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:30:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Christmas Gift Idea  (Read 1083 times)
sangaman (OP)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 04:57:52 PM

If you're like me and have relatives who have heard about bitcoin and are intrigued, but are also skeptical and detached from the concept of decentralized virtual currency, this might be both a nifty gift and a pleasant way to introduce people to bitcoin and start conversations. Here's what I propose:

1) Generate two addresses. Load them with roughly equal amounts of bitcoin to gift a person, the exact amount is up to you.

1a) Optionally, generate vanity addresses for one or both addresses. This could help give a more personalized touch to the gift. You can use vanitygen at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25804.0 or other tools to create the addresses. Anything up to 5 characters is fairly easy to find, 6 characters is manageable but 7+ takes quite some time in my experience.

2) Take one of the addresses and use it to create a paper wallet, preferably one that is attractive. Something tangible and that looks valuable may be more appealing to newcomers than a USB stick or a 12 random word seed or whatever. My choice will likely be the tri-fold wallet at https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/, which is a physical representation of the notion that one's public address is to be shared for receiving payment while the private key must be protected as it allows the corresponding bitcoins to be spent.

3) With the other address, create a blockchain.info wallet and import the private key so that the bitcoins are pre-loaded and ready to spend. For the wallet password, try to use something that's strong but relatively easy to remember. I'm thinking of using a pronounceable password to help with this, which can be generated some places online or with the LastPass browser plugin. Definitely advise people that if they change their password they should use something unique, random, and strong.

4) Put the paper wallet into an envelope. Print out some basic instructions on how to use blockchain.info and how to send/receive bitcoins, as well as how to import their paper wallet into their blockchain.info wallet, and put that into the envelope as well. If people are interested, I can share the instructions I write up in this thread so others can use it. Include a link to their blockchain wallet along with their password and identifier. Lastly, include a list of merchants and websites where they can buy things they might want. This should ideally be personalized for each person, but I think one go-to website would be Gyft, which lets you buy gift cards to a variety of places with bitcoin and receive a 3% discount for doing so.

5) Finally, I plan to keep an encrypted backup of all the private keys I use for gifts that I will only touch if people lose their wallets, just in case. It would certainly be a negative bitcoin experience for people to lose their paper wallet or password. This step might not be necessary with more tech-savvy people, and it shouldn't be a replacement for encouraging good security and backup habits.

6) Put a ribbon on the envelope, write their names on it, and you're good to go. If done right, you can give people personalized and attractive bitcoin gifts for Christmas that makes it easy for them to both buy something they like right now as well as hold on to a little bit for the future.

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
worldtreasurefinders

Activity: 315

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:31:09 PM

Honestly it sounds a little complex for people who really have no idea how any of this works.  I've been trying to get my parents into BTC for the better part of a year now and to them the cost of learning how it works isn't worth the hassle.  So what I did was I bought 1 BTC worth of serp's 50 mBTC coins (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=264069) and are simply giving some of them to family for xmas.  A coin is simple and something they can understand, and I told them if they ever wanted or needed to spend them, I will walk them through it.

Architect, Anarchist, Numismatist, Crypto-Enthusiast.
canton

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 01:28:29 AM

My choice will likely be the tri-fold wallet at https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/, which is a physical representation of the notion

Don't miss out on the special holiday wallet design!

https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/holiday-design/

Frost000

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 03:44:59 AM

I too was thinking of giving the gift of Bitcoin for Christmas, but the appeal doesn't seem to be quite there yet for my family. Maybe next year?

By then, I'm sure it'll be easier to find feasible ways to spend them as well, if major businesses decide to accept them in 2014.
titulng

Activity: 484

HubrisOne

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:01:01 AM

How wonderful.. A powerful and unconstrained style!

◆

▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄▄            ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██       ██      ██       ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄      ██      ▐██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▄▄██▀▀▀██▄▄        ▀██▄     ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀       ██      ██       ██              ██               ██      ██      ██              ██▀       ▀██         ██▄    ██      ▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██      ██       ██      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀      ██      ▐██▄▄▄▄        ▐█           █▌      █▄ ▀██   ██      ██▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██      ██       ██      ██▀▀▀▀▀██        ██▀▀▀▀▀▀        ██        ▀▀▀▀██▄      ▐█           █▌      ██   ██▄ ██      ██▀▀▀▀
██       ██      ██       ██      ██      ██       ██   ▄▄         ██             ▐█▌     ▐█▄         ▄█▌      ██    ▀█▄██      ██
██       ██       ██▄   ▄██       ██     ▄█▀       ██    ▀█▄       ██            ▄██       ▀██▄▄   ▄▄██▀       ██     ▀███      ██
██       ██        ▀▀███▀▀        ████████▀        ██      ▀█      ██      ███████▀           ▀▀███▀▀          ██       ██      ██████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████

▄███████████▄     
██▀       ▐█▀█▄   
██        ▐█  ▀█▄ 
██        ▐█    ▀█▄
██        ▝▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██               ██
██  ███████████  ██
██               ██
██  ██████       ██
██               ██
██▄             ▄██
▀█████████████████▀
WP

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:04:14 AM

My choice will likely be the tri-fold wallet at https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/, which is a physical representation of the notion

Don't miss out on the special holiday wallet design!

https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/holiday-design/

very nice, kudos

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
luqash3

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:00:30 PM

Nice ideas about Christmas from your side sangaman but be careful with the bitcoins. It might crash soon causing your all investment wasted this Christmas. So generate ideas without bitcoins or any other crypto-currency because it may make the worst Christmas for you. So take care with your money in bitcoins
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: