Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:35:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Current price ~$850... any reason for it to be going down?  (Read 4523 times)
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:51:31 PM

With all the good news this week (below) I'm surprised we are at $850... I'm planning to buy some more right now but I'm wondering if we are falling into another dip for some reason?

Any thoughts?

Good new form this week:

I think this entire week was full of good news, the 5 main ones that come to mind in no particular order:
1. Switzerland voting to make BTC a foreign currency
2. Baidu (china's yahoo) adding a section for bitcoin in their main page
3. http://www.usatoday.com/ adding a bitcoin logo on their main page (their high traffic, along with baidu's will definitely help increase awareness)
4. News about WallStreet and hedge funds getting into bitcoins in 2014
5. Fidelity allowing customers put bitcoins in IRAs

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 06:34:12 PM

Zero or many zeros, nobody knows ;-)

thegolden24

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

follow me on twitter @BitcoinBender

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:47:41 PM

“On an individual basis, we allowed an investor to invest in that Bitcoin Investment Trust,” said Rob Beauregard, director of public relations at Fidelity, in a telephone interview Thursday morning. “We are no longer allowing that.” -MarketWatch about 2 hours old

Bitrated user: ChrisCarreon.
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 10:44:23 PM

When the FIdelity IRA news came out I don't think it caused much pop in the BTC price so I don't expect it will hurt it much.  If you look at Gox it looks like it's in a slight downward channel.  Might want to wait and see if it goes down a little further before buying but who knows what news could come up?

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
theflyway

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:12:57 PM

So much noise these days Sad
integrity42

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 11:06:30 AM

People are taking profits along the way up.

Some big holders decided to cash out their millions and retire.

Long term trend is higher. These dips are buying opportunities.

Bitbuy

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:32:42 PM

plus, weekend dip incoming again...
Steveia

Activity: 77

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:13:53 PM

With all the good news this week (below) I'm surprised we are at $850... I'm planning to buy some more right now but I'm wondering if we are falling into another dip for some reason?

Any thoughts?

Good new form this week:

I think this entire week was full of good news, the 5 main ones that come to mind in no particular order:
3. http://www.usatoday.com/ adding a bitcoin logo on their main page (their high traffic, along with baidu's will definitely help increase awareness)

1. Not true.
2. Unaware of.
3. Means little.
4. Suspect.
5. Not true (at least not any more).

Mirsad

Activity: 140

Bitcoin - love & hate

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:28:15 PM

Switzerland voting  to make bitcoin a foreign currency?

Do you even know how long it takes, that we can vote about something?
There was a postulate in september, but it had nothing to do with voting or accepting bitcoin as foreign currency. It was about risks and potential chances of bitcoin for switzerland including legal regulations. It was just to gather informations.

Voting would take another 2-5 years from now and the implementation of a positive voting outcome would take additional 2-5 years. We are really slow with such things  Grin

< 100 BTC is not worth mentioning. Poor souls will always remain poor. Don't miss the failtrain.
Steveia

Activity: 77

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:31:46 PM

Switzerland voting  to make bitcoin a foreign currency?

Do you even know how long it takes, that we can vote about something?
There was a postulate in september, but it had nothing to do with voting or accepting bitcoin as foreign currency. It was about risks and potential chances of bitcoin for switzerland including legal regulations. It was just to gather informations.

Voting would take another 2-5 years from now and the implementation of a positive voting outcome would take additional 2-5 years. We are really slow with such things  Grin

So I am right, then, friend?
hope4me

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:35:13 PM

I'm wondering if we are falling into another dip for some reason?

Any thoughts?

Most of the over optimistic rumors are just out of reality, Schwitzerland and Wall Street to name few
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:42:30 PM

Any thoughts?

Good new form this week:

For all the 'good news', I flip Bitcoins in GBP on LocalBitcoins. I am usually amongst the most competitively priced vendors and I usually get my hands bitten off.

But lately, it has been very very slow indeed.

Not a lot of appetite for fresh Bitcoin investment at the moment from what I can tell.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:16:23 PM

2. should be hao123.com/bitcoin.  Not sure if that's a baidu site.

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
Mirsad

Activity: 140

Bitcoin - love & hate

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:19:00 PM

So I am right, then, friend?

Yes. Rumor 1 is complete BS! But it's still spreading..

< 100 BTC is not worth mentioning. Poor souls will always remain poor. Don't miss the failtrain.
Hfertig

Activity: 361

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:59:03 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2013, 03:12:51 PM by Hfertig

Double top is currently limiting upside potential
More than 6 Mio USD on loan for bitfinex on BTC long margin positions
Most news are already priced in
Lots of govs are giving warnings on bitcoins
Exchange infrastructure still fragile
start of downtrend
... and almost everybody is sitting on profits, apart of the guys who bought higher than 950...

there might be even more reasons....

EDIT: and this poll does not look pretty, next to the article...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/european-union-warns-bitcoin-120707180.html
bitkoinz

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:37:45 PM

Its not easy to get bitcoins for some people, it took 11 business days for my money to reach an exchange, maybe its easier and faster for some people but i really didnt have many other options besides a  7-10 business day wire transfer.  I miss dwolla, and if you want a large chunk transfered you have to be verified on these exchanges, which also takes time.
thecomputerscientist

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:39:38 PM

Any thoughts?

Good new form this week:

I wouldn't use any of your listed items. I think the most positive news so far is Andreessen investing $25 million in Coinbase. Anyone who is shouting "Ponzi/Pyramid scheme" will have a hard time explaining that. The other positive news I've seen is that the number of merchants accepting bitcoin is skyrocketing, so it is very likely that bitcoin will see its real mainstream breakthrough in 2014, but it requires the wallet functionality to be a little bit more user-friendly (even though blockchain.info is a great start).

So why is the price going down? Here are some reasons I speculate on:

1) The Chinese are still hesitant as the PBoC gave a clear statement that bitcoin is very risky and financial institutions in China should not invest in them. This warning spills over to regular individuals, so the buying pressure from East is greatly reduced and if the selling pressure is the same the price goes down.

2) Early adopters may cash some bitcoins out for X-mas. The volume is quite low, and selling 1k of coins (which is nothing for an early adopter) can cause the price go down quite a bit because the buying power is low. Long-term this is a good thing. The more bitcoins that come into circulation, the better.

3) Europe banking authority said it was going to issue a warning against bitcoin (and now it has done so publicly). This will reduce the number of investors going into the field. For them is a sane thing to do, because I believe that most politicians don't understand exactly how Bitcoin works, and anything that you don't understand it is just common sense to be skeptical. I still think they are wrong, but bitcoin requires maturity. Many were skeptical to Internet when Internet was young as well.

4) Then it could also be speculators/price manipulators selling bitcoin en masse to create panic and then vacuum all the cheap bitcoins.

Nevertheless, the future of bitcoin long-term looks extremely bright. Having VCs like Andreessen pumping into bitcoin businesses, and seeing new merchants accepting it every day, and all the incredible not yet invented ideas based on bitcoin (e.g. who thought about Facebook when Internet was young?). Just look at the underpinning technology in bitcoin with the scripting language to setup transactions; it's light years ahead of the traditional banking system. When you look at bitcoin it makes so much sense to have an open platform for transferring value.

Just think what Microsoft tried to do; they were planning to build their own computer network (MSN) which miserably failed. Once they realized this, they jumped on the Internet bandwagon. The same will happen for banks and bitcoin. Today banks the use their proprietary networks to transfer value which is extremely slow (and banks take fees among themselves in the process). Yet, banks don't make much money on money transfers, but more on issuing loans, so I believe banks don't care if their old technology of value transfer is replaced with something that is much more modern.

I know this for a fact as I have some insider bank connections. The reason why banks are scared of bitcoin is not what you first think. They are not threatened by the bitcoin technology, as it is just another currency for them (who cares?). They could (and will) just buying bitcoins with their tons of fiat if they think it is valuable for them. The reason why banks are hesitant is because of all the regulations on money laundering. They fear that they can lose their bank license if the government thinks that banks don't prevent money laundering, and it is unclear what precautions a bank needs to take for bitcoin to be on the safe side. Therefore, the safest option is not to deal with bitcoin at all, until governments have some firm rules.

My guess is that some nation will take the lead. I don't know if it is going to be Switzerland or some other nation, but once we have at least one nation that goes all bitcoin friendly, it is likely that other nations will follow. We're still waiting on that first nation, and whatever nation that will be, will get an incredibly head start on bitcoin adoption. If that nation plays their cards well, it will become one of the wealthiest nations on Earth. It will basically get the same financial status as London has today.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:40:35 PM

Well is it BTC really worth more than $850 right now??? or was it way over speculated before.

Hfertig

Activity: 361

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:50:05 PM

Well is it BTC really worth more than $850 right now??? or was it way over speculated before.

It is all down to personal opinion. In my view, no and yes. But most people here believe the opposite
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:52:04 PM

the same financial status as London has today.

London has a financial status?!?  So...ignored?

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: